Fisher Communications Channels are BACK on Dish!

Retired on minimal income...we subscribed to Dishnetwork in a bundle with the telephone co to save money....we presumed that all major networks would be included in our dishnetwork channels. We would never have agreed to a cable or satellite provider that did not (at a minimum) provide the traditional network feeds that the nation seeks for public information, news, sports, and entertainment. If Dish does not negotiate an ABC link for its customers in WA, then...we will cancel our subscription agreement and seek a provider that is committed to public service and subscribes to FCC guidelines and provider obligations for programming. Dishnet does indeed have a basic obligation and responsibility to provide the public--access to national networks and local affiliates that broadcast MASS EMERGENCY Communications as well as public information and entertainment.

Of course we have not subscribed to DISHNET for a year yet....so there are penalties for cancellation. That is an issue for those of us on limited incomes....but maybe DISHNET will be understanding, merciful, and cooperative. ???

Are you serious? That's not going to work. Turn on a radio or watch another local and you'll get your News and MASS EMERGENCY Communications from them.

And Dish follows the FCC guidelines, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to operate. They also go by the providers obligations except for the ones where the station wants Dish to pass on a rate increase on to your bill.

People don't realize this but the same exact thing happens in the cable TV world. But just not as often as some cable systems have 2 DMAs on them, no bargaining power there.

If Dish does not negotiate an ABC link for its customers in WA, then...we will cancel our subscription agreement and seek a provider that is committed to public service and subscribes to FCC guidelines and provider obligations for programming.
So if the local stations told Dish it would cost $10/per subscriber each month, Dish just has to suck it up and pay them ?

As for emergency notification, the satellites and cablecos are supposed to have the ability to interrupt all channels when necessary so you don't even have to be watching your local networks to find out when something is happening.

I have to say it at least once in each thread dealing with local channels and any retransmission dispute: If I were king, any local channel that refused its signal to a satellite or cable carrier that is rebroadcasting that signal WITHIN the designated marketing area of that station would have its license revoked instantly and given to the next person waiting in line to take over that channel.

See ya
Tony

“In light of the inclement weather impacting much of the Pacific Northwest and concerns about public safety, Fisher attempted to extend the expiration of the current agreement until Monday, Dec. 22 to ensure that Dish customers in the region could continue to receive news and weather updates,” Fisher said. “However, Dish rejected the company’s proposal.”

If the above statement is true Dish just harmed it's public image.

Go back to page 4 and read the letter from Charlie Ergen who offered to keep things on throughout the bad weather.

The offer was made by Dish.

BS. What Dish did was not extend a contract strictly so the station could keep its ratings for the news/weather over the weekend. The argument about local weather is total BS. there are at least three other stations each of which get their weather info fromt he same sources. There are radio stations and many people have antennas and can pick up any channel no matter what Dish does.

The contract had expired. Charlie offered an extension through the winter months, but the station rejected that. So that was that.

Now the station group is suing Dish? This is laughable!

See ya
Tony

“In light of the inclement weather impacting much of the Pacific Northwest and concerns about public safety, Fisher attempted to extend the expiration of the current agreement until Monday, Dec. 22 to ensure that Dish customers in the region could continue to receive news and weather updates,” Fisher said. “However, Dish rejected the company’s proposal.”

If the above statement is true Dish just harmed it's public image.

We all have other TV networks, radio, internet, newspapers etc. Dish offered to extend the current contract through the end of winter March or April. Fisher is blowing smoke it's much ado about nothing.

NightRyder

I just watch KOIN-KGW or KPTV most of the time. Only 1 holiday game of importance on ABC is the Rose Bowl and I don't like either team anyway.

Thanks Scott for the straight story.

Snowy Oregon

For not letting them stay on because of the bad weather..

I guess they forgot there were 3 other local stations also broadcasting the weather as well.

Local stations make the most money when there is bad weather locally as they can show more local ads during that time frame.

If the locals seeing this news was so important to Fisher they would not not be in this dispute with Dish, it has nothing to do with the public or public saftey, they could care less about that. (my opinon of course)

Its all about the money. Follow the money trail.

And just to note, normally I hate it when Dish is in Disputes like this, but this is one I am in dishes corner for.

Fisher Communications*Sues Dish For Breach-of-Contract After Station Drops* - 12/18/2008 2:33:00 PM - Multichannel News

Fisher Communications Sues Dish For Breach-of-Contract After Station Drops

Broadcaster Seeks $1 Million Over Contract Breach, While Nine Stations Off Air In Retrans Dispute

By Linda Moss -- Multichannel News, 12/18/2008 2:33:00 PM

A Northwest broadcaster sued Dish Network for breach-of-contract Thursday, seeking $1 million, after the satellite provider dropped nine of its TV stations in a retransmission-consent dispute.

The lawsuit filed by Seattle-based Fisher Communications, ironically, doesn’t directly stem from the station drops, but from other contractual breaches that the broadcaster is alleging.

Fisher also charged Thursday that it asked Dish Network to keep its stations on so viewers could get news about the bad weather conditions currently impacting the region, but that the satellite provider dropped them anyway.

The broadcaster issued that statement, and filed its suit in federal district Court in Oregon, in the wake of Dish Network pulling its stations Wednesday night after its retransmission-consent deal with the broadcaster expired in seven markets.

Fisher claims that Dish Network violated the terms of a carriage agreement when it failed to retransmit Univision affiliate KUNP-TV’s signal in Portland, Ore., from July 2006, when Fisher acquired the station, until April 30 of this year. In addition, Dish Network has not paid Fisher any carriage fees for KUNP, as specified in the prior agreement, the suit claims.

Dish is currently carrying KUNP, and did not drop it as part of the current retrans dispute.

In its complaint, Fisher also said that Dish Network breached the prior carriage agreement when it failed to pay Fisher in full for broadcasting KBAK-TV and KBFX-TV in Bakersfield, Calif., on its service. Those two stations are among the nine stations that Dish Network dropped Wednesday.

Fisher acquired the two stations Jan. 1 from Westwind Communications. While Dish has acknowledged that it has underpaid Fisher during that time period, it has not submitted proper payments to the company, the suit alleges.

“Fisher Communications’ lawsuit is without merit,” Dish Network said in a statement late Thursday. “They are asking for payment on a station that elected must-carry and, by statute, Dish Network does not owe any money for that station. We are bewildered by their allegation that any money could be owed on a must-carry station. Furthermore, Fisher has asked for over an 80% increase from our customers, who should not be required to ‘bail out’ Fisher management for underperforming stations.”

The Fisher stations that Dish Network pulled: KOMO-TV and KUNS-TV in Seattle; KIMA-TV in Yakima, Wash.; KATU-TV in Portland, Ore.; KVAL-TV in Eugene, Ore.; KBCI-TV in Boise, Idaho; KIDK-TV in Idaho Falls, Idaho; and KBAK-TV and KBFX-TV in Bakersfield, Calif.

Fisher also said it implored Dish to keep its stations on because of the local bad weather, so viewers could receive updates.

“Despite Fisher’s good-faith efforts to negotiate a new agreement, we were unable to reach acceptable terms to ensure that Dish provides us fair compensation for the value they receive from broadcasting our stations, which have leading positions in their markets and consistently deliver highly viewed news and programming,” Rob Dunlop, Fisher’s senior vice president of operations, said in a statement.

“Our signal remains available over the public airwaves and through other service providers such as cable or DirecTV,” he said. “We regret any inconvenience Dish Network viewers may experience as they look for other options in order to watch our stations.”

Dish claims that Fisher Communications is seeking unreasonable contract terms and a rate increase of 82% for continued carriage of its stations. The satellite provider said it has to draw the line at such “strong-arm tactics.”

I'm with Scott on this. If it meant so much to KOMO to cover the nasty weather we're having, they would've taken Charlie up on his offer to extend the existing contract through the winter months.

Obviously, since the station is gone from Dish, management at KOMO/Fisher decided the money was more important than news/public safety.

So, again, I don't fault Dish for this dispute or the missing channel. I can get my news/local weather from 3 other HD locals out of Seattle and that's what I'm doing. KOMO/Fisher are just plain wrong in their stance and in the lawsuit...

I'm with Scott on this. If it meant so much to KOMO to cover the nasty weather we're having, they would've taken Charlie up on his offer to extend the existing contract through the winter months.

Obviously, since the station is gone from Dish, management at KOMO/Fisher decided the money was more important than news/public safety.

So, again, I don't fault Dish for this dispute or the missing channel. I can get my news/local weather from 3 other HD locals out of Seattle and that's what I'm doing. KOMO/Fisher are just plain wrong in their stance and in the lawsuit...

It's obviously a "spaghetti" lawsuit; Fisher is just throwing random charges at Dish in hopes something sticks, or intimidates them (fat chance).

NightRyder

Its all about the money. Follow the money trail.
Hell, this is where all the cablecos and Directv and Dish need to "partner" up and refuse to give in to these local station's demands. People say Dish (or Directv or fill-in-the-cableco-name-here) will lose customers when they drop a channel because people will leave and go to a competitor but if they join together, where can someone go ? Fact is, without cable or satellite, most TV stations will lose 80-85% of their viewers !! They can't survive with OTA only. The local NBC got dropped by Time Warner and of course, that station was constantly inserting graphics telling viewers to call Time Warner and complain. All they wanted was for customers to do half their battle !

Hall I would love for DirecTV, Dish and the cable cos to band together on this issue, but unfortunately that would be the definition of Collusion which is frowned upon in a supposed free-market economy.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts