First Hopper and Joey Photos posted by engadget

ashutto20 said:
My ?'s are this...

922 or hopper/joey

I was going to get a 922 when they became available for the slingbox...will the hopper have the capability for slingbox

I only have 1 hd tv in my house...should that sway my decsion on the hopper

Just wanted to hear expert opinions

Thanks in advance

The Hopper will not have built in sling capability. You have to add the sling adapter. After Feb 2 it is reportedly going to be available for about $30.

From the reviews posted here over the last few days, I would go for the Hopper. Even with just one TV you will then have 3 tuners and a lot of other cool interfaces. Looks like it should be out this quarter and worth the wait.

This really looks like a super set up. However after the 922 debacle I would be sceptical about how well it works and if it will be fully functional out of the box.
Another thought has to do with economics. What will this cost the end user in monthly fees? Will it beavailable as an upgrade at a reasonable cost to current subs?
IMHO it is not a set up for thecasual tv watcher that time shifts, but for those that must have HD on every tv on the hoise andaccessto all recorded content on every tv. In otherwords as cool as this is it certainly ismt for everyone.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

There are NO reports on what the costs are going to be for new customers or what the plans are for existing customers. Obviously people are not seeing the same question being answered over and over again. I know it can be tough to find the exact answer in all the threads here but it has been asked multiple times in multiple different threads. I'm thinking the earliest they annouce any news about prices would be next Wednesday but I doubt they do.

When there is a confirmed report on what the price will be and the exact release date everyone will find out right away. I'm sure Scott will have a thread dedicated just for it. I have a feeling that Scott already has a pretty good idea about the details but he is not at liberty to share them with us.

I have no idea what the pricing will be they told me they have pricing in mind and that it would be highly competitive, they want everyone too be on hopper.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

i may get the hopper when it comes out after hearing more about it but i dont want to be on the hopper ill pass :D lol :)

If they go the directv route and charge 399 they wont get many ppl hopping, even if they do give you 300 back.

As a technician for 2+ years I just installed my own system a couple weeks ago. 722k, dual mode, sling adapter, 1 tv. I for one would love a Hopper and 1 Joey in my house so I could experiment with the product. I would love to learn more by using it as I'm sure customers will have TONS of questions once they get word of it. Unfortunately I work for an RSP, not Dish directly, and will not be eligible, more than likely for any sort of discount. I wish they provided something like that for technicians so they could become more educated on the products they install daily. I have folks ask me every day if we have something wireless, or something for TV2 to be HD.

The most unfortunate thing about this product that is sounds like you kind of have a single tuner dedicated to each room. And if 3 tuners are recording you're stuck watching what you're recording, lest you explore on demand, just like our current dual receivers.

All in all, seems cool. It's a corner of the market that NEEDS to have Dish as an option with Uverse and Direct having similar. What I'm not looking forward to most.... the work order. Oh, the humanity.

....... In other words as cool as this is it certainly isn't for everyone....

OH? Haven't you heard the rumor of the forced upgrade program, with mandatory receiver replacements, starting with the ViP922? :dev

If they stick with the same upgrade structure, the Hopper will be free but customer must pay the technician visit fee of $95 of $15. I would be blown away if they did it this way but I'm expecting a $99 upgrade fee along with the tech fee. I would actually be ok with paying the $99 upgrade fee if they did it.

I might be tempted to enroll in the $6 (or what ever it is now) protection plan for a month or two. This way the tech visit "should" be cheaper.

Just finished watching the video from Scott. So the Joey just runs off of one of the tuners on the Hopper? That sucks. The Joey's need to have a tuner in them so you could use it as a stand a lone receiver too. Have to wait and see the pricing and get more info on the Joey's.

I also like Direct TV's new 5 tuner HMC dvr.
Later,
John

Just finished watching the video from Scott. So the Joey just runs off of one of the tuners on the Hopper? That sucks. The Joey's need to have a tuner in them so you could use it as a stand a lone receiver too. Have to wait and see the pricing and get more info on the Joey's.
If you want a stand alone receiver then keep what you have not, have a stand alone receiver defeats the purpose of a whole home DVR. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts