Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra.. missing out on stuff?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ConnecticutJunkman

Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
NW Connecticut
Hello,

I moved to a new place that allows me to set up a dish and play with FTA again. I have an old Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra. I have it pointed at G19 and it seems to be working OK. But I see I am missing out on channels listed on the databases. Retro TV East was one I was really hoping to get. The transponders I do get are Signal levels 90% and Quality around 50 (well in the green).

I am not sure if this is an Signal level issue or there is just new formats my old RCVR can't do. I know this stuff is old.. The last time I had it running I was looking at TV news feeds for hurricane Katrina and it was a few years old by then lol.

My dish is a fortec star round dish (30" iirc)
Fortec star FSKU-v lnbf 0.4 db 10.7-12.75

Is it worth upgrading the LNBF?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Retro TV East is MPEG-4. IIRC that receiver is Mpeg-2 Only.
May be time to upgrade your receiver.

Yes thanks. This oldie only does MPEG2. I ordered an "x2 mini premium HD" revr off Amazon to play with. Hopefully I didn't waste my money I went just off reviews since I don't know much about newer stuff.

I also realized I didn't have the skew set (used to have a motorized mount that did it) and now I have it set I am getting much better Q numbers. Found 301 clear channels on G19 (video/radio) with the old unit. Can't wait to see what I find with one that does MPEG4.

Do you think its worth upgrading the lnb? I see ones that advertise .1 db.. just marketing or is it really a big improvement over my older .4?

I have the x2 mini premium HD. For a cheaper receiver it's actually really impressive. I had some difficultly nudging the dish with 1.2, but it wasn't tough to figure out. I also had the Fortec Lifetime Ultra when I first started -- I remember setting 91 West to scan, taking a shower, and having it finally finish up (and it was worse on C-Band). The new receivers are done in a minute or less sometimes.

.1 db is just marketing hype. Maverick Satellite MK1-PLL KU Band PLL LNBF (Standard 10750 LO) is a good one,
PLL (Phase-Locked Loop) is the latest technology, find one here
Thanks for the tip. I will get that and a few switches. I see a multi-dish setup in my future.

I have the x2 mini premium HD. For a cheaper receiver it's actually really impressive. I had some difficultly nudging the dish with 1.2, but it wasn't tough to figure out. I also had the Fortec Lifetime Ultra when I first started -- I remember setting 91 West to scan, taking a shower, and having it finally finish up (and it was worse on C-Band). The new receivers are done in a minute or less sometimes.
Lol yes seeing the new ones on Youtube compared to this fortec star is funny. I used to really get to work on my tan hanging out on my flat roof with the dish,the Fortec star, and 13" TV waiting for it to do scans while exploring the skies.

I wont toss it out. I will see if I can find a good bird for radio and park it there and hook it up in my workshop.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I got into this hobby with my Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra scanning around. I watched plenty of FTA with it until lightning killed it in 2007. I replaced it with a Pansat 2700A at the time. Even though it was buggy and frequently crashed requiring a reboot, I always thought the Fortec had better picture quality on the TV I had back then.

I wont toss it out. I will see if I can find a good bird for radio
103W - I've got a 1.2m on there, my Pansat 3500 SD via a multiswitch, and a (presently broken) FM TX.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)