Express Vu/Star Choice Satellite

Lars said:
OK, now I am really confused. This looks like they have 9 total channels of HD and fill them with whatever seems to be best at that time slot. HELP!

At least ExpressVu has dedicated HD channels and networks.

OK, that's exactly what it is. They choose the best rated stuff out there and place it on the 9 channels they have. Good stuff, but not one show is not available on my Charter cable I have now (just installed HD service with DVR). So, unlike Voom, nothing new. However, EV* seems to at least have some interesting different stuff. I am back to square one. EV* looks good, but no DVR and the price is steeper. SC* is cheaper, but nothing different from what's out there over other services.

I'll keep you posted on "as the Canadian Satellite Turns".

Hi,

Easiest way to see what is on the 9 Starchoice omnibus channels is here.....
http://www.cancombroadcast.com/affiliates/services/HD_schedule_e.asp

Do not be fooled by ExpressVU's 25+ HD channels they are indeed mainly upconverts. There simply is not 25 channels worth of material out there to show.

You are paying $10 a month to get everything over and over. US networks ease and west and Canadian networks east and west all showing the exact same thing wasting bandwidth.

Kryspy

Iceburg...I have a 10ft BUD with C and KU horn with a GI 4DTV receiver Can that be used as my dish for STARCHOICE with just changing the Feeds to get all the SAT's? I am looking forward to your post as in my area I don't get any of the HD network feeds but PBS. Or is the HD sidecare avialable. I don't know what my options would be.

gutter said:
Iceburg...I have a 10ft BUD with C and KU horn with a GI 4DTV receiver Can that be used as my dish for STARCHOICE with just changing the Feeds to get all the SAT's? I am looking forward to your post as in my area I don't get any of the HD network feeds but PBS. Or is the HD sidecare avialable. I don't know what my options would be.

If you aim it at the SC satellites with a KU Band LNBF, it would work

The only problem is HD is on 111.1 and most English stuff is on 107.3 (2 separate satellites) so there may be an issue there

Vu customer and Bud owner

Hey guys, I am a newbie here that has been lurking for awhile. Anyhow I am a Vu customer and in my opinion the service sucks. on Thursday at 10 pm you start to watch ER and the programmers at Bell start switching the feed, you could watch the first 15 seconds of ER over and over again for 2 minutes...very annoying.

The true HD channels are the US networks with US commercials, the Canadian channels like HD CityTv/CTV and CBC and basically SD channels that offer Dolby Left/right audio and rarely 5.1 as what CBS/NBC/WGN have.

The TMN (The Movie Network) offers movies in HD at set times only, the channel could be black until 10pm at night, and mostly there HD movies are simulcast with HBO.

I have been with Vu for 8 years and know what I am talking about, I pay $46cdn including tax for the Digital package, the superstations(TBS/KTLA/WPIX) and the HD Package.

I am also a bud owner, and have seen many bud owners switch over to Starchoice and then try to switch back again only finding out they are not able to anymore(something in the download that renders the receiver inoperable to the US signal).

I was very interested in getting Voom and had just convinced my buddy in the states to do a swap, Vu for Voom , then this happened. I will be adding morechannels like showtime and Starz to my Bud as the way I llok it, we can all get network feeds of HD, but the channels strictly dedicated to movies are limited and it looks like the BUD offers more of them.

I may not be a pro on this, but I do know what I am talking about when it comes to Vu, and if Starchoice had their offerings and groupings like Vu, I would be a Star customer in a heartbeat...PQ is excellent on Star comapred to bell..and these are only the regular channels I am talking about..Motorola makes good sh*t.

Hopefully this was of some service to you guys, need anything other info..give me a shout

Jager

Jager said:
Hey guys, I am a newbie here that has been lurking for awhile. Anyhow I am a Vu customer and in my opinion the service sucks. on Thursday at 10 pm you start to watch ER and the programmers at Bell start switching the feed, you could watch the first 15 seconds of ER over and over again for 2 minutes...very annoying.
yep the dreaded simsub. Bell does it to everyone, starchoice does it receiver level
The true HD channels are the US networks with US commercials, the Canadian channels like HD CityTv/CTV and CBC and basically SD channels that offer Dolby Left/right audio and rarely 5.1 as what CBS/NBC/WGN have.

The TMN (The Movie Network) offers movies in HD at set times only, the channel could be black until 10pm at night, and mostly there HD movies are simulcast with HBO.
knew about the US HD but not the movie ones, thanks for that clarification
I have been with Vu for 8 years and know what I am talking about, I pay $46cdn including tax for the Digital package, the superstations(TBS/KTLA/WPIX) and the HD Package.

I am also a bud owner, and have seen many bud owners switch over to Starchoice and then try to switch back again only finding out they are not able to anymore(something in the download that renders the receiver inoperable to the US signal).

I was very interested in getting Voom and had just convinced my buddy in the states to do a swap, Vu for Voom , then this happened. I will be adding morechannels like showtime and Starz to my Bud as the way I llok it, we can all get network feeds of HD, but the channels strictly dedicated to movies are limited and it looks like the BUD offers more of them.

I may not be a pro on this, but I do know what I am talking about when it comes to Vu, and if Starchoice had their offerings and groupings like Vu, I would be a Star customer in a heartbeat...PQ is excellent on Star comapred to bell..and these are only the regular channels I am talking about..Motorola makes good sh*t.

Hopefully this was of some service to you guys, need anything other info..give me a shout

Jager
Thanks so much for the insight Jager. This may help out some people.

Welcome to the site :wave
Dont be a stranger :)

(I love my SC setup....was sick of simsubs and inferior PQ with ExpressVu)

Yes, Starchoice is good, and in Canada they are the underdog with subscriber base, Vu had the jump on them and basically bought controlling interests in all the "local tv stations" and were up and broadcasting local feeds while Star was still in the basement.

My Vu receiver 6120 has died 3 times now, its only 5 months old..yeah I also get a new one but it seems like a reoccuring problem..no power.

If you really want the TMN movie channels on Bell in HD, it will cost you an extra $20 cdn plus tax on top of the standard digital package of $30 cdn plus tax.

If you live west of the Manitoba/Ontario border you will get Movie Central and east of this line you will get The Movie Network...funny thing is...if you are hacked...you get them both...figure that out, must be their programming laws.

In the past few months I have seen some extra charges added on and channel changes (good channel with 5 useless ones).

Also for Bev you need the dish with the "Y" yolk adapter as their HD channels are on sat 82 and the regulars are at 91. I think the Dish unit would work with it.

Last thing..with programming like MTV and A&E and others..you will see it first south of the border.....we are the rerun premiere country..lol

take care....and I really like this place..lots of good information..I only wish someone would take everything Voom had and put it up in the sky...if they would have held out for another year...the numbers would have drastically improved...HDTV is on a major rollout in both countries...

Jager

Jager said:
Yes, Starchoice is good, and in Canada they are the underdog with subscriber base, Vu had the jump on them and basically bought controlling interests in all the "local tv stations" and were up and broadcasting local feeds while Star was still in the basement.

My Vu receiver 6120 has died 3 times now, its only 5 months old..yeah I also get a new one but it seems like a reoccuring problem..no power.

well, Dish does make EVu's receivers....and we all know how reliable they are :)
If you really want the TMN movie channels on Bell in HD, it will cost you an extra $20 cdn plus tax on top of the standard digital package of $30 cdn plus tax.

If you live west of the Manitoba/Ontario border you will get Movie Central and east of this line you will get The Movie Network...funny thing is...if you are hacked...you get them both...figure that out, must be their programming laws.

I still havent figured out the reasonign beind the "West gets Movie Central and E gets TMN"...probably ownership
In the past few months I have seen some extra charges added on and channel changes (good channel with 5 useless ones).
yep. thats one of the reasons I left EVu...the radio stations werein one package, now they're in 2. Also, at the time the package I had was below the minimum, so they wanted me to upgrade to the new packs.
Also for Bev you need the dish with the "Y" yolk adapter as their HD channels are on sat 82 and the regulars are at 91. I think the Dish unit would work with it.
Yes a Dish Twin would work....funny that EVu still sells the HD receiver without the 2nd LNB
Last thing..with programming like MTV and A&E and others..you will see it first south of the border.....we are the rerun premiere country..lol
so true....and sadly there are channels that just regurgitate the reruns from other channels
take care....and I really like this place..lots of good information..I only wish someone would take everything Voom had and put it up in the sky...if they would have held out for another year...the numbers would have drastically improved...HDTV is on a major rollout in both countries...

Jager
don't be a stranger :)

Thanks again to everyone involved. I sat up late last night and did as much homework as I can and it appears that the thought of either of these services replacing Voom is a pipedream. I went through the StarChoice HD listings and didn't find one show that was not already on my cable provider's with their 12 paltry HD channels. BEV just sounds like more of the same, especially if the HD movie channel is only on at certain times. I think I am going to get D* reactivated on the cheapest plan with basic HD just so I can get the HDNet Channels (the only channels D* has that I don't already get) and Sunday Ticket HD next fall. Then we'll see whether D* lives up to their promises in the future and go from there. I wouldn't even bother right now, but I have an old first generation RCA HD box and if I hook it up, I'll at least get a free upgrade when mpeg-4 comes around.

StarChoice/ExpressVIew

Could we rename this thread StarChoice/Express-Vu? I see that Star Choice seems to be outrunning Express Vu.

Is it true the HDD 200 for the C-band 4dtv 922 HD reception can ALSO be used with the Star Choice SD Receiver? If so, which of Star Choice's Sd receiver would it work with (if there are more than two)? And can the HDD 200 be used for BOTH systems at the same time?

bookwalk,

Yes, the HDD 200 and 201 both work with Starchoice to decode HD. The sidecar works with all the 4xx receivers such as the 401 and 405 inclusive.

Kryspy

Thank you Lars, the other posters on this thread!

Lars said:
Thanks again to everyone involved. I sat up late last night and did as much homework as I can and it appears that the thought of either of these services replacing Voom is a pipedream. I went through the StarChoice HD listings and didn't find one show that was not already on my cable provider's with their 12 paltry HD channels. BEV just sounds like more of the same, especially if the HD movie channel is only on at certain times. I think I am going to get D* reactivated on the cheapest plan with basic HD just so I can get the HDNet Channels (the only channels D* has that I don't already get) and Sunday Ticket HD next fall. Then we'll see whether D* lives up to their promises in the future and go from there. I wouldn't even bother right now, but I have an old first generation RCA HD box and if I hook it up, I'll at least get a free upgrade when mpeg-4 comes around.

This info will help us make our choice of another provider if any. Currently, we receive all the network HD feeds OTA. Doen't seem as though there is enough additional HD available on either ExpressVU or StarChoice to warrent signing up. Looks like our only real "choice" may be Comcast since we are using them for broadband at this point. But not much choice since they carry so little additional HD programming. Can't make up for all the VOOM exclusives which we watch almost exclusively.

And for you, Lars,

we're still enjoying HDTV under rainy (what else!) Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
This info will help us make our choice of another provider if any. Currently, we receive all the network HD feeds OTA. Doen't seem as though there is enough additional HD available on either ExpressVU or StarChoice to warrent signing up. Looks like our only real "choice" may be Comcast since we are using them for broadband at this point. But not much choice since they carry so little additional HD programming. Can't make up for all the VOOM exclusives which we watch almost exclusively.

And for you, Lars,

we're still enjoying HDTV under rainy (what else!) Seattle skies, Gill

very true. If you can get the nets OTA, EVu &/or SC really won't help as most HD is just that (the US nets).

Plywod

Alot of the US channels are not approved in Canada...so they have channels that are close
US channel-Canadian channel
SciFi-Space
ESPN-TSN
Comedy Central-Comedy Network
ABC Family-Family Net
E!-Star!
ESPN News-The Score
Disney, Nick-Treehouse & YTV

But SC has Fox News and a good version of G4Tech TV :)

Glad I "stumbled" across this thread - did NOT know of this option until now so I bookmarked info to ponder more - spent about 1/2 hour planning our what I might subscribe to in the StarChoice Menu BUT came to a HALT when I finally went to the bottom of that page and found out that there is an ANNUAL $75 charge for US Customers. That will stifle me new Satellite dreams right there. :mad:

cyberized said:
Glad I "stumbled" across this thread - did NOT know of this option until now so I bookmarked info to ponder more - spent about 1/2 hour planning our what I might subscribe to in the StarChoice Menu BUT came to a HALT when I finally went to the bottom of that page and found out that there is an ANNUAL $75 charge for US Customers. That will stifle me new Satellite dreams right there. :mad:

most brokers are 50-75 US
but with the Cad $$ cobnversion, it helps the blow

Example is basic SC package with broker at $75 (if you are using KUsat, the $75 is CAD $$ but we'll use US $$ for the example below)
23.00 CAD (after taxes)
19.00 US rate (www.xe.com)

$75/12=6.25 a month

So its 2.25 more to get it...worth it in my book :)

TKS - forgot that ALL those prices at their are quoted in Canadian MOO-LA, I'd better look again and re-calculate into Green Back dollas! Alot more tempting realizing me error - I'd sure MISS my Fox Sports NW though and all the local Sports it provides.

One other question - about package choices and prices etc. The options are greater for StarChoice at CanAm Site vs. the StarChoice Site????

TKS Michael

I dont know about the canam site, but SC allows alot of flexibility with channels that you can pick without taking a whole theme :)

Iceberg said:
I still havent figured out the reasonign beind the "West gets Movie Central and E gets TMN"...probably ownership

It has always been that way even during and before the old C-Band days. Both of these channels started out as a regional pay channel (much like how HBO started) and they both wanted to maintain their regional exclusivity.

I have heard that national rates for the US Hollywood movies are too expensive so each maintains its regional exclusivity. Population may have something to do with it also, there just simply isn't enough premimum service households to support 2 national services. Sort of like the lesser of two evils, better to have two regional services than having one national and one go out of business.

Back in the mid 80's there was a national premimum service, but it only lasted a few years.

Iceberg said:
I dont know about the canam site, but SC allows alot of flexibility with channels that you can pick without taking a whole theme :)

Bev does the same thing. On the brochure the mini-packs with a check mark can have the channels purchased individually for something like a $1.50 so that you can create your own mini-pack. It's cheaper just to buy a couple of the mini-packs though.

It would sure be nice if we could have the same flexibility here in the states.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)