Flash Forward

Unfortunately only the first couple episodes and the last 2 were really interesting to me. The other ones in the middle could have been a soap opera. I think they tried to hit too many demographics.

I for one, will no longer watch ABC shows....

They have done this to too many of them I watched:

Invasion
The Nine
Defying Gravity
Happy Town
and now, Flashforward
and ALMOST 'V' (although it might be saved as a midseason replacement)

I don't mean to start a discussion on merits of each. But the fact that ABC plays games, like putting Defying Gravity on JUST so NBC couldn't exercise their option on it. Cancelling Happy Town after *2* episodes, etc, etc

You need to give a show AT LEAST 13 episodes to see what is going on, I even think 24 is a better number. Yes, I know they are expensive, but the loyal fans of a show DESERVER AT LEAST a closeout movie on shows that they stayed tuned too. Also, many shows pick up their audience after season 1. Networks rerun the first season during the summer. Heck ABC even did that for a few, to give a chance, like LOST, Murder One, and it worked for those!

I for one, will no longer watch ABC shows....

They have done this to too many of them I watched:

Invasion
The Nine
Defying Gravity
Happy Town
and now, Flashforward
and ALMOST 'V' (although it might be saved as a midseason replacement)

I don't mean to start a discussion on merits of each. But the fact that ABC plays games, like putting Defying Gravity on JUST so NBC couldn't exercise their option on it. Cancelling Happy Town after *2* episodes, etc, etc

You need to give a show AT LEAST 13 episodes to see what is going on, I even think 24 is a better number. Yes, I know they are expensive, but the loyal fans of a show DESERVER AT LEAST a closeout movie on shows that they stayed tuned too. Also, many shows pick up their audience after season 1. Networks rerun the first season during the summer. Heck ABC even did that for a few, to give a chance, like LOST, Murder One, and it worked for those!

Yep, they have screwed us over several times!

On new series like happy town I just let the DVR record it before watching. If it is canceled in the first few episodes, I just delete it without viewing. My general policy now is wait about 6 episodes and see if it is doing well before committing. Of course my DVRs probably report this behavior leading to show cancellation from poor ratings.

On new series like happy town I just let the DVR record it before watching. If it is canceled in the first few episodes, I just delete it without viewing. My general policy now is wait about 6 episodes and see if it is doing well before committing. Of course my DVRs probably report this behavior leading to show cancellation from poor ratings.
I sort of do the same but keep ... I watched the first 2 FF's have the rest on a EHDD to watch sometime...

I just watched the last episode of FlashForward (forgot it was still on the TivoHD) and I'm once again pissed they yanked this show. Does anyone know if one of the cable networks is going to pick this show up in this future?

I just watched the last episode of FlashForward (forgot it was still on the TivoHD) and I'm once again pissed they yanked this show. Does anyone know if one of the cable networks is going to pick this show up in this future?

DOubt it. I quit watching when I learned it was cancelled. I was 4 or 5 episodes behind, and just did not have the energy to put into a show I knew was most likely going to end without actually ending.

Of all the networks, ABC does seem to have the record for yanking shows before they're able to either reach their prime or reach a suitable conclusion. So surprised this is the network that stuck with "LOST" through thick and thin. I thought FlashForward had real potential... potential that wasn't quite realized. I think it would have been better if it were planned as a short-run, maybe 13 episode series. It seemed like a finite story that really wouldn't be able to go on and on. I think more of these "big idea" shows should be planned that way.

If you liked the premise of FlashForward and can take some pretty hard-core sci-fi details, read the book "Flash Forward". I bailed on the series once I knew it was cancelled, but it seems like they were taking it in a different direction. I made the mistake of reading the book shortly before the series began, and was very confused since some key story points were the same, some character names were the same... and some things were entirely different. Oh well.

Of all the networks, ABC does seem to have the record for yanking shows before they're able to either reach their prime or reach a suitable conclusion.
Is that an assumption? or do you have a source for that? Because my impression was that Fox, ABC and NBC (i.e., all the major OTA networks without Sumner Redstone as a major player) were all pretty-much the same in that regard.

Is that an assumption? or do you have a source for that? Because my impression was that Fox, ABC and NBC (i.e., all the major OTA networks without Sumner Redstone as a major player) were all pretty-much the same in that regard.

Well, since he said "ABC does seem" I think it is obvious that it is his opinion. How could there even be a source for a statement like that "ABC does seem to have the record for yanking shows before they're able to either reach theri prime or reach a suitable conclusion?" Not everything that is discussed in an online discussion forum needs to have a source.

You're mistaken when you assume that there cannot be a source of information like that. There have been numerous analyses of the issue, and a review of a sample of the most credible ones can absolutely draw a reasonable and referrable conclusion. As I indicated earlier, if such a review was conducted, I believe (my guess) that it would show Fox, ABC and NBC so close together as to be "too close to call".

Regardless, my polite request for clarification was more constructive than, "No! You're wrong!" :rolleyes:

Of all the networks, ABC does seem to have the record for yanking shows before they're able to either reach their prime or reach a suitable conclusion. So surprised this is the network that stuck with "LOST" through thick and thin. I thought FlashForward had real potential... potential that wasn't quite realized. I think it would have been better if it were planned as a short-run, maybe 13 episode series. It seemed like a finite story that really wouldn't be able to go on and on. I think more of these "big idea" shows should be planned that way.

If you liked the premise of FlashForward and can take some pretty hard-core sci-fi details, read the book "Flash Forward". I bailed on the series once I knew it was cancelled, but it seems like they were taking it in a different direction. I made the mistake of reading the book shortly before the series began, and was very confused since some key story points were the same, some character names were the same... and some things were entirely different. Oh well.

The fact that ABC let FF go the whole season, and letting a lame V go back for a second does not support your assertion.

Well, I've decided to clean-up the recordings on a TivoHD and came across the FlashForward series finale. I thought watching a few minutes would be a pleasant reminder of how much I liked this show...but all it did was tick me off remembering how some of my favorites shows that were cancelled before their time: Jericho, Invasion, FlashForward, Numb3rs, The Defenders, etc. I cleaned off old Leno recordings (passing off the baton to Conan O'Brien and then beating him with that same baton when he took back the Tonight Show) and other stuff I was keeping. However, I didn't delete the FlashForward or Numb3rs series finales. I'm not sure why, but I always struggle when it comes to deleting old favorites.

Anyway, I'll leave it up to you guy....delete it or keep it on the DVR?

Also, is there anything currently on-the-air that is Invasion or FlashForward like? (That suckmonster Terra Nova is going to be cancelled---for good reason---and I can't find a Sci-Fi show worth watching).

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

That is what EHDs are for... I stick a lot of these type series on there and every now and then may go back and review them and think of all the lost potential...

Unfortunately Tivo doesn't support EHD and I only have 660 GB of storage on my TivoHDs. I was hoping to upgrade to a 2 TB model, but I don't like the Tivo Premiere model and Moxi stopped selling their direct-to-consumer models. Yikes! I would have thought that by 2012 consumer DVRs woulld be just as plentiful as the DVR/DB players - just stop at the local Big Box store. DVRs should not be a tied to any particuler cable/satellite provider. :(

Unfortunately Tivo doesn't support EHD and I only have 660 GB of storage on my TivoHDs. I was hoping to upgrade to a 2 TB model, but I don't like the Tivo Premiere model and Moxi stopped selling their direct-to-consumer models. Yikes! I would have thought that by 2012 consumer DVRs woulld be just as plentiful as the DVR/DB players - just stop at the local Big Box store. DVRs should not be a tied to any particuler cable/satellite provider. :(

With TiVo you can just move them to a computer disk over ethernet with the TiVo Desktop software. There are also some programs out there that will remove the TiVo "copy protection". So, you can have perfect copies saved away on computer, viewable on the PC, or you can watch them on your TiVo (it will copy back). Note it does not remove the copy from the TiVo when you copy to a PC.

Also on my older HD TiVos I have changed out the HD to a larger one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)