Fence distance

discreet29483

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Summerville, SC
I have 2 Dishes on for the 61.5 and the other for 119, 110. The 61.5 dish sits on a pole 2 ft high and the main dish on a 3 ft pole. If I put up a 6 ft fence to enclose my backyard how far from the dishes does it need to be to insure I won't be blocking my signals.

I have 2 Dishes on for the 61.5 and the other for 119, 110. The 61.5 dish sits on a pole 2 ft high and the main dish on a 3 ft pole. If I put up a 6 ft fence to enclose my backyard how far from the dishes does it need to be to insure I won't be blocking my signals.

5.4 ft.

That all depends on where you are located. The further north you are, the lower the look angle is to satellites, also the further the satellite latitude location is from your latitude, the lower the look angle is.. Look on the back of the dish and see what the elevation angles read, then from the bottom of the dish look along that angle for the bottom of the line of site to each satellite (It's higher than you think).

Easy and foolproof method.

Put a receiver and a TV outside. Put it onto the signal strength meter screen. Get a 2x3 ft piece of plywood screwed to a 2x4 with the top edge of the plywood at your fence's intended height. Move the plywood around in fron of the dish. Have an assistant spray ground marking paint to locate the fence boundary.

Make sure that you do this for every satellite location.

338' down the lines, 410' to center, 371' to the power alleys..Just kidding...I would make sure the dish elevation angle points above the top of the fence..A chain link fence can in rare instances give off a little interference but ...A solid fence is one that will interfere with signal if the elevation angle is not over the top of said fence....

DPP44 Help

110 And 119 Signal Strength