excellent free software needed to remove radio id, adjust amplitude and trim files

rws1

Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
The responsible use of your TimeTrax 'goodies' is really fundamentally important to us. If you are using the captured content within the guidelines of personal fair use, there should be absolutely no reason for you to be concerned about your association with the file - it's not much different than writing your name on the inside cover of a book or on a CD.

We will continue to fight for the maximum flexibility in using open standards and avoiding restrictive digital rights management but everyone has to be on board to make sure TimeTrax rocks on!

David
Time Trax Support

Ahhh....That explains some interesting things. Because there aren't any real rules posted for this forum on what I can say and not say I guess I'll just got back to recording in .. uhmm ... another format.

Yikes. unless the watermark is everywhere.

It's only a privacy concern.

Thanks for the information. I have no interest in putting the songs that I capture on any of the file sharing networks, I just don’t want my radio id in them. After reading the MP3 specification I can see where it would be a simple matter to hide just about anything you want in the file. The solution to this would be to save the songs as WAV files and do the MP3 conversion myself. Even if you put the radio id in the WAV file I don’t see any way it could survive the conversion. All of that aside, the programs I referenced are still some excellent utilities to have. Especially mp3gain, which does an outstanding job of making the volume of all the files sound the same. You might want to consider putting links to them on the Time Trax website as a service to all of your customers.

I am glad you mentioned it... Oddly enough - a MOD did not edit my post (interesting)

However, If you read the specs for WaterMarking in Digital media & rights. You can see that some WaterMarking scheme's actually survive the WAV -> MP3 conversion.

With that said... What other things is TT doing in the background?

Not the sharpest tools....

Just stop and think about what you are posting and where. If you like this software and would like to continue to use it perhaps you should keep some things to yourself. Right now the powers that be are looking the other way. Wouldn't you like to keep it that way? If your using the files for your personal use then who cares about the radio id? I wouldn't mind if they put in my name, address and phone number in a watermark or anywhere else. The files I record are for me and I don't give them out. Perhaps the next version should include DRM? I really enjoy being able to time shift XM and don't want to loose that ability. Anything they can do to keep the law away from this software is fine with me. Why do some of you have such a problem with this?

Its a matter of privacy

I have no intentions of duplicting my music either, it gives me access to my subscription during the day, but I dont ike that if someone sniffs my files or hacks my system and does get the file, and for some weird reason wants to get my personal information, my radio ID is out in the open.

I did read the agreement buying this sofware and abide by the terms, however I dont agree with having my ID exposed by the software.

What could anyone do with your radio ID? Would you not put personal data in Quicken (or any other file on your machine for that matter) for fear that someone might steal it? I just don't understand the logic.....

Well when the FBI busts some big MP3 ring and it finds tons of MP3 files with a radioID embedded, it will subpeona Timetrax to get the name and address of the person who owns that radioID. Then it will come knocking on the door of the person who had create these files to begin with.

Basically, if you're not doing anything illegal outside of fair personal use, then you really don't care that your radio ID is embedded in the files. However, if your computer somehow gets compromised (or stolen) and now all the MP3 files that you had on your computer were now out there for everyone to use, then you might care what's in them.

mattbell said:
What could anyone do with your radio ID? Would you not put personal data in Quicken (or any other file on your machine for that matter) for fear that someone might steal it? I just don't understand the logic.....

"mattbell"
I suggest you stop and read what I had said in my second post, actually supporting the TT people with digital watermarking in WAV would survive the WAV -> MP3 conversion, and showing that even if you record in another format it might not save you from the digital watermarking.

Regardless of this factor. There is obvious concern from both parties, the TT people and the end user. They can provide ways of securing the files and I can show my concern about it. Considering there seems to be so many more NEW problems with TT software, it kinda makes you wonder are they concerned about me at all or are they just making sure that XM doesn't come over to them and stop them.

There will always be people that feel they shouldn't be "watched" or "tagged" just because someone ELSE does a "cover their ass" scenario. the MP3s from TT should be untraceable because its MY JOB to govern my ability to control MY DATA. Its not their JOB to do this. They made it their hob because when you create a product that violates someone elses TOS agreement you have to let them know you are doing something to help stop it.

Thats all. No one is ever happy about being watched. Regardless of how you think its ok for them to put your info into an MP3 file.

Sorry if you think a post on a forum will stop TT from producing a product that they are obviously making a living from.

Hello dkieffer,

I would like to know exactly what specific information TimeTrax “Watermarks” onto the audio file and other computer files when I use the TimeTrax software.

It has been rumored that besides “Watermarking” the Radio ID that the TimeTrax Software also “Watermarks” the purchasers Credit Card Number, Computer ID Number and TimeTrax Serial Number. It is rumored that the Credit Card Number, Computer ID Number, and TimeTrax Serial Number is added to the TimeTrax Software Files that are installed on the computer when the TimeTrax software program “Calls Home” through the Internet Connection during the Serial Number verifying procedure.

I believe I have the right to ask exactly what specific information TimeTrax “Watermarks” onto my computer files. By asking this question doesn’t imply that I am attempting to remove this information.

Under the guidelines of personal fair use I believe I have the right to know exactly what specific information the TimeTrax software is “Watermarking” onto my audio and computer files. I am not concerned about having the Radio ID “Watermarked” on my audio files but I am concerned if in fact my Credit Card Number is “Watermarked” to audio files without my knowledge.

As an end user of TimeTrax Software I have the right to know what specific information the TimeTrax Software “Watermarks” onto my computer files.

Best Regards,
Retsaoc

What are the sharpest tools?

The main program I use is Adobe Audition. Not everyone is going to go out and buy this. The programs I referenced are some free ones that I found that do a good job of what I wanted to do. If you know of some that you think are better, clue me in.
I've got to go now, since I don't have anything to worry about because I'm not doing anything illegal I need to get busy uninstalling my anti-spyware and virus software, and turn off my firewall. I also have a telemarketer on the other line that I guess I need to give all of my personal info too.

I also use Audition... so easy to use.

1 caution about MP3Gain if I remember right... When I have used it in the past, I have found that I have to set the resulting file bitrate really high to keep the quality. If I don't, it sounds horrible. I stopped using it as a result.

Another great utility that I use often (and I have a pretty big MP3 library...45,000+) is Bulk Rename Utility. It is also free and does a great job of renaming multiple files in just about any way feasable. I also use Tag & Rename and Helium (not so much anymore though) and those cost $$.

ringo said:
1 caution about MP3Gain if I remember right... When I have used it in the past, I have found that I have to set the resulting file bitrate really high to keep the quality. If I don't, it sounds horrible. I stopped using it as a result.

That is incredibly hard to believe, although I can't state that you didn't get the results you reported - I wasn't there.

MP3Gain is _very_ non-destructive. It changes absolutely nothing in the waveform of the file. All it does is adjust a number in the frame header that provides a baseline volume reference for that frame.

You could run it 100 times, applying different settings each time, and then run it a last time restoring the original setting, and the end result would be identical to the original file.

It is one of the must trusted utilities available for manipulating MP3 files.

We never did see answers to our questions about what Time Trax was encoding to our mp3 files.

Any chance a TT member could help us out?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)