Error 004. problem with the multi-dish switch

Discussion in 'DISH Network Support Forum' started by prashanthchou, Aug 3, 2011.

1. prashanthchou

prashanthchou Thread Starter New Member

All these years I had Dishnetwork with ONE receiver (DP-510) in living room and everything was working fine.

I wanted to add one more receiver to my bed room to connect to TV2.

I had an old receiver (dp-311) which I called dish customer service and added the 2nd receiver to my account so I can watch programs on both the TV's using both my receiver.

I had done the installation setup myself.

This is what I did in my basement (where all the cables connect).

I had a 4 way splitter (silver color splitter) which I had used this way.

IN => Connect the cable coming from Roof top Dishnetwork dish
    OUT1 => Cable going to the Receiver1 in my living room - TV1
    OUT2 => Cable going to the receiver2 in my living room - TV2

I had configured both receivers and I can watch program well on both receivers when they are INDIVIDUALLY powered on.

If I have RECEIVER-1 ON in my living room and when I go to the bed room to RECEIVER-2, then I get this message on the TV-2

"Error-4 problem with the multi-dish switch"

Moral of the story:
    ============

I can watch programs on either one of the receiver ONLY when the other receiver is OFF.

So I can watch programs in only one receiver at a time. If I turn both ON then I get the above message.

Any help ?????

Is the 4-way splitter what I am using , is it the right one or do I need to use something else ?

2. TheKrell

TheKrell SatelliteGuys God
    Pub Member / Supporter

You cannot split the cable coming down from the Dish! Given the 510 and 301, I would guess you have a twin LNB on a dish 500 getting 110 and 119. This will work and has an internal switch. Just run an individual cable from it's two outputs; one each to your receivers, and you're done.

3. garys

garys SatelliteGuys Family

Which switch are you using? What type lnbs? If you are using a normal splitter, it is not designed to work with Dish when you have two receivers turned on. You either have to use a proper switch or run a second coax line from the dish to the reactivated receiver.

4. boba

boba SatelliteGuys Family
    Pub Member / Supporter

If you still had cable what you are doing would work. With satellite it could burn up your receivers, if you don't know what you are doing hire a professional.

VigLink badge
Sucuri