Finally, an Android tablet worth seriously considering

Those prices are way too high. Why buy one of them when I can get a netbook for the same price or cheaper.

Agreed with diogen. Mobility. Netbooks are ok, but the appeal of the tablet is its mobility; its sci-fi features, so to speak.

Why is it too expensive, compared with the price of the wi-fi ipad? Pretty similar pricing, and it includes more.

Notice that the photo shows a widget on the home screen - something you can't do on an ipad.

I am not saying I will buy it, but I am definitely interested. :)

This will be an interesting marketing experiment for sure!

ipad wifi +3G 16Gb of ram 9.7" screen ( 44.5 sq in screen area) no camera $629

Galaxy Tab wifi + 3G with 16 Gb ram ( mix of internal and SD cad swappable) 7 " screen ( 23.5 sq in screen area ) 2 cameras Price- about $630 depending on the cost of the micro SD cards to equal the ipad's 16 GB ram.

Looks like it will be a sales contest of which screen size is favored as all else is close to equal except for the Galaxy having the cameras advantage trading off with the ipad's double screen real estate.

me stevo- I disagree with your $200 less price since ipad has already proven the ability to attract sales at about the same price as the Galaxy for very similar features. However, I agree with you that needing 3G internal to these devices is not necessary. I'm getting along fine with my tethering to my cell phone plan. Only inconvenience is taking a minute to launch the wifi router app on the cell phone and my ipad auto connects. worth the savings to me!

Galaxy Tab is very exciting because it really is a very close competitor to the ipad in price and offering with some basic differences that will be the selling points to persuade a buyer.

If I were planning to do a lot of skype video calls, I'd choose the Galaxy Tab over the ipad. I don't buy the ereader size as an advantage. I have small and that is my phone PDA with a 3.5" screen. If I had that phone with video skype camera set, IT would be the Galaxy killer for me. But what my ipad with 9.6" screen really replaces is the heavy thick Dell notebook. Therefore I use it more like a laptop as opposed to something I need to hold up in the air with one hand.

Another thought- If 7" galaxy formfactor becomes popular, I think we'll see an increase in the cargo pants fashion. :)

Since Google is not encouraging Froyo for tablets, a couple issues -- 1) will apps run well on the larger screen? Will apps take advantage of the space; 2) Will it be easily upgradable to Gingerbread?

Google doesn't control Android but it does the Market and its own (free) apps.
Access to those and upgrade notifications are the "encouragement" tools.

And the questions you mention is the very reason they do that...:) They can't guarantee either.
But with more app markets in the works it might not be a show stopper anymore.

I believe Chrome OS will be peddled by Google as the tablet OS.
But later Android versions might have its say in this...

Gingerbread tablets are reportedly coming in December
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/android-3-0-due-to-start-hitting-tablets-in-december-ahead-of-ja/

Diogen.

The reports of an Android 3.0-based tablet in Dec/Jan would likely even further diminish the willingness to jump on board with a Galaxy Tab in November, unless there were reassurances (which is kind of a joke) that it would get Gingerbread once it is out.

Ultimately the whole thing is frustrating. The geek in me so badly wants a tablet, but my brain says wait, let this play out, see where it is going.... of course, there is always something new coming, so at some point you have to jump in. :) (Same deal with anticipation about the next generation of faster / more powerful smartphones). :D

mike, i got an ipad a couple of weeks ago and i got to admit its sweet. there are a few things i don't like. but for the most part, it rocks.

Mike- Here's how to get your brain up to speed with your passion-

Take a logical step back and recognize that with ipad something new will be out in a year, that indicates something new in January-April with announcement in January. So soon you will know what Apple will have to offer. If you go that route, it must satisfy you for the next year.
With Android, you will have something new flying by you every couple weeks. Lots of choices and you'll always be saying maybe I'll wait for what's coming next. Then when you say, OK that's the one, you will realize that it won't be available for a month or so. Then by the time it does come out, you will have been exposed to 3-4 new ones you'll want to wait for. Sometime you have to just go for it and forget what new is out.
You deal with this frustration by deciding what you NEED the tablet to do. If what's announced doesn't satisfy, you wait. If it does the decision is made and you forget about the stuff you didn't need in the first place.

If I had your toys, (Motorola Droid, laptop, netbook, ipod touch, Kindle) I probably wouldn't be getting anything because the impact of a tablet wouldn't be adding anything to my life except one more way to do the same thing.

Since Google is not encouraging Froyo for tablets, a couple issues -- 1) will apps run well on the larger screen? Will apps take advantage of the space; 2) Will it be easily upgradable to Gingerbread?

Not sure about how Android works with its variety of screen sizes but with Apple iOS, the app must be designed for the screen. There are only two sizes. ipod and ipad size. All ipod apps work on the ipad but they will be small ipod size centered on the larger screen. ipad system offers a little icon labeled " 2X" you touch and it expands the display of the ipod app to double size which is a happy compromise on the ipad in most cases. With your ipod apps or ipad apps, you'll be able to copy them to all your iOS devices on your account. Not sure of the limit but I was told it was up to 5 per account. So if you have two ipods, two iphones, and an ipad on one account you only need to buy the app once, itune music or movie once, ebook once. It is all backed up and restored ( synced) via an itunes application on your PC or Mac. You probably knew this so apologies if I an being repetitive here.

Not sure about how Android works with its variety of screen sizes but with Apple iOS, the app must be designed for the screen. There are only two sizes. ipod and ipad size. All ipod apps work on the ipad but they will be small ipod size centered on the larger screen. ipad system offers a little icon labeled " 2X" you touch and it expands the display of the ipod app to double size which is a happy compromise on the ipad in most cases. With your ipod apps or ipad apps, you'll be able to copy them to all your iOS devices on your account. Not sure of the limit but I was told it was up to 5 per account. So if you have two ipods, two iphones, and an ipad on one account you only need to buy the app once, itune music or movie once, ebook once. It is all backed up and restored ( synced) via an itunes application on your PC or Mac. You probably knew this so apologies if I an being repetitive here.

I knew about the ipod v ipad app size, did not know about the 2X zoom, but it makes sense. I am well aware of the itunes same account sync ability. It is a nice feature.

I raised the issue just because I figured the odds are good that since the Galaxy Tab won't have the fandom-surge in initial purchases that the ipad had that the tablet development could be slower; particularly since the Galaxy Tab is being released on Froyo and NOT on the OS Google is pushing for tablets.

...since the Galaxy Tab is being released on Froyo and NOT on the OS Google is pushing for tablets.
I think we haven't heard Google's last word on that...
At this point they just won't license its apps and Market access to "pure" tablets, i.e. the ones without 3G.
And this is the reason the Galaxy Tab doesn't have a 3G-less version to compete with the lowest priced iPad.

The Chrome OS should be out this year, i.e. within next 60 days. And so should be Gingerbread.
That is when we will hear Google's stance on the matter, I believe...

Diogen.

Must admit- I have no idea what the pros-cons and why the many different flavors, versions of Froyo gingerbred and others offer. That plus the different tablet hardware rumors must be driving you nuts to decide. maybe I'm getting too old for this game but I'm beginning to think we have too many choices to make a good decision. By the time I would figure it all out, it changes. :( Balancing technicals against fundamentals and predicting the human emotional factor to make money in all this is where I will remain focused. That is hard enough compared to rocket science!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts