FIRST LOOK: 622 Review!

TV inputs

My TV only has two HD inputs. (YPrPb) and 15-pin RGB (SVGA). I currenlty have the (YPrPb) for my DVD player and 15-pin RGB (SVGA) for my 6000. What is the best way to go on the new 622 along with my DVD player? Is there anything out there that will convert to RGB (SVGA)?

Thanks

voyagerbob said:
Thanks again for the updates, keep them coming. I wanted to see if you have tested three HD recordings at the same time (two Sat one OTA) while watching a pre-recorded HD event and how that works out.

Thanks

Ok I just tested it and it works without a problem!

I set it up to record WTNH-DT via OTA
Dish Network HD Demo Channel and
Universal HD Olympics
(Screen shot below)

I then started playing Dora the Explorer with no issues.

I then stopped one of the recordings and restared it as a seperate recording and played back the one I just stopped for 4 HD streams going at once with no issues!

Attachments

• 3hd.jpg
    3hd.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 339
Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok I just tested it and it works without a problem!

I set it up to record WTNH-DT via OTA
Dish Network HD Demo Channel and
Universal HD Olympics
(Screen shot below)

I then started playing Dora the Explorer with no issues.

I then stopped one of the recordings and restared it as a seperate recording and played back the one I just stopped for 4 HD streams going at once with no issues!

Perfect. Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks for checking. I know I'll be using this quite often.

drock85 said:
Does the OTA channels show up in the guide at all? I wanted to drop my locals and just use OTA. I understand that you have to get their locals to get any information for the ota channel, but I thought that it showed up in the guide as "no digital information" or something.

Great review Scott :up

Ok Below are some screen shots of local OTA channels in the guide.

You will note in the first one you see 059-00 and 061-00 that is not over the air, that is the local channels remapped off of the satellites.

The ones in yellow are the digital off air locals. You notice they DO have guide data because these channels are also carried by Dish Network.

No notice the second photo, these are digital off air channels I get but notice there is no guide data for WWLP, this channel is from Springfield Mass and Dish does not carry this market so no guide data available (also not no guide info for sub channels)

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• guide1.jpg
    guide1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 394
  • guide2.jpg
    guide2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Oh ok. So if I didn't have dish's locals then it would just say "Digital Service" in the program guide correct?

No it dosent matter about the locals, if you are subscribed to a Dish HD package or are paying the $6 a month HD enabling fee you will be able to use the OTA tuner.

I have 2 HDTV's (living room and bedroom) Can this receiver output through component and HDMI at the same time? and if so, is each feed still a different tuner? (meaning I can watch a program in the living room and a diffeent one at the same time in the bedroom):confused:
Thanks!

"Can this receiver output through component and HDMI at the same time"

I asked this around page 6, Scott said he could not test it as he does not have HDMI, but he did say he asked at CES and they said all were active,

I guess no one has been able to confirm that all active means all at the same time or active as in they are working (like the EtherNet Port is NOT active right now).

We need someone to get one of these with an HDMI /DVI port on there TV so they can report back to us, please .

halsan40 said:
Can you see Locals on TV2?

Yes and NO. You wont see the OTA channels But if you subscribe to the locals from Dish you will see those listed in the guide where your local channels should be (ie their actual channel number)

Below is a photo I just took on TV 2 showing this in the guide.

Attachments

• locals.jpg
    locals.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 340
gutter said:
One more question Scott.... Does the 622 have a native mode allowing you to just pass through the 1080I or 720P signal and let the TV do the conversion if it needs to? I always liked the VOOM receiver because it allowed for a bypass.

Scott...I am bumping this question again because I don't think you caught it earlier.

gutter said:
Scott...I am bumping this question again because I don't think you caught it earlier.
Whoops sorry, I am trying to catch them all. :)

No it does not doing native switching, you set it to 480, 720 or 1080, and everything is upconverted or downcoverted to the resolution you selected.

It does not automatically switch from 1080i to 720p like other (non Echostar) recievers do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts