FIRST LOOK: 622 Review!

ChetK said:
Does the 622 allow for time buffer. For instance, can I start recordings 5 minutes early and end recordings 5 minutes late?
YES, and you can change the defaults!

This was one of my biggest gripes with the 721!

LER

Yes. By default the 622 sets up programs to start 1 minute early and end 2 minutes late, but it is user definable.

twd3lr said:
Yes. By default the 622 sets up programs to start 1 minute early and end 2 minutes late, but it is user definable.

That is good to hear - what a pain changing the start/stop to 0/0 each time a recording was set up.

I finally decided to go ahead and order a 622. I went through the tech support section and found a tech that knew what he was talking about. The receiver should arrive sometime next week and the install has been set up for the end of March. I was told to call back once I get the receiver to see if an earlier install date was available - so far everyting seems to be going according to plan.

My original plan was to wait until the April Fools rebate was available, but it looks like the 921 value is holding at over $200 on EBay, so I decided to beat the April 1st rush and sell the 921 myself.

I'm going to call back today and make sure the order is in their system and hopefully get a tracking number. Can't wait to share my install experience:)

ChetK said:
What happens if there is overlapping and not enough tuners available?

Sorry. I've never owned a PVR before.

It will only pad the timers if a free tuner is available. Otherwise it will switch over at the exact time of the timer. On the 622, you get a 1 minute countdown timer telling you when the tuner is going to change channels to fire....

BobMurdoch said:
It will only pad the timers if a free tuner is available. Otherwise it will switch over at the exact time of the timer. On the 622, you get a 1 minute countdown timer telling you when the tuner is going to change channels to fire....
That's sweet! Thanks for the info.

If 2 timers completely conflict and it cannot record one of them, it records the timer made first (unless you manually change the timer's priority).

So, for example if you record OTA LOST and let say CSI and ABC suddenly moves LOST to conflict with CSI it will record the timer that was made first. You can see this in the guide in advance, it marks the shows it will skip. But, of course who looks through the guide every day to see if conflicts have arisen.

But, as mentioned above it automatically cuts any padding first if a conflict.

So, if you are watching your show and you see that next week it moves to a new slot, you might check to see if some new conflict might come up.

mike123abc said:
So, for example if you record OTA LOST and let say CSI and ABC suddenly moves LOST to conflict with CSI it will record the timer that was made first. You can see this in the guide in advance, it marks the shows it will skip. But, of course who looks through the guide every day to see if conflicts have arisen.

Yeah, that would be a pain. I Look at the "Daily Schedule" (menu, 7) to see what's going to be skipped. "Show Skipped" has to be selected for this to be of any use. The Daily Schedule tells you why something has been skipped (priority, duplicate event, user skipped, etc.) This has been a very useful feature for me.

You can also manually "skip" timers that they determined were a higher "priority" to you. (ie. Iron Chef America got bumped so The Sopranos and Desperate Housewives could be recorded in HD and the Iron Chef America show will record off the later timer that fires about 1 am or so)

Photos of the inside of 622

I didn't see if there was a second sata connector, i wonder if there is, it'd be nice to think of future expansion and not having to use usb port, i'd much rather use an eSATA enclosure than a USB2.0 enclosure.

Earlier this year another web site did a "review" of the 622, and we joked that their review looked more like a manual then a review.

SatelliteGuys.US has recently learned that their review was edited by and approved by Dish Network before being posted to their site.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

How can anyone write an honest review and have it edited and approved by the company which makes the device? In my opinion this just means their review was company propaganda.

Here at SatelliteGuys all of our reviews are our own thoughts and opinions and we are not worried about telling it as it is, or "Calling it as we see it"

We have no allegiance to any company or sponsor. When we do a review we do it so you can make a better informed decision when you are looking to buy new products and decisions. When you spend you hard earned money we want you to know exactly what your getting before you get it.

That's the way we do things here at SatelliteGuys, you will see no company edited and approved "reviews" here. That's our promise to you.

Hey Scott,

All due respect man, are we at an elementary school playground here? I think it's great that you write your own reviews and all, but I'm to the point where I wish the bashing of the other sites would stop. Who cares what they do? I'm not visiting their site, I'm visiting yours.

So, although it's spectacular that I can make my purchasing decisions by learning new things from your site, you have a great site here and there is no need to bash other sites. Let yours stand on it's own feet. Have you ever heard the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say..."? It's almost like the bully who dogs other kids to make himself feel better about himself. You don't need to do it and the success of your site surely shows that.

Just my 2 cents.

We (Satelliteguys / thanks to you) are the best!

Who cares about all the other Groups and their issues?

Whew...just read through 36 pages to finally get here to post. I switched from D* to Dish today. Too many questions to ask, but am looking forward to using this next week. :hungry:

bobrap said:
Whew...just read through 36 pages to finally get here to post. I switched from D* to Dish today. Too many questions to ask, but am looking forward to using this next week. :hungry:
Maybe you should go to the "other" site and read the "Review" while you await your install.

The "tension" you're sensing goes way back to before the birth of this site. For the most part, it is not reflective of the majority of this site.

Scott got some "ribbing" from the other site after getting his review out first. Scott's review is more of an opinion and it basically compares the 622 to the 941 & 942. This makes it more useful for those of us who already owned a 941/942 so that we could decide if upgrading was worth it (not to mention the need for MPEG 4). There were some comments from the other site that Scott's review was released too quickly (before he could have effectively tested the box).

However, the other site's "review" reads much more like a manual and has very little editorial. It has its usefullness and I'll leave it at that. Nontheless, Scott (and other members of this board) returned the "ribbing". I wouldn't be surprised if I was one of the guilty parties.

Again, this "friendly" banter is usually held to a minimum here, as I hope you can tell. You won't find much censorship here, though. That, alone, is refreshing.

I hope that I gave an accurate but unbiased account for this new member. My intention was not to flame or offend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts