Everything to Know About Those Old Dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
drhydro, I've been seeing a lot of cheap light-hanging poles in stores around here. This late in the season, they're probably marked down. How about attaching a little broom to the end of one of those?

Thats a great idea carload, and i just happen to have a "discount/clearance" store next to my place of business. Guess i'll go over there and have a look to see what they have.

Well I went next door and low and behold, they had 17' long poly snow rakes on sale. For those of you in warmer climes, snow rakes are used to clean snow off of roofs. They have a long handle with a flat blade at one end, kind of like a long, very wide hoe. This should work just fine for cleaning off my BUD.

drhydro said:
Well I went next door and low and behold, they had 17' long poly snow rakes on sale. For those of you in warmer climes, snow rakes are used to clean snow off of roofs. They have a long handle with a flat blade at one end, kind of like a long, very wide hoe. This should work just fine for cleaning off my BUD.

drhydro
how much did you pay for that? I'd love to get one for my house (too much snow on roof equals pain in ars when I want to work on them :)

and yes I know what a snowrake is...You don't live in MinneSNOWta and not know what one is

The one i found was 19.99. The funny thing is my roof is too high off the ground to use it, so i can only use if as a BUD cleaner. When snow gets that deep on the roof, I will continue to have to climb up and shovel. As for snow, here in Northern Vermont we have two seasons: Winter and August 2nd. Nuff said :)

Whats the best way to get a BUD for free. I have seen about five good condition BUDs along I-10, and i know i could take atleast 3 of them and then use parts to get a stable dish, and tho i will have to get a receiver and coax. I may not have to get everything else. (also i may end up having to get a motor, since i don't think the ones i saw were in use)
Anywho, what are some ideas and what else do you think i'd have to get if i stumbled acroos old BUDs and transported them to my backyard :D ?

Ebay, that's where I found my Winegard Pinnacle. Also do a google search for classifieds ads in your area. Before you go, make sure you ask if it has hail damage cuz the first one I went and got was pretty torn up, but it still worked ok. A week later I found the Winegard on Ebay.

winegard-dish.jpg

snow rakes work great for cleaning a BUD

drhydro said:
Well I went next door and low and behold, they had 17' long poly snow rakes on sale. This should work just fine for cleaning off my BUD.

Ive now used my snow rake a couple of times to clean snow / ice off my BUD, it works awesome. It even cleaned off the icey crust we had after the last storm with no problems, something i dont think a pushbroom would have done well with.

Neon, keep checking the absolutely free area of local classifieds, i see dishes for free up here all the time.

Read newspaper classifieds. Todo
Look around at houses alongside the interstate. Check and found about 8 BUDs, 2-3 people who prolly use FTA, and the rest look unused.
My strat is to put a flyer on their doors and it would give my email and phonenumber saying. Recyclying Dishes, Free Removal. Call xxx-xxxx email is (xxx@xxx.com).
Seem straight? PSB gave me the idea LOL or atleast helped me revise it. :D

Bump. :D
PS, on lyngsat how would i know if i needed a 4DTV, b/c i don't think i'd be getting one of those. I'd only be getting fortec star lifetime ultra receiver which is mpeg2/ac3 audio, so would that be able to receive pretty much everything there, or will i be missing out on loads and may as well save up for the 4DTV receiver?

K, time to remove a few from a list to show my parents as we won't be getting 4DTV for awhile, though if i did get a bud we'd still pick up a good deal of MPEG c band stuff.

Update. Does it have to say Digicipher for each channel it says, or when it says digiciper in one box it counts for the ones below it. Because it would say digicipher 2, and then below it wouldn't say anything. Does that mean i could still get those channels below?

Basically when it says Digicipher that means 4DTV and is it in a sequence, or only for that row. (not column)

iXneonXi said:
K, time to remove a few from a list to show my parents as we won't be getting 4DTV for awhile, though if i did get a bud we'd still pick up a good deal of MPEG c band stuff.

Update. Does it have to say Digicipher for each channel it says, or when it says digiciper in one box it counts for the ones below it. Because it would say digicipher 2, and then below it wouldn't say anything. Does that mean i could still get those channels below?

Basically when it says Digicipher that means 4DTV and is it in a sequence, or only for that row. (not column)

It says DCII and it is for all the channels under it. Most channels in DCII are hbo/max showtime starz, mtv discovery and many others. If you have a c/ku setup I would go for a 4dtv and later a dvb unit to slave, but this is up to you and what programming you really want.

here are some channels you can get with 4dtv http://www.4dtv.com/Xcel/xcel.htm scrool to bottom and select channels by category.
Some are fta, the 4d is analog and digital in one, so you also get many great free analog feeds.

So to pickup every legal channel (on both bands and from all viewable satellites) what things will i need?? that last one lost me... slightly

iXneonXi said:
So to pickup every legal channel (on both bands and from all viewable satellites) what things will i need?? that last one lost me... slightly

You did say everything.

10 foot or larger dish,
horizon to horizon mount for the dish,
wide band c-band lnb,
extended ku-band lnb,
dbs lnb,
di-electric slab (for circular feeds),
analog receiver with 4dtv model dsr-905
or a 4dtv receiver, model dsr-920 or dsr-922
dvb/mpeg fta receiver
Motorola dsr-48xx series receiver

If you also want hd and 4:2:2 feeds there is more equipment to buy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.