eSata/usb questions for Hopper 3

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
I was thinking about connecting a 2-4 Tb eSata drive to my Hopper 3 for a redundancy situation.
Recently my Hopper 3 became problematic and I was given a replacement and it was touch and go getting all of my recordings transferred over via ethernet cable.
Out of an abundance of caution and because I had issues before, I'm thinking this might be a way to safeguard recordings; particularly if I have a great deal of them down the road.
If I connected an eSata drive:
1) Could I use it as my main source for recordings (default) or would I have to regularly transfer new recordings over to the eSata drive?
2) If #1 is true, and something happened to my Hopper and had to get another replacement, would I be able to use the eSata on a new Hopper and see my recordings?
3) Are there any playback issues with playback from an eSata (ie: lag/buffering)?
Any other considerations for some type of failsafe for recordings?

edit update: just realized the Hopper 3 doesn't have an eSata port but a USB 3 port... same questions then for the USB 3 port...

Answers to your question(s):
1) No, it has to be recorded to the Hopper 3 first and then moved to the external drive. Also, folders cannot be transferred as it will not have a folder when it's transferred while series folders, the one where one title has multiple episodes can be transferred over and remain in the series folder.
2) Since #1 is false, it's N/A
3) No but you cannot access it remotely using DISH Anywhere is the only limitation I can think of.

So I am speaking about USB 2 as while the ports are USB 2 and 3, it will only transfer at USB 2.0 speeds.
And no, there is no way to keep the same recordings on two devices unless you clone the external drive to another external drive.

Answers to your question(s):
1) No, it has to be recorded to the Hopper 3 first and then moved to the external drive. Also, folders cannot be transferred as it will not have a folder when it's transferred while series folders, the one where one title has multiple episodes can be transferred over and remain in the series folder.
2) Since #1 is false, it's N/A
3) No but you cannot access it remotely using DISH Anywhere is the only limitation I can think of.

So I am speaking about USB 2 as while the ports are USB 2 and 3, it will only transfer at USB 2.0 speeds.
And no, there is no way to keep the same recordings on two devices unless you clone the external drive to another external drive.
Ahh, this won't work for me then. Thanks.

Reactions: charlesrshell