First Looks: The Verizon Motorola Droid

Makes sense to skip 2.0, given that 2.1 is out.
Reports indicate 2.1 is on some Eris phones for testing currently. No reports of 2.0.

Speaking of 2.x (vs 1.5), I finally realized what was different about Google Maps on the older release: It doesn't update as I drive ! :D I thought, "I've got Google Maps" and with GPS on, it follows me down the road, then I realized the directions don't change in case I go a different way.

Reports indicate 2.1 is on some Eris phones for testing currently. No reports of 2.0.

Speaking of 2.x (vs 1.5), I finally realized what was different about Google Maps on the older release: It doesn't update as I drive ! :D I thought, "I've got Google Maps" and with GPS on, it follows me down the road, then I realized the directions don't change in case I go a different way.

The navigation features are new to the 2.0 release; although even then you need to tell it to navigate. I struggled with it at first, but once I figured it out it was pretty cool.

I used the navigation software even when I was on a train to Chicago, and the map detail even showed the rail lines. I thought that was very nice.

I am anxiously awaiting for version 2.1; I really want 5 home screens.

Also just downloaded the CNet Scan and Shop app - just like Amazon.com's, but provides a bigger database to look for items and multiple prices. Love it!

Take a look at ShopSavvy, Mike. It's been around longer, and is done by a guy I know up in Dallas.

I'm waiting impatiently for 2.x on my Sprint Hero.

I have had Windows Mobile for about 4 years and they haven't made much improvement in the OS so I am done.

ramy- the biggest improvement in win mobile 5.0 ( circa 4 years ago), and 6.5 today is you don't need to reboot all the time. Other than that, you're right, not much else improved. More importantly, are the 3rd party skins and tab displays you can add to make the WM OS be very efficient. Most of my apps continue to work through the version changes which is nice.

Yeah, underneath hasn't changed much, but HTC has performed a miracle with it. Love it the way it is now..easy interface on top but yet advanced underneath that I can get to.

The new 23XXX builds of 6.5.3 are absolutely awesome though. Huge facelift to WinMo and all the buttons are at the bottom, very easy to reach with your thumb, no more having to stretch the thumb up to the top of the screen to close an app. Which is even harder to do on the huge screen of the Touch Pro 2.

But I do admit, another huge reason that I'm sticking with WinMo is Sprint doesn't let you activate the android phones on the old legacy plans. And no way am I letting go of my $30 SERO plan.

ManilaHome.png
ManilaEmail.png
ManilaWeather.png

Dialer.png
StartMain.png
animation3.gif

I can't blame you there Digi. I wouldn't either if I had that plan or something similar.

I just discovered that the bar codes on webpages that talk about Android applications can be used with ShopSavvy. Scan the bar code and it takes you to the application and asks you to download it. Pretty cool feature.

I have only used the app once so far, but it is pretty cool. Yet another reason I love my Droid - and the Android OS.

Fingers crossed for 2.1 in a few days. :)

Do you know if the new phones have 2.1? I am about to pull the trigger.

Do you know if the new phones have 2.1? I am about to pull the trigger.

As of the time I am posting this only the Nexus one has had 2.1 released for it. There are rumors that the Droid will get the update today but we will just have to wait and see.

Didn't get it this morning, but didn't expect to. When the first maintenance release came out mine came a day or two afterwards. The reports were that it would go to 5,000 today, more tomorrow, and then the rest by Sunday. IF the rumors are true.

No reports on Android central as of yet. If it hits, it probably won't be until later, and most likely for just a small lucky few. I can't imagine they would release it to everyone; way too much risk of tanking their servers.

At this point it is a waiting game. We know 2.1 is coming, just a question of when.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)