Family Member Signing Up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My father in law wants to change from DISH to Directv at the small shack he as at the local lake near town.

He does not have a credit card or a debit card (the bank charges close to $10 a month for that privilege) and pays everything by cash or check. On the phone the CSR told him he wouldn't be able to sign up without either one.

Is there any way around this?

I thought you could sign up with a cash payment, something like $300.

I thought you could sign up with a cash payment, something like $300.

as of feb 7th an LSP dealer cant even collect a cash deposit up front (for high risk customers with poor or no credit) - a credit card number or checking information must be put into the dealer website to create the account in that situation. also, credit card autopay, paperless billing, and email notifications are now required in order to get a discount on the AR fees. or, move to MA or PA where you aren't required to give a credit card number to establish an account.

My wife ended up putting it in her name. Her dad has never balked on any of his bills; hardly has any bills each month (house and car are both paid for) so I'm not worried. He's getting the Entertainment package and 2 regular SD receivers (both of the TVs in his lake house are older CRTs. He's old fashioned and will not need DVR or HD service.

I thought about the prepaid card but this makes it easier. For some reason Directv was going to charge him $99 for a deposit.

seriously? I thought debit cards were free

Depends on the bank. Both banks in town are regional to the area. He's been with the same bank for over 20 years. That fee is exactly why we didn't go with that bank. We went with the other one in town and they do not charge a fee for a debit card.

I bank at a small local bank and debit cards are free, but it does depend on the bank. Many do charge a fee, but will wave it if the customer has a direct deposit every month. Best thing is to shop around.

PNC bank actually encourages you to use your debit card at least 5 times each month to get the high interest rate. (No fees) And by a high rate, I mean a whopping 0.25%.;)

I find myself using only debit now. I don't carry any cash with me other then a few dollars here and there.

My dad's bank PAYS him 10 cents for every check card purchase swiped as a "credit." Of course 53 times per month means only $5.30 but heck, that's something!! And it's only a regional bank.

My bank has a reward program that you have to make 12 Debit transactions, either have direct deposit or automatic withdrawal, and E-statements to get month interest.

Some banks only see customers as $.

What do customers in PA do? It use to say in the small print, credit card required except in PA.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

so back to the topic at hand ;)
Neutron when is the install? Also which market locals is he in? If its a MPEG4 only market he will get HD receivers but wont have to pay the HD fee (he will only get his locals in HD)

The install is tomorrow afternoon. He's in the same market for locals as me; Tyler-Longview, TX.

oh ok. Since Tyler SD locals are on 119 they'll install a Phase III dish. Its smaller than a HD dish but bigger than the 18" dish (18x20 are the dimensions)
Picture6%20013.jpg

That works perfect for him. Hopefully this will mount on the same pole as the current DISH dish that will be coming off.

yes it will be the same

When I first got Directv 3 years ago I reused my Dish 500 mast and put up a Phase III dish myself. Only the HD dish requires the larger mast

My brother in law was out there for the install and I'm not sure if the installer ignored the notes on the install ticket or my brother in law ignored what was supposed to be installed (he never listens to anyone) so the installer only installed one SD receiver and ran the cable from that receiver to the second TV which as you guys know will only mirror the same channel on both TVs.

My wife had to call Directv on Monday to get a work order to have the installer go back out and install a 2nd SD box like it was originally requested. They are supposed to be back out on Saturday to get that done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Buffalo Sabres games in Erie

Channel changes network

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)