Found A Solution For the Dreaded "Thread Virus"...

Vicki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Rocklin, CA--near Sacramento
Earlier today I was scouring the forums looking for good news, and noticed that the dreaded “Thread Virus” had struck in nearly every thread on every VOOM forum I wanted to read. In between every other post on every forum...the same one-note samba...incoherent, off-topic, manic!! Over and over and over again!! :no :mad: !sadroll :what

My head began to throb and my blood pressure was off the charts. :eek:

Eventually, it became so bad that I actually got the following notice and lost my Satellite Guys connection entirely:

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.satelliteguys.us Port 80"

I went to lunch, had a couple of drinks to try to soothe my frazzled nerves caused by this dreaded virus, and hoped that shutting down my computer would eradicate it from my system.

As you all probably surmised, that didn’t work. :no :river Some staff members appear to be trying to work on the problem, but with perhaps only with limited success.

:eureka :eureka If the virus persists, here’s a remedy I found:

Click on “User Control Panel”, scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Under “Miscellaneous” click on Buddy / Ignore Lists. Type in the name of the virus that has interfered with any threads that you wish to read under the “Ignore List”.
Click on “Update Ignore List”.

Went back; zipped through the new posts in half the time it had been taking; actually was able to maintain the trains of thought being posted; and my headache is subsiding!! :D :bounce :clap @party :wave

If you, too have suffered from this dreaded virus, give it a try! ;)

Vicki

Vicki said:

Vicki
I'm ashamed that I didn't think of this myself. I was actually considering just no longer visiting these forums because of the high level of annoyance this "virus" causes me. Your suggestion is better. A good old fashioned banning would be best IMO. This virus serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

Good Advice, Are you a Pre-Med student.

I thought I was the only one suffering from the symptoms of this dread virus.
Although I saw that it had attacked many poor souls.

I believe the virus is carried by the thin skinned troll.

Yes, I've noticed this too lately. I'm still happily Vooming away, although I haven't figured out which virus is worse, the Mindless Cheerleader virus or the Voom Tomb virus. Although there have been some rumblings here today that maybe the dreaded Board Meeting virus may not cause a total system crash after all. Guess we'll just have to wait a few days and see. In the meantime, I'll just need to figure out if I need to implement Vicki's solution or not.

- jame

1080iBeVuMin and Vurbano - the exact spelling escapes me at the moment ;) ... maybe too many celebratory drinks after I discovered my solution would work for me...? :dev ...but somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm thinking Vurbano may be right.... :yes

The Timm - glad to hear this solution may ease your suffering! I have yet to hear of a virus that does serve a good purpose. :D

Kentstater72 - No, not Pre-Med...more like Post-Mad (as in insane!). :eek: You know...necessity being the mother of invention, and all that jazz! ;)

jame g - I know what you mean, but at least both Mindless Cheerleader (of which I may ultimately be considered a carrier) and Voom Tomb viruses usually display a different symptomology (is that even a word???) each time they strike! :D

warkovision - Are you referring to "GreatMac" who sometimes posts here or Mac computers? If it's Mac computers, I need a new computer, and will definitely look into them if they are immune from this virus! ;)

Oh well...headache dissipated, blood pressure back to normal, and getting ready to settle in and watch Desperate Housewives in the miserable SD from my cable company...AND waiting for Paul Harvey (or his reincarnation) to show up with the REST of the story.... (hopefully in the vicinity of 2/1/05!)? :D :yes Keep the faith...whatever yours is! :)

Vicki

justalurker said:
It is bad to be ignorant. It is worse to choose to be ignorant. If you have to ignore those you disagree with then you must not have a good argument.

JL

It is not a matter of being ignorant or even disagreeing with a virus. It is a matter of the virus just being a headache. Much like misquitoes or houseflies.

As adults we filter out background noise and nuisances all the time. In order to concentrate we ignore things around us, we choose to let things go right by without responding.

We have search engines that allow us to narrow our results, we have sorting filters to allow us to find what we want quickly and avoid the distractions. We use it in our e-mail, our databases, our project management software, etc.

It happens in our personal and professional lives every day, and this is just one more instance. This forum is no different.

Thank g*d for aspirin, humor, virus protection, and personal option settings. And g*d forbid that anyone deny us our rights to personal freedoms, own opinion, and ability to recognize our personal limitations when people overexert their own rights by commandeering a public forum and constantly ignoring thread topics by repeating inane comments at every opportunity available.

- jame

(PS I believe that even the moderators had difficulties with this virus and had to remove some entries to keep it from spreading out of control.)

You're right....

justalurker said:
It is bad to be ignorant. It is worse to choose to be ignorant. JL
Ignorance is bad, but I don't now and have never chosen to ignore those I disagree with.

I'm choosing to ignore those who impede my search for knowledge and understanding of a current situation.

You have the same choice available with regard to me...my argument is that I refuse to let someone who is incoherent most of the time, or juvenile, or druggie, or whatever....waste my time. :no :mad: Feel free to make the same decision regarding me. :p

Jame g - I feel your response to "justalurker's" post was absolutely "spot on"! :D Thanks!:D

But now I'm really ticked...was thinking it was Saturday...turns out to be Friday...no Desperate Housewives...only got 20/20 in bad SD...what a bummer! :( Sort of wish I had taped 20/20 because I didn't pay much attention until near the end (was so ticked about Housewives), and it was actually pretty interesting--the end segment had to do with how students over-fished the waters when they thought they belonged to everyone (horror storries about VOOM perhaps?) and yet when they felt they had a vested interest, and considered it their their own personal property, were more environmentally responsible (VOOM supporters coming forth perhaps?) :what :p

OK, OK...Sorry about the editorial comment! :p :p I'll go back to cocktails and brooding about Housewives....Peace all.... :D Gotta go watch the end of Leno in not-the-greatest cable HD...well...at least I get one local that way, even if there's no comparison! :)

Vicki

1) People come to this forum to discuss Voom, not personallities. The fact that you can't help but start a flame thread shows a lack of self control.
2) It is quite possible to ignore threads and posts without reading them. Unless one lacks self control.
3) It serves no purpose to publicly announce that you will be ignoring people other than to stir up trouble. Starting fights shows more lack of self control.

Personally, I came here to discuss Voom and the demise thereoff. It's a shame that you cannot do the same.

JL

If We're Discussing Personalities...

...dont' forget being deluded!

justalurker said:
Keep deluding yourselves. Mental heath experts across the nation look forward to seeing you all .. at $100 per hour.

JL

Sorry, Subdude212! :D I just didn't have the self-control to avoid pointing that minor omission out... ;) Also sorry I'm too ignorant to know how to do those link things like you did! :cool: Vicki

subdude212 said:
Not everyone of course. Here for instance you accuse people of lying, taking drugs and being ignorant.
All in the context of discussing the real topic. A couple words in an on topic post (note for links within this thread discussing certain ignoring member's ignorance is part of the topic). Not an entire thread saying "hey everyone, ignore people you can't bear to see".

But if it trips your trolly feel free to click here .

JL

Awww....Geez!!!

justalurker said:
All in the context of discussing the real topic. A couple words in an on topic post (note for links within this thread discussing certain ignoring member's ignorance is part of the topic). Not an entire thread saying "hey everyone, ignore people you can't bear to see".

But if it trips your trolly feel free to click here .

JL
....I started with old posts first, and I just went and told you I had to hand it to you for being right in another thread about whether the world was supposed to end in 2000 or 2001!!!! :no

In the interest of fair and balanced reporting of facts...I never said to "ignore people you can't bear to see." It wasn't that I couldn't bear to see the virus, in fact, I think that particular virus wants VOOM to succeed, just as I do. I just said it was a solution that worked for the virus that had impeded my progress, and if anyone else was having the same problems, it was an option to try. :)

You indicated in your first post that ignoring posts without reading them was possible, and so it is.... But with the volume I was experiencing with the particular virus I referred to, and considering the fact that the posts were usually totally incoherent, it took entirely too much scrolling to suit me. :no

Now, I may be ignorant, but I really did try (in the beginning) to comprehend those posts. Perhaps I'm too ignorant to understand them, but I just couldn't make any sense at all out of most of them. Consequently, I devised another plan.

Of course, being delusional and all, I now understand what a horrendous faux paux that was. Mea culpa!!!!!! :p (And no...I don't speak French OR latin!)

Take it easy...Paul Harvey is on his way! :D Vicki

P.S.: I tried your link, and I may really be ignorant, but I didn't get the point. Can you enlighten me? :confused:

Vicki said:
Earlier today I was scouring the forums looking for good news, and noticed that the dreaded “Thread Virus” had struck in nearly every thread on every VOOM forum I wanted to read. In between every other post on every forum...the same one-note samba...incoherent, off-topic, manic!! Over and over and over again!! :no :mad: !sadroll :what

My head began to throb and my blood pressure was off the charts. :eek:

Eventually, it became so bad that I actually got the following notice and lost my Satellite Guys connection entirely:

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.satelliteguys.us Port 80"

I went to lunch, had a couple of drinks to try to soothe my frazzled nerves caused by this dreaded virus, and hoped that shutting down my computer would eradicate it from my system.

As you all probably surmised, that didn’t work. :no :river Some staff members appear to be trying to work on the problem, but with perhaps only with limited success.

:eureka :eureka If the virus persists, here’s a remedy I found:

Click on “User Control Panel”, scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Under “Miscellaneous” click on Buddy / Ignore Lists. Type in the name of the virus that has interfered with any threads that you wish to read under the “Ignore List”.
Click on “Update Ignore List”.

Went back; zipped through the new posts in half the time it had been taking; actually was able to maintain the trains of thought being posted; and my headache is subsiding!! :D :bounce :clap @party :wave

Vicki
Finally! Unless something's wrong with my computer it would appear the ever-wise (although in this case a little slower to act than I would have preferred) moderators have finally cured us of this virus. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

justalurker said:
1)

Personally, I came here to discuss Voom and the demise thereoff. It's a shame that you cannot do the same.

JL

The "alleged" demise. Despite all the thousands of words pro and con...there has been no demise of Voom.I t is still broadcasting. It is possibility and no matter your opinion or mine...neither of us is named Dolan, nor sit on his board. Voom will demise when it goes dark. Until then, it's just talk.

So say-eth the Red Head from Texas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts