First Snow- No signal

tsanders3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Simpsonville, SC
In SC we are getting our first decent wet, heavy snow. Lost complete signal. I went and brushed off the snow from the dish but still no signal. I am on the Eastern Arc with a VIP612 HD DVR. The last time it snowed hard a few years ago I was on a Dish SD box and it was not on the Eastern Arch as we know it and had no issues. I guess I am glad we do not get snow often but thought the EA was supposed to get better signal. Interested in others experience.

In SC we are getting our first decent wet, heavy snow. Lost complete signal. I went and brushed off the snow from the dish but still no signal. I am on the Eastern Arc with a VIP612 HD DVR. The last time it snowed hard a few years ago I was on a Dish SD box and it was not on the Eastern Arch as we know it and had no issues. I guess I am glad we do not get snow often but thought the EA was supposed to get better signal. Interested in others experience.

Maybe moisture in a connection is shorting the signal. Or the weight of the snow or you're brushing it off nudged the dish out of alignment. When you run a check switch, what results do you get? Are you getting a "good" connection from the receiver to the LNB?

If it is still snowing pretty heavy, you will have signal loss. A very wet heavy snow will so that.

EA dishes are smaller in size based on the number of orbital sots refelcted and thus the signal strengths are lower.
I have a chart here. Minimukm sigs on all sats on all three birds run from 50 to about 75 depending on satellite ands transponder chosen.
A heavy wet snowfall will block the signal same as a heavy rainfall.
If you choose to remove the snow fronm the dish, be careful not to contact the dish in a manner that may move it.
The tolerances for EA dishes are slight. So a good nudge can move the dish enough to knock it out of alignment. Of course there's nothing better than a securley mounted dish to prevent this.

it seems like it was the heavy snow. Checked with some D* and E* users in the area and they lost signal also. Once it went to flurries and I knocked off the snow it worked OK.
Glad we don't get snow often.

I'm just down the road from you in Laurens county. I had enough snow build up on my 1000.2 to lose the signal. Fortunately, I was able to brush the snow off of it with a broom, through a window. It was not a lot of snow on the dish, maybe an inch, but it was really wet. I also needed to brush off my 61.5 wing dish.
I originally wanted the wing dish mounted on the roof, but the installer post mounted it instead.
This snow and high winds knocked the local CBS affiliate, WSPA's main transmitter tower down, right on top of their backup tower. :eek:
They are able to broadcast on a sister station's subchannel. So no CBS HD for a while. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts