SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
SpeedGuide.net News :: Firefox rated most vulnerable web browser

Firefox rated most vulnerable web browser
2009.04.15 15:01 by Sava700

Secunia is reporting that Firefox is the most vulnerable web browser
that is widely adopted on the market today.

"This year, Secunia published advisories for the four most widely used web browsers: Internet Explorer
(IE), Safari, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox. 31 vulnerabilities were reported for Internet Explorer (IE 5.x, 6.x, and 7), including those publicly disclosed prior to vendor patch as well as those included in Microsoft Security Bulletins. Safari and Opera each had 32 and 30 vulnerabilities, whereas 115 vulnerabilities were registered for Firefox in 2008."

Read here on PDF:
http://secunia.com/gfx/Secunia2008Report.pdf

This is totally unscientific but I have experienced many more attacks of adware and spyware since using FireFox on this machine, than I do with IE8 on my other machine. In addition to protect myself, I have had to beef up my spyware protection from 3rd party Software just to compensate for the increased number of attacks. Now having said that I still use Firefox just because it offers so much value in the plugins. With the good, comes the bad. Again, unscientific, but no amount of research data will change what I have had to do in order to enjoy the benefits of Firefox and keep my data safe.

I dont want to cause a browser war thread but I am very pleased with Opera and will never go back to IE. I use FF on occasions but mainly opera(much faster than FF as well).

I dont want to cause a browser war thread but I am very pleased with Opera and will never go back to IE. I use FF on occasions but mainly opera(much faster than FF as well).

I am going to try this browser right now. thanks

I tried Opera for a week now. I like it better then FF. But others may not feel the same. FF does in deed offer more plugins, but I too a lot of adware and spyware on FF. Have not used IE8 much but will use it as backup to Opera rather than than FF. Just my opinion.

The one thing I couldn't stand with Opera is the inability to turn off the "MaxRich" function, where when you start typing an address it tries to guess it for you based upon your browsing history.

The only thing it brings up for me is an website i have in my favorites folder. other than that it doesnt pull up history just what sites that are in my favs. You can easily set it to not retain history and what not just like ff and ie. Just installed IE 8 we'll see sigh....

after reading page 12 it's the other way around compared to what the OP posted. No?
That's the way it looks to me.

I use Firefox with the ad block plus add-on. The ad block plus avoids some of the nasty stuff.

I had a bad experience with opera a number of years ago. Not sure if it was an opera glitch or a virus but I'm avoiding it either way.

I use Firefox with the ad block plus add-on. The ad block plus avoids some of the nasty stuff.

I had a bad experience with opera a number of years ago. Not sure if it was an opera glitch or a virus but I'm avoiding it either way.

i also use the WOT add on. makes browsing even safer

Except after reviewing it, and their conclusions, the quality of their services is in doubt.

um i just use the nifty hosts file trick for ads/spyware/virus retaining sites. Google Hosts File(first result) Best thing ever made for the internet. Im totally protected with no programs running or clogging my cpu. theres nothing like 127.0.0.1 lol

A good arguement for SSD

CCTV-survailance cameras

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)