Expanded DLNA capabilities!

WheelieMan711

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Though I've not yet had time to try it, I've noticed that the new software update might have added some new DLNA capabilities. With the "play to" feature in Windows Media Player, which allows it to act as a digital media controller (DMC), one of my hoppers shows up as a digital media renderer (DMR). This means I should be able to control audio and video playback for supported file formats directly from my computer or other devices with DMC capabilities.

Since I've been experimenting with these capabilities of DLNA lately on other devices, I was excited to see it is now possible with the Hoppers. I've also found a few iPhone/iPad/Android apps that act as a DMC so I should now be able to send music from my iPhone and iPad directly to my Hoppers. I would like to do some more experimenting myself to see what it is capable of once I get the chance. I will try to keep everyone informed on what I find out and let you know what apps work best. I'd like to hear of your experiments with these features as well.

I hope they've added more codec support! That's my biggest complaint. I'm stuck converting all the MP4's to MKV normal profile x264 AAC for it to work with the whole home...

I'll have to check it out, thanks for the heads up!

Older hopper, and S238 software.
So I have been experimenting with DLNA with Windows Media Player (WMP) on my Windows 7 PC, as well.

1) From the Hopper, I see my NAS drive exposed and can drill down to my videos (AVI files for now), but when I go to play them on the hopper, they don't play. Just nothing happens.
2) From the Hopper, I DON'T see my Windows Media Play exposed.
3) I also see that 'play to' feature on my WMP and I see the Echostar / hopper 'play to' DMC. But when I play a AVI file, I get a pop-up on the hopper alerting me a video is coming through. But when I click 'OK', nothing happens and it just goes back to my live dish feed.
4) What codecs are supported? - Also tried to 'play to' an MP4 from WMP, but the playback on the hopper was choppy and not good. And then I got a whole bunch of pop-ups on my hopper and had to kill WMP on my PC.

It looks like it is just not there quite yet. But getting there, unless I am missing some setup or setting somewhere that is needed for the hopper to talk to WMP on my PC.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I would like to get a full DLNA installation to work on my hopper from my PC with WMP and NAS like it does on my DVD's and TV.

My VC-1 rips are playing, however my H.264 Rips are not.

Of course, the majority of my ripped library is H.264 -- it's still nice to see them moving forward with increased support.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

The Hopper is indeed a digital media controller, but you have to run a program first for it to work properly. I believe the command is RUN-DMC. Sorry, couldn't resist!

where do I run this Run-DMC program? If on the hopper, how do I find it and run it (I have never run a program on the hopper). If on my PC, I don't see run-dmc.exe anywhere on my PC.

BTW I VERY MUCH LIKE the improvements DISH has made to their DLNA support! It is SO GOOD to be able to fast forward and rewind now as well! :)

I have been using PLayon (yes it cost money).
But it plays everything.
I also can get local News from just about every City as it streams everything free on the web, and I do mean everything with Adobe Flash Video- which is most now a days.
Basically just find a local news station with live streaming news then use the Play on script Maker to make your own channel, and you got it.
I also made some for Live Radar.
It also plays local Ripped MOvies saved to my Windows PC.
The key to all this is you need very fast PC. Mine is an Intel i7 slower PCs get you choppyness and low res.
You also need a fast network. My home network has Gigbit from the PC to the HIC. You do not need a fast cable modem (I was surprise), I just use 1.5 meg down, one of the cheaper ones- yet all video plays fine. The key is the 1.5 meg down speed is rock solid constant because my cable model is throttled back at that speed. I tested according to speed test dot net

I was using my Hopper to browse and play my media from my phone for some time. I then found the Hopper was a 'Renderer', allowing me to push music, video, etc to my Hopper remotely (just needed to hit OK on the Hopper the first time I'd push content each day). Well, hard drives go bad, and my Hopper suffered it's demise last week. I received my new Hopper a few days ago. Since I've gotten the replacement, I noticed that it doesn't show up on my network as a 'Renderer'. I am still able to go to the Home Media tab in the menu and browse/play content, but there were certain functions that having the box as a Renderer I do not want to lose. Does anyone know why it's no longer showing up as a Renderer and/or how to get that function back? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

BTW I VERY MUCH LIKE the improvements DISH has made to their DLNA support! It is SO GOOD to be able to fast forward and rewind now as well! :)
Is it only video that can be fast forwarded? I would like the ability to fast forward mp3's (podcasts), but if it is possible I haven't been able to figure it out.

Scott, any idea why my replacement Hopper isn't showing up on my network as a DLNA renderer (only a client that can browse my server), while my previous Hopper did show up and function as a renderer?

Still does not play stuff from my Sony HD Camcorder.
But my Fire TV and Fire Sticks with XBMC play them just fine. No biggie.

No biggie other than the philosophical implications of a high-end expensive product not being up to the capabilities of a multitude of cheap products...

Reactions: foghorn2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)