Flat cable wire caused fire

I wonder why they're installing it if it's not approved. It was an official Dish Network installer who installed it last July. Every resident in my complex who has a dish is using the same flat cable (according to the residence office).

Dish Network told me they will send someone out to install a new flat cable tomorrow. Are NO flat cables approved? Is there any other way to get the signal inside w/o a hole in the wall?
Everyone in your complex is using flat cables? :eek: Maybe you should move (or at least make sure your smoke detector is working). The best way to get a signal inside is to drill a hole in the wall and run a cable through the wall.

The approved flat cable has high frequency connectors so it should not be a problem for HD.

:rolleyes:

HD vs. SD is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT when you're discussing the cable from the LNB to the satellite receiver. The frequencies are many many times that needed for baseband video (the only time HD vs SD would be relevant), and not any different for HD vs SD.

ATSC pixel clock is 74.25MHz. Compare that to the 2.150GHz needed for a DishPro Plus LNB.

If I couldn't get the installer to do it, I would be temped to install an inline fuse, say 1A. Then maybe short the connector at the flat cable to see if the fuse blows.

Does the receiver get fried when the cable shorts out?

I really appreciate all the input from everyone. The fire marshall said he plans to look at this thread to see the things I told him you said. If the complex does not decide to allow holes, I believe I will have them take their equipment when they come tomorrow. Unfortunatelly, I paid several hundreds of dollars to pruchase one of their dual tuner DVR receivers. Maybe they will give me a refund in light of the fire.

My receive is still fine, so far. The inline fuse sounds interesting. Do you know if DN has this option?

I highly doubt there is an inline fuse kit made for coax. I believe it would have to be shielded like the coax itself for the sake of the signal it carries. Is there a different way you could run it? Through a window or under the door jam somehow? Maybe accidentally drill a hole in the wall and patch it when you leave?

My receive is still fine, so far. The inline fuse sounds interesting. Do you know if DN has this option?

I don't know if anyone has this option, it was just a thought I had.

On reflection, installing an inline fuse that's imune to rf interference could tricksy. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

What Claude says is true. The dish approved part is a flat cable that is approx 12 inches long, it is a TFC Amphenol P/N (part number) TFC-144823 and is UL listed. The short 8 inch flat cables you see for 99 cents are not for satellite, but can be used for an ota. The approved flat cable has high frequency connectors so it should not be a problem for HD. The cheap flat cables only use normal connectors and when you have buildup such as a short in the cable it can get hot and burn causing a possible fire.

I personally don't like flat cables, but if you need to use it at least get the 12 inch flat cable and try not to slam your sliding glass door. Over time they need to be replaced regardless of how the cable is treated.

Anybody know where to get this cable? I tried searching but didn't really turn up anything. I found one place but it's like $30.

I'd pay $200 for a safe, flat cord -- but I don't think I would ever trust another flat one again. Seeing flames in your apartment just a minute before you were planning to leave is enough to make you paranoid about them all.

I'm glad I at least was able to raise some warning flags here, at my local fire department, and at my apartment complex. If I had read a post like this before last July, I would not have risked using that cable.

I definitely advise that no one ever uses the short, flat cable, like the one Dish Network installed for me 8 months ago.

most apartments have air conditioners - every apartment around here has one. I don't use flat cable - for reasons already discussed, but why can't the cables come in through the air conditioner vent?

Pretty much do all of my apartment installs that way - apartments will not let you drill holes. I can understand why - tenants usually are not there for life.

Here is a photo:

heyjude1971-albums-dish-network-flat-cable-fire-hazard-picture84-dish-network-flat-cable-fire-hazard.jpg

Is it just me or does that cable look like the TFC Amphenol TFC-144823 that was recommended up above.

No the connectors are different, also it has a huge UL Listed logo on the cable. I'm trying to find this cable to replace mine, but I can't really find anywhere to buy it.

TIM1500.jpg

Ok you need to use the good flat cables.

The big mistake is that the installer put the cable on the wrong part of the door. It should not be put on the part of the slider that opens and closes all the time. The installer needs to pull the other side of the door and put the cables through there. That side never opens so you don't have the wear on the cable.

All the installer has to do is remove the stops that hold the other side of the slider in. Run the cables behind that door panel then put it back and reinstall the stops.

I never put flat cables in the part of the door that opens and closes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)