Finally, an Android tablet worth seriously considering

btw, i will not being doing a review of the galaxy as i have postponed my decision to buy one. i didn't want to add another contract as i am really trying to cust costs in 2011. in fact, i'm seriously thinking of ditching satellite and going back to cable. no cola increase for the second year will make you do that.

Verizon was offering the Galaxy Tab for $599 with a two year contract, $599 with a one year contract, and $599 for month to month contract.

I went with the no contract option, obviously.

EDIT: Just got my tracking number and it will be here Monday afternoon. Unfortunately, I'll be at the local university with one of my dogs so that he can get a CT scan.

Last edited:
When I was at my local Staples last week, one of the sales associates was talking up this new HP All-in-One multi-function inkjet that comes with a 7" Android-based tablet as it's control panel, all for $399. The OS is locked down, but he figured that it could be rooted like any other Android-based device. No cellular radio, though, just Wi-Fi.

Went to the Verizon Store Friday night to take a look at the Galaxy Tab. When I first saw the iPad and played with it I couldn’t believe how underwhelmed and unimpressed I was. I had that same feeling the other night with the Galaxy Tab. But not to the same degree, as with Apple everything is hyped up as the best thing since sliced bread and as well all know, it just turns out to be some mediocre device. It’s just a giant phone without the cellular voice capabilities. The Galaxy Tab is way too small at 7” and it’s really an ugly device. I know looks aren’t everything, and physical appearance is just about the only thing Apple does right besides marketing, but at least the iPad looks sleek, even if that’s the only thing it’s got going for it. I tried to stream video on the Tab over 3G (The HQ Trailer for the movie Up, which is my benchmark video) to see the quality after a few minutes of buffering it played all choppy so I couldn’t get an accurate sense of video quality the devices puts out, just a sense of how bad the Verizon data network in my area is.

Went to the Verizon Store Friday night to take a look at the Galaxy Tab. When I first saw the iPad and played with it I couldn’t believe how underwhelmed and unimpressed I was. I had that same feeling the other night with the Galaxy Tab. But not to the same degree, as with Apple everything is hyped up as the best thing since sliced bread and as well all know, it just turns out to be some mediocre device. It’s just a giant phone without the cellular voice capabilities. The Galaxy Tab is way too small at 7” and it’s really an ugly device. I know looks aren’t everything, and physical appearance is just about the only thing Apple does right besides marketing, but at least the iPad looks sleek, even if that’s the only thing it’s got going for it. I tried to stream video on the Tab over 3G (The HQ Trailer for the movie Up, which is my benchmark video) to see the quality after a few minutes of buffering it played all choppy so I couldn’t get an accurate sense of video quality the devices puts out, just a sense of how bad the Verizon data network in my area is.

Disagree with your assessment of the tab entirely. I thought 7" is the darn near perfect size. But I also use a similar-form-factor Kindle. It is light, it can be held in one hand. As far as the video, I would want to test on wi-fi and not 3G; it would fare no better on 3G than any phone would. Some will get the 3G for convenience, but if I get one, it will be wi-fi only.

The tab is just too small, it’s only 2.7” larger than my phone. Jack it up a few inches and then we’ll be talking. I test on 3G since wifi is damn near useless to me if I want to use it outside of my house. Sprint 3G has no problem producing stunning high quality video on YouTube on my Evo and puts the iPhone to shame. I see no difference when streaming on Sprint 3G or when connected to my home wireless network which is backed by my 15Mb Road Runner connection.

The Galaxy Tab is a complete yawner to me, just like the iPad. I was hoping for more. It really sucks when you want something, have the money for it and ready to buy, but nothing on the market is good enough.

TO each their own, but to me that 3" makes a helluva lot of difference. Plenty of screen real estate, yet a device that can be hand-held. The ipad is too big, and too heavy. Again, I am a kindle user and love the 6 -7 inch form factor.

But given how 3G speeds can vary dramatically from location to location, I'd not put a lot of weight in any one 3G video test, particularly when you are comparing it with something on a different network.

While I would like a tablet, I will not spend another $30 per month for a second data plan for it. I'll use it mostly in places where I have wi-fi access, and when I don't, I'll wirelessly tether to it from my phone.

I've never really paid attention to how heavy the iPad is. I'm not really one to care about weight, as you can see by the 8 lb laptop I'm looking at getting from another thread. I spend my entire day lifting, carrying and walking with 50-80 lbs of stuff at a time for work, an 8 lb. laptop or whatever the weight of the iPad is has very little meaning to me as it's all light as a feather in comparison. I do quite a bit of web surfing, video streaming and other stuff with my Evo. The 4.3” screen is perfect for being on the go. 7” is too small for me for serious functionality but too big (in terms of dimensions not actual weight) for mobility.

I see Sprint is now offering the Galaxy Tab. I’ll have to check that out this weekend. Like I said above, my benchmark for video quality on mobile devices is the high quality trailer of Disney’s Up. I couldn’t make a judgment on the Tabs video quality due to how terrible the video streaming was. 3G is the only way to go for me, if/when I get a tablet I’ll gladly plop down whatever Sprint wants. Relaying on WIFI blows, I have 2 WIFI enabled HP iPaq PDAs I wasted over $1100 on combined in hopes to have mobile internet access at all times, turns out free WIFI is pretty much nonexistent and unreliable, I’ll be more than happy to pony up whatever Sprint wants.

I've had mine since Monday, and I'll post a review when I get time later this week. I haven't had much time to do much with it yet because of my dog, but I am impressed with it. Even the two guys in my office that have iPads are impressed with it.

I think delaying the Wi-Fi only version was a monumental blunder.
I believe this was an attempt to minimize risks associated with not being able to access the Android Market.
Or being put into one pile with other no-name tablet makers that don't have such access.

After the Tab got its name established, they can try. Maybe even have its own app market.
And even then I think it will be on a small scale...

Price you pay for being first. Rules will change with Gingerbread, I think.

Diogen.

I spent some time today playing with the Galaxy. If I didn't already have an ipad, I could live with this. The screen response was what I would call snappy. scrolling was not as smooth as the ipad. The cameras worked well and were of excellent quality. The map GPS worked well also. web pages with lots of content loaded quickly and displayed easier to read in the horizontal position.

The size of the Galaxy for actual use was such that it is much easier than the PDA phone, but not as easy as the ipad screen size, HOWEVER, if you typically wear a sport coat the Galaxy would carry easily on your inside pocket while the ipad is something you would still need to tote around. I liked that. I couldn't check out skype on it because that required an account but I'd bet it probably is slick as the rest of the Galaxy.

I thought the smaller keypad would be a problem but it wasn't I was able to type on it with two thumbs like a phone in vertical and in horizontal with one hand / one finger. The problem of horizontal, while a larger keyboard, it was not large enough to use two handed typing. The ipad is just big enough that if you have small hands you can type like a regular keyboard.

Sound quality was not good but if quality is required, wear earbuds or headphones!

The enthusiastic salesman asked for my impressions. I said the typical consumer line, I'm sure he is used to hearing. Too expensive! His answer surprised me. He said come back Friday and see what surprise we may have for you in that department. BTW- I was at the Verizon stand at BJ's. I asked him what people see in this vs. the ipad. He said the most impressive feature on the Galaxy is the video conferencing with the two cameras. I said, yes, a lot of people will find that important. He said many are buying two for that conferencing feature. Guess the economy ain't so bad after all. :)

The only technical trouble I ran into was with Google maps using the pinch and two finger zoom. IT froze the screen and updated ( clarified) about half the screen then locked up. I exited out of the app after waiting about 2 minutes with nothing happening then turned the Galaxy back on and tried it again. This time it went through squeeze and zoom over and over with no trouble. Also, like the ipad, not all apps and screens work with zoom and squeeze.

The screen on some apps works more like it switches to other views, while some move in tiny digital like steps. I saw the same stepping screen updating with the droid.

Having seen the Galaxy and played with it for about an hour, I agree with the title of the thread. This is a serious competitor to the ipad, even at the current price. I hope it gives Apple a real show of strength so Apple will, maybe, relax it's anti Flash problems and add the double cameras for ipad2.

Good review Don.

For me the other factor is weight, and the ability to hold it in your hands for an extended period of time. I do hope it is successful and pushes the envelope.

Mike- Have you held one yet? It seems to feel solid and as heavy as the ipad with ipad case (dead weight). Maybe an ounce or two lighter. The difference is the leverage a larger area pushes on your support fingers with the ipad, but as I explained before the ipad works more like a laptop ( in it's case) than a kindle. I rarely hold ipad while using it, rather prop it up on my lap or on a table using the case cover. Consequently, weight is not an issue. I would think, if you would be carrying it around, as I said, in a sport coat pocket, the weight of the Galaxy will feel like you are carrying a Walther PPK/S in your pocket. Noticeable pocket weight but not unbearable.

Consider the overall deciding factors- It would be the choice between a larger screen size (works like a laptop ) vs. ability to carry around easily in a sport coat pocket.

If you need video conferencing- Galaxy, no choice here.

If you want a good news reader experience, portable TV, laptop like usage, ipad is the choice.

I think all else would be equal.

Last edited:
Mike- Have you held one yet? It seems to feel solid and as heavy as the ipad with ipad case (dead weight). Maybe an ounce or two lighter. The difference is the leverage a larger area pushes on your support fingers with the ipad, but as I explained before the ipad works more like a laptop ( in it's case) than a kindle. I rarely hold ipad while using it, rather prop it up on my lap or on a table using the case cover. Consequently, weight is not an issue. I would think, if you would be carrying it around, as I said, in a sport coat pocket, the weight of the Galaxy will feel like you are carrying a Walther PPK/S in your pocket. Noticeable pocket weight but not unbearable.

Consider the overall deciding factors- It would be the choice between a larger screen size (works like a laptop ) vs. ability to carry around easily in a sport coat pocket.

If you need video conferencing- Galaxy, no choice here.

If you want a good news reader experience, portable TV, laptop like usage, ipad is the choice.

I think all else would be equal.

Of course I have held it. Several times. And you are wrong. It is HALF the weight of the ipad. 13 oz. vs. 1.6 pounds (25.6 oz). No cases involved. It is only 5 ounces heavier than the Kindle 3 (8.3 oz). And based on that weight, the tab is something you could use in your hands, and not need to have it propped up like an ipad. For me, that is very important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts