External HD goes to sleep?

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
I don't use my external drive a lot. But whenever I go to access it. It is a sleep. Than it's a process to wake it up and be identified. Anybody else have this problem is there a work around? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

I don't use my external drive a lot. But whenever I go to access it. It is a sleep. Than it's a process to wake it up and be identified. Anybody else have this problem is there a work around? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks
That's the way it works. Most hard drives go to sleep with no activity.

On Hopper, the first time you access the external drive, it will take some time to fill in the icons. The first attempt to play something will fail. You usually just get a black screen. You need to go back to live TV, then go back into the external listing and select the program again. The second time should work.

In my opinion, this is a bug.

It used to be that you'd get a disk spinning up alert that would go away eventually, then your program would play.

[QUOTE="kwindrem, post: 4048395, member: 44860

It used to be that you'd get a disk spinning up alert that would go away eventually, then your program would play.[/QUOTE]

Mine still works this way. Just happened last night

Reactions: budda
Since the last three software updates our H3 has been sometimes showing the external HDD "Sources" folder and sometimes not showing it. A reboot usually recovers the icon. Anyone else have this?

Reactions: budda
Since the last three software updates our H3 has been sometimes showing the external HDD "Sources" folder and sometimes not showing it. A reboot usually recovers the icon. Anyone else have this?

Yep. Every morning my EHD disappears from my DVR list. A reset from the menu doesn't fix it, I have to do a "red button reboot" to get it back. Then it's fine all day, all night, I was watching something on it at midnight last night, then this morning it's gone again.

Every single morning. I tried a completely different drive, different manufacturer, same thing. Tried new high end USB to EHD cables, no help. Tried the 3.0 and the 2.0 USB drives, doesn't matter.

Every morning, EHD is gone. Major bug, major PIA.

We have two drives here. They both go to sleep at times. A "red button reboot" brings them back. The biggest problem that we have here is that sometimes "Drive 1" becomes "Drive 2" and vice versa. Then we have to look at what's on the drive before making a transfer. Before we did that, movies would get transferred to the wrong drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts