EV82 and EV91

Olver

Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
okay I'm having a little trouble getting my HD TV working from Bell Express Vu... i've got about 75% for EV91 on transponder 11 but EV82 just says wrong satellite... so this allows me to watch all the normal channels but all our HD ones are black... what am i doing wrong? if it helps i live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Agree that you're mis-aimed.... check your installation manual for aiming instructions for your area... You could be aiming too far to the left or right...

Visualize a piece if pizza or pie... some vertical (3rd) dimension, but mostly 2 dimensional.

If you're using a single dish with dual LNB, you're trying to receive a "pie-shaped" set of signals -

Also, your dish may also have to have some "skew" (rotation - think of an airplane banking) to pick both satellite locations up...

Finally, if you're new to this, pay extreme attention to vertical (plumb) mast install. Pros (or talented amateurs :)) can compensate for slightly messed up installs.

Good luck...

If you are standing behind the dish aiming it, the LNB's go backwards so 91 is on the left and 82 is on the right (when working with more than one lNB, they go opposite of what they are in the sky due to the bounce off the dish)

Actually yes, it does help that you're in Saskatchewan.........no trees to block your signal!!!! But seriously................

K, for starters, is it the 20" dish that came with your system with two LNBs and an SW21 switch? If so, proceed as follows. First and foremost your mast MUST be plumb and square...........level from the front/back and side..........if it is not then the settings for skew and elevation will mean nothing and you may get one but not the other as is the case. In your instruction manual there is a listing of settings for most cities in Canada. Refer to that for your skew setting. Set the skew of the dish BEFORE trying to align it on any satellite. This can be done before even mounting the dish on the pole, as can the elevation setting.
With that all being set correctly, NOW try and locate the 91 satellite (it'll be the stronger of the two). Peak the signal on 91 by moving the dish slowly in very very small increments east to west and up and down. Once you get an acceptable signal (above 75 is sufficient, you can get much more though if you have no LOS issues, upper 90s is not uncommon) tighten all mounting bolts then my grasping on the sides of the dish, flex it a bit back and forth and up and down to see if you can extract any more signal from it.
Now once it's set on 91 correctly and providing your post is plumb and square and your skew is set correctly then 82 should just be there with no further adjusting. Oh, and just to be sure, the 91 LNB is the one on the right when you're facing the front of the dish. If ya got that backward you can get 91 and definitely not 82. I believe it's marked on the Y-adaptor as to which is which.
Now I've found that in my area no matter what I do and how careful I am about leveling the post etc. that 82 can still be peaked from there. I have come to the conclusion that the skew setting as listed is a little off for my area. This may or may not be true for you. If you think it is, adjust the skew of the dish, maybe a degree or two and follow the procedure for setting up 91 again then see if your strength on 82 improves. If it does, you're heading in the right direction. If not, go the other way and try again. On mine at home I just struck a balance between the two as 82 is an older bird but contains all the HD content (stupid I know but there is a reason for it........so I'm told). I sacrificed a bit on 91 so 82 would be stronger.

Whew..........and if it's not the 20" dish that came with the system, what is it?

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)