Few closed captions in HD

Well I have a VIP222 that was just installed and it reports connections (over 60 strength new style on each) to 61.5, 110, and 119.

Just checked "Rails and Ties" (HBO 300), "The Big Kahuna" (HBO2E 301) and "Shrek the Third" (MAX 310 ) on AV2 (through DVD player), Component, and HDMI2 on the family room LG (next to the 222 so all inputs available) and the MBR Sony (coax only) TV2. Captions appear with the SD channel selected but not the same channel on HD .

Switch to ENCORE (340) or SEDGE (352) and the captions work in both HD and SD.

This is making no sense at all. What is different about ENCORE and SEDGE only ?

This is common to both premium and "Top 250" channels, less than 10% of the channels display closed captions in HD on my televisions but nearly all do on the SD equivalent.

Does anyone know how to reach someone from DN who doesn't just read from a script ?

BTW how does DN assign the same channel number (e.g. 300 for HBO) to both HD and SD channels ? - can only choose from "guide" with "all" or "all sub" and not direct from the numeric keypad.

Continuing to check my HD channels for CC...

Again it is the RECEIVER that is decoding the CC, NOT the TV:

105 (commercial 3:39pm) -- CC works fine
108 True Confession of Hollywood --- NO CC
109 And Never Let Her Go -- CC works fine
110 Diners, Dine-Inns & Dives - No CC (Stretch-o-vision)
112 Color Splash -- -- CC works fine (Stretch-o-vision)
118 Manhunters -- CC works fine
119 Breaking Vegas -- CC works fine
120 Seven Deadly Sins -- CC works fine
122 Commercial at 3:45pm -- CC works fine
129 Real Housewives -- CC works fine (Stretch-o-vision)
138 Selena -- CC works fine (Stretch-ovison)
139 Commercial at 3:45pm -- CC works fine (one commercial no CC, next commercial CC fine.)
US Marshals -- -- CC works fine (stretch-o-vision)
140 - Billiards -- CC works fine
142 - ESPNNews -- CC works fine
144 - World Series of Poker -- CC works fine
151 Dakar Rally Highlights -- NO CC (pillarbox)
152 Women's College B-Ball -- CC works fine
154 Top 10 Football Factories -- No CC on commercials & promos. CC delayed on live scoreboard cut-in ---delay looks like it's due to the live "translation" process
172 Cory in the House -- CC works fine (no CC on promos)
174 The Suite Life of Zack & Cody -- -- CC works fine (no CC on promos) (Pillarbox)
176 Ben 10 -- -- CC works fine
180 Secret Life/American Teenager -- CC works fine
182 Air Jaws: Sharks of South Africa -- No CC (Pillar box)
183 48 Hours: Hard Evidence -- -- CC works fine (Pillar Box) It took nearly 1 minute for CC to start. I wrote "No CC" and was ready to change the channel when the CC started up.
184 Killing for a living -- No CC (Pillar box)
186 Gangs of London -- CC works fine
187 Mrs Lambert Remembers Love -- No CC (Pillar Box)
193 Beyond Invention - No CC on program or commercials (mix)
194 Living with Ed -- CC works fine
200 CNN Newsroom -- -- CC works fine (delay due to live show "translation")
208 Paid Programming NuWave Oven -- -- CC works fine (Pillar Box) Once again I had "no CC on this and was ready to change the channel when I noticed CC started up and is now working fine.
214 Weather Center -- No CC
215 Top 10 Mexican Beach Resorts -- CC works fine (no CC on commercials and promos)
239 In the Heat of the Night -- CC works fine on commercials (3 different ones)

See previous posts for premium channel results. Same as last night.
Checked later... HD Rock Live had CC working fine
362 Christmas Around the World -- No CC
364 Risk Takers -- No CC
--checked later, one PSA had CC working fine. PSA was from Discovery, no other promos or ads had CC. Gave up after 9th commercial in a row.
366 Tristan & Isolde -- CC works fine (no CC on commercial)
369 Elvis Costello concert -- CC works fine
374 Lost Gods -- CC works fine (slight delay but still okay)
383 White Fang -- -- CC works fine (took 30 seconds or so for it to "kick in"
385 Birdman of Alcatraz -- No CC
394 Next Bite TV -- No CC (Window Box)
400 Open Access -- No CC
401 Paid Programming: Ten Minute Trainer -- CC works fine (Pillar Box) took 30 seconds for it to start
402 NBA Top 10 games of the week -- CC works fine (No CC on commercials) ("Live" programming CC delay)
403 NHL Hockey -- No CC (an outdoor Hockey game? Interesting! Det v Chi)
427 UCLA @ Oregon B-Ball-- -- CC works fine (Live "translation delay) No CC on commercials and promos
439 Women's College B-Ball -- CC works fine
441 No Programming
442 No Programming
443 UCLA @ Oregon (same as 427) -- -- CC works fine -- Pappa John's commercial with CC. LDS Commercial with CC also checked 427 and CC worked on it.
444 No Programming
445 No Programming
446 No Programming
468 BLOCKED
535 PPV -- I'm not paying to test this
536-540 Ditto
561 No Programming... do not sub to NBA League pass.
625 NHL Hockey -- No CC (same as 403)
626-639 No Programming

The rest are repeats of channels above.

I just checked my results as compared to Tony's list. 110/119/129 211k/722

I had the same results with the exception of a couple of channels. I couldn't get CC on 139 on the 211k but it did come up on the 722. I was using the 211k to compare except I thought it odd that TBS didn't have captioning so checked the 722.

Padgett, I sure don't know what your problems are but something surely isn't right.

In the past Dish has had captioning problems but the last year or so I have been generally satisfied. There is an occasional program that is listed as not captioned and once in a while the captions will not come up even if listed as being captioned.

I had a 622 and occasionally the captions would disappear and required rebooting to get them back but the 722 and 211k seem pretty stable.

Have received yet another generic reply from dish: "Dear Valued Dish Network Customer," that really does not say anything "Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time. Generally these issues are resolved via software information sent directly to the receiver. "

Probably machine generated but at least am on record now so will give them a little more time to fix the problem.

And just to confuse things, captions have begun to work with HBO/HD on the JVC/722 in my son's room but not on my LG/222 downstairs. It is sounding like a problem with the VIP222.

Last edited:
Reported to Dish first on 15 December and all I have received so far are machine generated replies to my e-mails. Looks like the problem is in the VIP 222 but they seem to be ignoring me. Still very few HD channels are giving captions.

Does anyone else have a VIP222 they can try ? If captions work particularly on any HBO channel or SciFi, please let me know your software revision (mine currently reports L-309).

I have 2 722s. One has working caption most of the time. The other works until I start an extra stream or two--recording or EHD.

Most of the time I can get captions back with backing up a little, switching channels, or powering off and back on.

A recent one would not restart captions even with a reboot or switch check. So try them in that order for the least destructive and quickest first.
-Ken

Gave up and went through the chat session. First person said there was a software upgrade but instructions were incomprehensible ("If it does say locked, you will need your TV 2 remote to turn off the blue light on the receiver. After that you will turn off TV 1 from the actual receiver itself. After the receiver is off, it will take about a minute or so then you should get a message that says attention 061. " by telepathy ? ).

Second person said there was no upgrade and I had the latest software. Said had to go to engineering (who has had the report for four weeks now).I asked if the VIP222 could not be fixed, would DN give me a different receiver that would deliver captions and the chat person did not have an answer for that.

So if anyone has a VIP222, please let me know if captions are available on HD channels like SciFi and HBO.

Gave up and went through the chat session. First person said there was a software upgrade but instructions were incomprehensible ("If it does say locked, you will need your TV 2 remote to turn off the blue light on the receiver. After that you will turn off TV 1 from the actual receiver itself. After the receiver is off, it will take about a minute or so then you should get a message that says attention 061. " by telepathy ? ).

Second person said there was no upgrade and I had the latest software. Said had to go to engineering (who has had the report for four weeks now).I asked if the VIP222 could not be fixed, would DN give me a different receiver that would deliver captions and the chat person did not have an answer for that.

So if anyone has a VIP222, please let me know if captions are available on HD channels like SciFi and HBO.
I too am lost without my captioning. Two years ago, I had regular arguments with Dish regarding lack of captioning on local HD fare and found that the ignorance of CC and how it works is amazing. That is it's amazing that the CSRs will give misinformation about the problem and solutions. I definitely understand your position. Unfortunately I have a 622 and receive my programming through the 110 & 129 satellites (San Diego), so I cannot make the tests that you need.

What I can tell you is that I have HBO (all), Showtime East & Encore East, and most other HD channels (including SciFi and USA). Most all are captioned 24/7. Notable exceptions are Smithsonian and MGM, so I don't and won't watch them.

Here's my two cents:

I've never had luck getting captioning back by toggling the captioning setting OFF then back ON. When I've lost CC, I've found that a re-boot (hold down the power button for about 15 seconds) is the only way that has worked for me. Don't use the standard email contact, use the ceo@dishnetworks.com address (I believe this is correct, but I'm sure that someone will correct me if it isn't). This is the best way to get your issue looked at.

Note too, that if you have a dual tuner set like mine, TV1 captioning is controlled by the receiver, TV2 captioning is controlled by the television set. I thought the 222 was a single tuner model and if so would have captioning controlled by the receiver.

I hope that you get this resolved quickly as I am getting agravated just hearing that someone is not getting resolution to this problem.

Padgett,

We have the same problem you have. My wife is hearing impaired and we MUST have CC. We recently upgraded to HD with Dish and have a VIP612 in the family room and a 222 in our bedroom. CC on the 222 does not work on all the HD channels. I will have to get back to you on exactly which channels are working, but I do remember that it works on the HD history channel. But, as you described, most of the HD movie channels are not working. The SD channel will have the CC, but flip over to the HD channel and its not working! The interesting thing is that we are not having this problem with the 612 in the family room. We wanted the 222 to work our bedroom tv and our son's bedroom tv, but we never anticipated this problem. If it cant be fixed we might have to go with 3 of 612 receivers since we know the 612 is working. I guess even the 622 or 722 would work too. We would have to pay the extra monthly fees for 3 receivers, but I guess it would be worth it if that would give us the Closed Caption.

Cliff.

OK here is the latest:
1) Dish sent a second VIP222 and it acted exactly the same way as the first very few HD channels with Closed Captions
2) Connected the 722 and all channels showd captions: HBO, SCiFi, TBS, HDTheater, etc..
3) Called DN and after the usual holds and scripts they said the only thing they could do was upgrade to a 722 but they insisted on a credit card and there would be an "slight extra charge". (offered a number of promotions and such but then why do they need a credit card).
4) The bottom line is that with HD the current VIP222 receiver with L309 software appears incapable of reliable display of closed captions (SD works OK) and DN is unwilling or unable to make it right for no charge.

This bothers me, not so much the $5.88/month but the idea that if the equipment does not work (and suspect there is an implied contract when the GUIDE displays (CC)), the customer is expected to pay extra.

Latest - not much but finally DN has admitted there is a problem. No resolution or even that they are working on it but a start.: "Currently the closed captioning on the HD receiver 222 is a known issue and as reported engineering is aware of this."

Sent 28 Jan 2009 06:15:24.0907 (UTC)

I will jump in (or pile on?) here as well. I often turn on the captioning, and when it often doesn't work I have to do the reboot. How convenient. What I also notice is the the captioning text stream loses characters, and it is like trying to follow the cryptic text message abreviations/lingo of the young'uns. I've posted here before that I thought DN was vulnerable to Americans with Disabilities Acts sanctions because of it. I'd complain to DN but I hate arguing with BOTs, and for now I'd like to think DN is aware and working on the problem. (I am speaking of my experience with a 622).

Guys,
I also have the same issue - no CC on most of the HD channels. I have VIP222. I also have another issue - bad quality using HDMI. I will supposedly get another receiver - VIP222K by the end of the week and see if this resolve the issue. I doubt it, but anyway.

I will jump in (or pile on?) here as well. I often turn on the captioning, and when it often doesn't work I have to do the reboot. How convenient. What I also notice is the the captioning text stream loses characters, and it is like trying to follow the cryptic text message abreviations/lingo of the young'uns. I've posted here before that I thought DN was vulnerable to Americans with Disabilities Acts sanctions because of it. I'd complain to DN but I hate arguing with BOTs, and for now I'd like to think DN is aware and working on the problem. (I am speaking of my experience with a 622).
I always have the caption turned on. At times captioning was lost so I've also had to re-boot on occasion, but not as often as I used to.

Spent more than a year arguing with the CSRs, particularly regarding CC on the LiLs, but haven't needed to go that route for some time. For the most part, I'm pleased with the current status.

Don't get much as far as the cryptics that you describe, but not so much as the early HD days. I do experience sync problems more often than I'd like.

... rab

It would be nice if MGM could have captions more than sometimes.
They showed a movie that HDNetMovies had shown with CC but they didn't pay for it?
Now if I could get the one 722 to be as reliable as the other.
Skip back * 3 and skip forward one works often--not always.
It is the least annoying way when it works.
Only problem is I may have to repeat if I look at info or get the banner with a cancel or pause.
-Ken

Now nearly two months since first complaint to DN about lack of captions and all that has happened is that they have admitted there is a problem with the VIP222. Software revision (now L309VAMD-N) was apparently last updated in October 2008. Am going to start asking for a credit on my bill for failure to provide advertised (nearly every program says "CC") service.

HELP WITH CC IN A SONY...

HELLO,

I been trying to found out why I can't get the CC menssages in my Sony HD TV through the composite video nor the HDMI cable???

The only way that it works is through the S-Video, but the video image is very bad compare that the other 2.:eek:

I saw that a lot of you have the CC working, at least in some channels, can you please confirm if the signal is going only through the HDMI cable? my satellite receiver is an SV8000 HD.

thank you.

Are you using CC on the TV or on the Dish receiver. You must turn it on on the Dish receiver to work on HDMI or Component.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)