FAQ needed for Dish

videobruce

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
I went to the VOOM fourn and looked through the FAQ threads and found it strange that the same thing wasn't available here.
I really hate to ask this, but since I'm a newbie when it comes to digital satellite equipment ( i have had experiance with C band analog 15-20 years ago and have installed basic single D*TV dishes) where do I start to narrow my choices and options since there are this many??

I was looking at VOOM, but with all the problems that has dropped from favor. I have seen D*TV many times and never liked what I saw (SD) because of the amount of compression used (looks as I was watching a Smearitron (Trinitron) from the 70's).

HD is what I'm primarly interested in. NO music or sports and as little 'fluff' as possible (IF that is possible).

I see that VOOM won't let you, but will Dish let you do your own install?

I'm not sure what you would like for FAQ's but maybe http://ekb.dbstalk.com is what you're looking for. However, the best information is found here in the forums.

As for choices, there's basically three: E*, D*, and V*

Both D* and E* use compression. Apparently, they use different methods, because people post different types of complaints about it.

To answer your last question, yes, E* wil let you do your own install, but considering it comes free with their promo packages, why bother?

And FAQ would be nice.. but dish doesn't make anything easy, so an FAQ would be hard.

When I train our dispatchers, I give them a 10 page booklet on CURRENT equipment configurations and diagrams alone... forget obsolete configurations.

A Knowledge base would be more appropriate for Dish. But that just makes me shiver with microsoft vibes.

Yeah, the EKB has some good stuff, but we need more. I'm working on the allowable configurations database (BTW - thanks for those pics!).

Maybe, just maybe, a junior installer or three could spend time going through the forums gathering info that should be kept. It would help their skills, and provide a valuable service.

E* wil let you do your own install, but considering it comes free with their promo packages, why bother?
A; I know it is done right the way I want it done without compromise,
B; I don't have to wait for someone to show up, or tweak his installation, or clean up after him.

VOOM doesn't use compression??
Doesn't Echostar use less compression than Direct TV?

Thanks for the links, I see I have alot of reading to do after spending 2 hours printing out all that stuff....................

Can someone confirm that I can just order two HD packages (HBO & HD Net) per this FAQ WITHOUT ANY basic package? Also what is the difference between "Discovery Theater" and the DISH Network HD Package:

http://faq.dishnetwork.com/questions/106.asp

Don't know, but I believe all DBS providers us compression of varying types and levels.
E* and D* use different levels. I forget the details.

There may be an extra $5/month charge for not carrying a minimum amount of programming.

For the extra couple bucks, you get more channels like ESPNHD & TNTHD & HDNET - but you might have to have an "AT" package which includes the corresponding SD feed for some of them like ESPN & TNT. Sorry, I just don't know for sure, but at least now you know what to ask the CSR. :)

Also if you get your equipment on one of the 3 current E* promotions you will need to sub to AT60 or DL and above plus the HD Pack, for at least 1 year on the Free Dish promo, for 10 - 20 months on the Free For All promo if you want the monthly $10 credits or for ever as long as you are on the DHA lease plan. If you pay full msrp up front or after your 1 year commitment on Free Dish you can sub to just the HD Pack and or Premiums without getting an AT or DL package if you choose by paying a $5/mo access fee plus programing fees.

Other than:
1. Dish (Echostar) themselves
2. Their (Dish) list of dealers

What other chioces (other than E-Bay) does one have for Dish equipment?

Again, sorry for the probably 'stupid' question.

Will CBS ever come to Traverse City/Cadillac Locals?

A dish question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)