Few closed captions in HD

padgett

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I see there was a simliar thread in 2007 but no mention since.

Have just upgraded (?) to HD after almost a decade with DN and now have both a 722 and a 222 receiver. Since I am hearing impaired, CC is essential.

I am finding that very few of the HD channels have CC but most of the same channels in SD do. HBO and SHOWTIME do not nor does SciFi but many of the ENCORE channels do have CC working. The guide says the others do but do not. Most local OTA HD channels display CCs.

We can cycle (recall) between an HD Encore channel that displays captions and an HD HBO which does not (and claims it does in the guide and does display them in the SD equivalent). This is repeatable on different HD TVs and both receivers so I do not think it is the receiver (or my TV as a service desk person insisted)

The picture is wonderful but I need the captions. Any suggestions would be welcome. (have been in e-mail echanges with DN for several weeks but nothing meaningful has happened).

do you use the TV cc or the receivers CC/ I find that not much makes it through the HDMI to the TV but the receiver CC works great. Try using receiver CC if you have not already. I have not checked closely but think most HD programming has CC.

padgett, All HD CC is decoded by the sat receiver and encoded into the pix sent along on the HDMI cable. (Unless you are hooked to tv via coax or rca cables, in which case the TV does the CC decoding.)

I have 250+HD and 722/211 and most all HD channels have CC, I can't imagine that HBO does not. You do have CC enabled on the 722?

Try Menu-8-7-various.
I select:
Menu-8-7-1 to turn on/off CC.
(1) On/off: left-click-right-done cancel to test. It toggles the state
Set the others once like my choices:
(2) Font: Proportional w/o serifs and Standard (tightest legible font)
(3) Colors: Background=Provider (N/A), Foreground=Yellow, Edge=Black (strongest contrast)
(4) Edge Style: Depressed (or certain others)
(5) Captioning Service: 1 (or you may not get any)
(6) Opacity: Background=Transparent, Foreground=Solid (maximizes viewable space)

-Ken

OK this is mostly with an LG HDTV connected via HDMI cable to just installed 222 Pro receiver. Picture is very good. Closed Captions are set as in the previous posting (though too small and it is 8-6-1 on my receiver not 8-7-1).

Am getting CC with HD only on local channels, A&E, BIO, History, Green, National Geographic, VS, ESPN, ESNWS, Encore, and SEDGE.

These last two are the *only* premium HD channels that are providing captions (have "everything" at the moment).

OTOH the SD channels including the SD version of the HD channels mostly have captions working. My son said that his JVC/722 is acting the same way.

Since some do work, I can only conclude that most HD channels are not transmitting the captions.

We are in central Florida if that makes a difference.

Suggestions greatly appreaciated.

I just upgraded to an HD DVR and found that I cannot get CC from the TV menu but can get some CC form the DISH receiver. My dad just upgraded to Comcast HD DVR and he found the same thing only with Comcast, a technician has to set it one way of the other and you can't turn CC on or OFF. I called Comcast and they told me the reason CC won't work on the TV is because CC is analog and the TV is digital using an HDMI cable. Does that sound correct and if so, will CC work better after February when all broadcast will be digital?

BTW, when using HDMI input and when using Component initially), the CC option on the LG TV is greyed out and not selectable. AV (composite) and Antenna both have the CC option and is turned on.

The 222 Pro receiver has CC turned on as described previously.

BTW, when using HDMI input and when using Component initially), the CC option on the LG TV is greyed out and not selectable. AV (composite) and Antenna both have the CC option and is turned on.

The 222 Pro receiver has CC turned on as described previously.

Sounds like you are set up correctly to me. Just a couple of comments....
I have both a 211 and 722, occasionally I will run into a program listed as having CC and it does not, and vice versa???

When comparing digital vs analog, the way CC is encoded in the signal is different. Analog CC is sent as a separate part of a composite or analog rf signal and is decoded by the TV. CC sent over an HDMI connection is encoded as part of the picture signal and is decoded by the receiver (722 etc.). It's a part of the HDMI signal. Just switch the inputs of your tv to composite or OTA and the CC will not be grayed out. With HDMI, CC has to already be encoded so it is grayed out.

FWIW, I just checked and CC is coming through on Cinemax and most HD channels for me but CC on HDNet wasn't, even though the program listed it as being available. I dunno whether the problem lies with Dish or with the
program not really having it??? I think normally HDNet does have CC on it.

I read somewhere that CC does not always come through with HDMI, I have mine hooked up with component and I get CC on all HD channels except MGM and occasionally HMC. I do find that sometimes I have to go to the receiver menu and turn the CC off and then back on again to get it to come up, not sure if that is a receiver problem or what. Occasionally even have to reboot the receiver. So you might try hooking up with component and see if that makes a difference. Merry Christmas

Have now tried AV2, Component, and HDMI inputs, switching CC on and off, rebooting system, and wiggling my ears. Still only get CC on about 10 HD channels overall and on ENCORE and SEDGE of the premiums (no HBO, no CINEMAX, no other Showtime).

All have captions displaying on the SD versions of the channels. I really like the picture improvement but need the CCs to understand what is going on.

Have tried contacting DN both by phone (was told to try all six captioning services then informed it was my TV) and by e-mail (received a generic responce apologising for service desk but nothing meaningful). It seems they do not want to address the issue.

Have now tried AV2, Component, and HDMI inputs, switching CC on and off, rebooting system, and wiggling my ears. Still only get CC on about 10 HD channels overall and on ENCORE and SEDGE of the premiums (no HBO, no CINEMAX, no other Showtime).

All have captions displaying on the SD versions of the channels. I really like the picture improvement but need the CCs to understand what is going on.

Have tried contacting DN both by phone (was told to try all six captioning services then informed it was my TV) and by e-mail (received a generic responce apologising for service desk but nothing meaningful). It seems they do not want to address the issue.

Padgett, I can feel for you as I also have a hearing loss and do not watch any program if it does not have captioning, comments/thoughts:

I have a 722/211 both hooked to LG HD TV's so our setup is similar.
I'm in South Dakota so am on 129 for HD. Both TV's via HDMI

The only things critical in settings on Dish/TV is:

TV receivers: captions on - normally listed as CC1
This is required for SD programs, and needs to be on an SD
program to set it. As you know it is greyed out
when watching an HD program as it is irrevelant with HDMI

Dish receivers: (1) on/off set to "on"
(5) captioning service set to "1"
other settings change how it looks but are irrevelant to
making it work. The CR that asked you to try them all
does not understand how it works.

I just tried both my receivers and am receiving captions on all Cinemax channels, HD and SD.

If you have captions (on the tv screen) on any HD channel through the dish receivers you should have captions on all HD channels that are captioned.

A thought, are you receiving your HD from 61.5? Is there a possibility Dish does not have the captioning on all channels from that satellite.

If you are missing captions on Cinemax on both the 722 and 222 that sort of rules out the receivers in my mind.

Do you have a friend neighbor that has Dish with HD that you could go check to see if he has captions?

I know when my captions are not working I get grouchy! :)

I had HD when Dish still had VOOM, I don't really know if I liked VOOM or not as they had no captions so I never watched them.

Good Luck

I am receiving on 61.5, 110, and 119. All have similar (62-68 new style) power readings.

Is it possible that DN is providing captions on 129 but not 61.5 ? Can I receive 129 in Florida ?

At this point I am ready to give up and have dish put me back the way I was regardless of the service agreement because they are not providing a complete service.

I've never seen captioning to be channel dependent expect for channels that never show it or shows that just are not captioned. Example, MGM and silent movies are not captioned and never say they are, AFAIK.

To recover from captioning going out, I try back 30 sec and forward*3 (quickest), power off-on (both outputs) and reselect, captioning off-on (my old way on the 921), switching channel back and forth, and finally reboot at a non-record time (the most likely to work but the slowest.) It seems most likely to go out when recording or transferring a recording while playing back or viewing, especially when doing multiple transfers. Going out is individual recorder dependent.

Now if only they did better on live and some recorded shows of keeping up with the speech.
-Ken

So far I have talked to DN (was told it was my TV), e-mailed DN twice, HBO, and SCI-Fi channel with no meaningful response from anyone. Out of about fifty HD channels, captions come in on all local, but only about 8 Top-250, and 2 premium HD channels (No HBO at all). Meanwhile I get captions on just about all SD channels.

Will keep trying but I strongly suspect the captions are just not being transmitted on most 61.5. HD channels and seems like no-one cares.

So far I have talked to DN (was told it was my TV), e-mailed DN twice, HBO, and SCI-Fi channel with no meaningful response from anyone. Out of about fifty HD channels, captions come in on all local, but only about 8 Top-250, and 2 premium HD channels (No HBO at all). Meanwhile I get captions on just about all SD channels.

Will keep trying but I strongly suspect the captions are just not being transmitted on most 61.5. HD channels and seems like no-one cares.

Padgett, the following comments are basically what I would do if I was in your place, you most certainly should do whatever you are comfortable with and not necessairly what I might do. :)

Maybe someone else reading this that has HD on 61.5 could turn on CC and check to see if captioning is coming through on HBO and Showtime.
Anyone with a 1000.4 dish would also be able to tell as they get most of their
HD from 61.5

Most CSR's have little knowledge about CC, don't let them tell you it's your TV,
it could be on SD but with HD the captioning is done by the receiver so it can't be the TV. When you say "local" do you mean locals via Dish or locals over the air? The reason I ask is if your HD locals via Dish are on 61.5 and you swing your 2'nd dish over to 129 you will loose them.

I don't know if you keep track of Ceil II or not, if not it is a new satellite that was
launched the first part of Dec. and will go to 129. The current sat at 129 is old and tired and you may not get it very well. In the next couple/three weeks Ceil should cure the poor signal from 129. It's about a 5 minute job to swing the
61.5 dish over to 129 if you have line of sight.

I would keep on Dish till they get this resolved one way or the other. Hint, call their normal number then just press miscellanous keys on your phone till it says they don't understand and that they will connect you to an operator! :) :) Then always go directly for a technical operator, if the first operator does not understand the CC part ask for a supervisor..... Good Luck.

Last edited:
I am watching HBO-W HD right now (303 HD) watching the movie "300". Using the 622 receiver's CC mode. It is working fine.

The font size can be changed in the CC menu on the receiver.

THE CC FROM DISH MUST BE DECODED THOUGH THE RECEIVER.
Make sure you are on CC service 1. This is a menu setting on the receiver's CC (Menu+8+7+5 on 622 receivers)

See ya
Tony

Edit...
Testing other HD channels now. For the most part, the promos between movies do not have CC
Here is what I am finding right now scanning the channels at 61.5° and 110°:
302 HD ... Femme Fatale CC works fine
301 HD ... Heist CC works fine
300 HD ... Jumper CC works fine
305 HD -- In the Land of Women CC works fine
307 HD -- Mrs Boubtfire CC works fine
308 HD -- Fear CC works fine
309 HD -- Jumper CC Trabaja bien
310 HD -- Sex Games Cancun CC---wait a minute. ...... um..... I'll be back in a minute
---------------------------------------------------------CC Works fine (Just ooohs and aaaahs...it hillarious!
311 HD -- The Hitcher CC works fine
313 HD -- Hot Shots: Part Deux CC works fine
314 HD -- For Your Consideration CC shows up but lines get cleared and are illegible unless you are Evelyn Wood.
318 HD -- Saw III CC works fine
340 HD -- Eraaaazorh CC Works fine
350 HD -- Armagedon CC Works fine
351 HD -- Crash CC works fine
352 HD -- Next -- CC works fine
354 HD -- That Thing You Do! - No CC (also the movie is in SD window box)
356 HD -- Major Payne CC works fine.

For what it's worth, the FCC requires providers ie; Dish, Direct, TWC, Comcast, etc to provide closed captioning on the majority of programming. Those requirements and steps to follow when there is a problem are on the FCC web site at Closed Captioning

And our 622 has problems a lot. CC cutting in and out, out of sync, not being on screen long enough to read, etc. And it happens so often if I followed the FCC requirements I'd spend several dollars a day in postage :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)