External HDD feature for ViP622 and ViP722: coming 8/15: $39.99

I intend on using the rear usb port for my external hard drive . I am not going to keep the front of my 622 open so I can use the front usb port.

If they keep having to rollback software on the 622, they may never be able to implement USB HD.

Rolled back L4.06 to L4.05 and today rolled back L4.09 to L4.05.

Maybe they should just call the next upgrade L4.05, maybe it'll stick.

The software writers actually need to test the new software before they spring it on an unsuspecting public. IT is funny to me how they do it now. They just write the new stuff they want to add without checking to see if it causes any problems with any other pre existing software elements. THen we all gripe about what is broken and they try to patch what they broke without breaking something else. Well I guess this software for L4.09 had enough problems that it made more sense to just roll it back to the previous L4.05 software that actually worked without issues.

The software writers actually need to test the new software before they spring it on an unsuspecting public.
The current group of beta testers is either a) too small, b) not very good, or c) not testing enough or doesn't know what to test.

I wonder if some testers are afraid to be too critical in fear that they'll lose their beta status ??

Hall:

I hate bugs; but I appreciate beta testers that find 'em. That means they've done their job :D

Yes, I dabble in some elementary software stuff -- a lot of automated builds and such with wrapper scripts etc.

Cheers,

The problem with these threads is they get so long you can't find information. I need to know the following:

The HD needs to be formatted prior to use. Who does the formatting? Me or the receiver?

Is the formatting FAT32 or some proprietary formatting scheme?

Can I use a NAS enclosure or do I need to use a plain external enclosure?

I can use a SATA drive, right?

The interface is USB 2.0, right?

Thanks.

The problem with these threads is they get so long you can't find information. I need to know the following:

The HD needs to be formatted prior to use. Who does the formatting? Me or the receiver?

Is the formatting FAT32 or some proprietary formatting scheme?

Can I use a NAS enclosure or do I need to use a plain external enclosure?

I can use a SATA drive, right?

The interface is USB 2.0, right?

Thanks.
The receiver does the formatting.
The format is proprietary, I believe Linux based.
NAS enslosure? No experience there.
SATA...Yes...with a SATA interface enclosure.
Right, USB 2.0

Thanks for the reply KAB. So essentially all I need to do is put a HD in my enclosure and plug it into my 622's USB port. The receiver does the rest.

The receiver does the formatting.
The format is proprietary, I believe Linux based.
NAS enslosure? No experience there.
SATA...Yes...with a SATA interface enclosure.
Right, USB 2.0
Almost all the question was answered in that Scott's clip - take you time, watch it a few times.
SATA disks is not necessary - all type of HDD in an enclosure with USB interface will works.

You can use as many as you want to buy and connect/disconnect them as much as you want to any 622 on your account.

Share what ? ENCRYPTED files ! Watch Scott's clip - the person told you could copy the files to your PC but will not able to play them.
Now tell me difference if the files will be on NAS ?

So, what is your defending ? Establishing more hurldes then Dish could ?

I have a feeling someone will crack it, but until next gen dvd recorders and media become affordable, or a media extender comes along that can play those ripped mpeg files, it won't matter. Why not just leave the files in the native Dish format and play them with the 622?

In these recent cases though, beta surely saw what became 4.06 and/or 4.09 and apparently missed these issues given that Dish pushed these releases to non-beta users.

Beta can't catch everything and the ability of a beta community to catch errors is usually increased the larger the size of that community.

One of the problems is that a change can cause a latent defect to surface. This is something that few who haven't done any programming can get.

There might be a situation where a certain segment of code has never been hit in the field with the right triggering conditions until another change triggers it. The bug was there all along, but it took the right circumstances to actually find it which only the new code has done.

When you're working on a software engineering type of system you have forecasts and prediction on defects. The earlier you catch them; the cheaper it is. When it gets to the field and you have to revert it's very bad.

I'm not defending Dish having to roll back successive updates but I can certainly sympathize with it happening to them. I'm just glad none of the projects I worked on had to roll back.

CHeers,

Missing Channels

How to transfer recorded items to desktop computer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)