ESPN 1080p HD?

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
t I just watched a video The Verge did on ESPN. Aaron Campbell, Senior Coordinating Director of Production Operations, says that the network is already sending out a 1080p signal that cable companies (and assuming other types of providers including satellite too) can use. Could we see ESPN in 1080p on dish network?everyone watch the youtube video and it will explain it all.

Allen bluegras

Doubt it since there is no DVB standard for transmitting live 1080p. The next resolution increase we will see from ESPN is 4K... and they ARE working on that. :)

My local cable box will output in 1080p, but it shows the native res is 720p for ESPN, the same as FOX SPORTS. NBC and CBS SPORTS show native res as 1080i. Just FYI.

Yeah, Disney and its little mice of ABC and ESPN have always been about the 720P. Ha. Aint no MVPD gonna spend the money to even THINK about sending 1080P for ESPN when 720P does things just fine and doesn't take more space on that MSO cable going to the house, and considering Joe Sixpack will NEVER see the difference (after consuming his nubmer of beers BEFORE the game starts), between a 720P and 1080P feed coming in especially with his display most likely already scaling the ESPN 720Pto the displays native 1080P. Nah. The MVPD's are gonna wait for 4K.

Once they go 4k and it is the standard , this hopefully will put to rest the need for two different standards like we have today with 720p for Fox and ABC and 1080i for NBC and CBS. I personally have my DISH receiver feed into my google revue unit and it outputs 1080p. I have it split to both my living room and computer room ,so I get 1080p in both rooms. The picture looks great .:bigok

If you are sitting 10 feet or more away from your television screen and said screen is 50 inches or smaller you cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Reactions: KAB
BTW just spoke to a friend who was actually in ESPN's tranmission center when I talked to him. He tells me they are NOT transmitting in 1080p to satellite, but can deliver it via Fiber.

If you are sitting 10 feet or more away from your television screen and said screen is 50 inches or smaller you cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.
Luckily, I am sitting about 2 feet from my tv in the computer room and the tv is sitting right next to my computer and the picture looks very good.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts