External HD Recordings not playing back on Hopper 3, recorded with Hopper 2000

Almighty1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, California USA
I upgraded to a Hopper 3 DVR on February 7, 2016 as a upgrade to the Hopper 2000. I transferred the recordings to a external Hard Drive from the Hopper 2000. I plugged in the Hard Drive to the Hopper 3 on the rear bottom USB 3.0 port and can select the External Device 1. When I choose the recording, it shows exactly the exact time remaining I have watched it and I get to resume or start over. However, when I pick either of the options, it comes back with a box that reads:

"Attention 1221

External Device 1" is in spin-up state. Wait for activation."
and it has a OK button. when I click OK, the screen turns black with no video or audio.

Anyone experienced this and know how to fix it? Thanks!

I upgraded to a Hopper 3 DVR on February 7, 2016 as a upgrade to the Hopper 2000. I transferred the recordings to a external Hard Drive from the Hopper 2000. I plugged in the Hard Drive to the Hopper 3 on the rear bottom USB 3.0 port and can select the External Device 1. When I choose the recording, it shows exactly the exact time remaining I have watched it and I get to resume or start over. However, when I pick either of the options, it comes back with a box that reads:

"Attention 1221

External Device 1" is in spin-up state. Wait for activation."
and it has a OK button. when I click OK, the screen turns black with no video or audio.

Anyone experienced this and know how to fix it? Thanks!

Can you please send me a PM with your account number and 4 digit Pin # and R00 and software version and Boot strap and the model of External hard drive and the size.

Reactions: Almighty1
Can you please send me a PM with your account number and 4 digit Pin # and R00 and software version and Boot strap and the model of External hard drive and the size.
Just sent you a PM with account number, 4 digit pin and other info you needed.

Where do I find the R00 or better yet, what is it listed under when I hit Menu Menu to get the diagnostics screen?
Software version U303
Boot Strap 1010

Also, I tried the EHD on the Hopper 2000 and all recordings are there but when I look at the same EHD on the Hopper 3, a lot of recordings are missing even though it is still taking the same 62% of space.

I tried online tech support last night who did not get anywhere after 3 hours and just added more insults to the matter.

To make it easier to understand the problem, here are some photos I have taken of the problem:
kngX24m.jpg

lBdnpF2.jpg

NvNkz6W.jpg

egvIvEF.jpg

RMSlL46.jpg

I click on OK and this is what I get and holding down the back button on the 52.0 remote doesn't do anything, I can only do a channel up or down and it will show a prompt to go back to Live Mode which is the only way to get video again as it will be tuned to that channel:
Y6QK3DV.jpg

KNXTKoH.jpg

Now let's take a look at the recordings as I will show the screen of the recordings, first with the Hopper 3 which seems to be missing recordings if you look at the number of episodes for each title:

XkS5TJU.jpg

ITaeakN.jpg

GB1iVTD.jpg

Compare that to the same External Hard Drive that is now connected on the Hopper 2000 which was the source of the recordings as you will notice each title has way more episodes:
nCIOtkT.jpg

mMPZw9n.jpg

A0EnR6d.jpg

And just to show the capacity of the External HD along with free space available:
6T27fVT.jpg

Hard to tell as its a Western Digital My Book 2TB EHD. It works fine with the H2K, doesn't the H3 need some kind of authorization to allow it to play back recordings that were recorded using another receiver, otherwise people would be taking their EHDs to their friend's DISH Hoppers and then it would work.

I am on the same account, the H2K is no longer activated after the H3 is activated. DISH Online tech support said the fix might be to reactivate the H2K first with the EHD attached and update to the Carbon UI, not sure if that is the case. Not sure if it makes any difference if I transferred recordings before, during and after the H3 install or not.

Is it just a standard authorization hit or is it specifically to turn on the EHD? As I remember 2 nights ago, it did say something on the screen about activating the HD and it can take up to 5 minutes when I put the H3 in standby but I was sleepy and didn't remember exactly what it said.

That's what I thought as I read others had a problem when they got replacement receivers in a thread somewhere that was dated a few years ago. In any case, I haven't tried pulling power on the H3 yet except in my case, I remember when it was installed, the installer tried to use check switch status in diagnostics and basically what happen was it immediately went to 60% and got stuck there even after waiting 5 minutes, he did it three times with the same results and finally gave up by testing to see if different channels work and then left. I tried it after he left a few times with the same results until I pulled the power and plugged it back in, then check switch completed within a few seconds. Since DIRT responded in this thread, I'll let DIRT figure it out as I haven't gotten far with DISH online tech support. Do you or anyone know where I can find the R00 that DIRT was asking for in post #2? I just did a search and R00 is supposed to be the Receiver ID which starts with R00 except on my H3, I hit Menu twice and the Receiver ID starts with a R but it doesn't begin with 00.

I'm planning to clone the EHD to another EHD using this method just so I have a backup:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/transferring-from-old-hopper-to-hopper-with-sling.337216/

Not sure if this can be done with Macrium Reflect or not.

Press the home button three times and its the second line down labeled as "receiver id".
Thanks, I miscounted, kept thinking it was twice but it is three times. When I google for "R00 DISH", it seems to be that the number is supposed to start with R00 and is basically the Receiver ID, that's probably why I couldn't find what I was looking for as I thought it started with R00 which is R19 on my H3.

According to DIRT, they only have one kind of hit, a general authorization. They said they have checked and do not show an error 1221 currently in their system/database, so they have no specific troubleshooting for that. They do show a hit was sent to the account though, and that a report was sent to their operations team.

In any case, I got the recordings working except here are the three different scenarios:

1) Western Digital My Book 2TB which is a WD20EZRZ Green drive in it's enclosure with external power - the problems as described above - this was how it was originally recorded.
2) The same WD20EZRZ drive with the ThermalTake BlacX HDD Docking Station with external power - same problems as described above
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002058
3) The same WD20EZRZ drive with the Unitek Model Y-3322A USB3.0 to IDE+SATA Converter with ON/OFF Switch - works fine and shows all recordings
http://www.unitek-products.com/en/product_detail.php?id=196

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts