Focal point finder tool

itlfly2

Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
Does anyone know where I can get a manual Focal point finder tool? Skyvision has a laser one for $140 but I don't want one that bad.

itlfly2 said:
Does anyone know where I can get a manual Focal point finder tool? Skyvision has a laser one for $140 but I don't want one that bad.

Wayne,

Unfortunately, I can't post a link to the picture but here is an updated version of instructions I posted at another forum:

The following is from a joint effort by member CatDog and myself. Cost was around $20 us. Assembly time is about 30 min plus overnight for epoxy to setup

Materiel List:
1 Plastic Oil fliter wrench, type that fits over end of oil filter and fits on a 3/8 inch ratchet. Filter size needs to be as close to the diameter of the feed horn as you can get.

1 keychain laser. This should be the cylinder type and be approximately 3/8 inch diameter

Misc items:
Epoxy putty. Can be found at the local handy man store and generally has two parts that have to be mixed together.

1/2 inch by 3/4 inch piece of duct tape, I prefer grey but I guess other colors might work just as well.

Assembly:
1. Test fit the oil filter wrench on feed horn. Should be just snug enough that it won’t fall off when you let go. If it is to tight, carefully and uniformly sand each of the flat spots inside the filter wrench until you get the fit you desire.
2. Place oil filter on a flat level surface with the part that goes over the filter down.
3. Fit laser into 3/8 inch opening in filter wrench. Laser should be pointing up.
4. Mix up just enough of the epoxy to hold the laser in place
5. Center laser in opening of 3/8 opening of oilfilter and apply epoxy.
6. After a few minutes, roatate the wrench while it sits on a flat surface with the laser tuned on. Try to get the laser pointed at the ceiling so it does not move from the same point.and square up with surface that your feed horn alignment tool is on.

Oh, almost forgot the duct tape. The laser on the unit I use has a button on the side that has to be depressed to turn the laser on. The duct tape serves to keep the button depressed while things are aligned.

Thanks bud,
That looks like a pretty good way to make one.
I saw one in a website on tracking and adjusting the dish that was a cup that fitted over the horn and had a telescoping part extending out from the middle like a car antenna. I thought I might be able to find one of those. If not then I'll try to make one as you suggest.
Thanks.

Cable Choice Now Announces Formation

ABC Family 25 Days of Christmas Schedule

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts