Found new HD DVR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Hey people we have found a good DVR that can record in True HD. We are ready for the olympics first HD broadcast. Our web site is www.hdehome.com cotact Jarmaine for more info. Since you have been looking for that HD recorder.

(URL Removed until we can review the unit, if this company wishes to advertise their products on SatelliteGuys they can contact us for our ad rates - Scott)

And now much HD can you fit on a DVD? 20 minutes an hour?

This just sounds more like spam to me then a product announcement.

its not spam

Check it out the system it self have 120GB HDD Similar to the samsung which is 1199.00 without the DVD extraction. every hour of HD recording is 8GB so just do ur calculations. A DVD now can hold 8.5 GB. So one hour every DVD. Dont you think it better to put some on DVD without having to delete your videos????

OTA is actually the true HDTV all the other cable company that is saying they can get you High definition content... why would they not say high Definition quality. Because they can only do so much. Actually that so much is just upscaling DVD quality. But I mean I have cable as well and I'm not complaining because of all the other channels but I mean if you really want to get HD go OTA. Until they release the true HD in cable or direct TV. and take off the awful encryption that they have.

Well so far we are using this for OTA. It does have a HD tuner so. You will get both HD and none HD channels.

Will a Laptop Record in HD?

Will Sony's VAIO laptops record HD video content in true high definition with a 1394/i-link connection using their video capture software?

Mizee said:
Check it out the system it self have 120GB HDD Similar to the samsung which is 1199.00 without the DVD extraction. every hour of HD recording is 8GB so just do ur calculations. A DVD now can hold 8.5 GB. So one hour every DVD. Dont you think it better to put some on DVD without having to delete your videos????

Existing DVDa hold 4.7 GB per side/layer.
Exactly what type of DVD burner is in this unit that gives you 8.5 GB of storage and on what media?

Is there any manual for the unit that is available to download?

Thanks.

Bilodeaumj said:
$1300 to record Frasier reruns? Am I missing something???

There is more to local channels than you think. I think its good. Have you seen other shows in other channels other than ABC, NBC??? I mean if you are an HBO or MTV buff then you wont appreciate local channels but if your into other things then it would make a difference. If you want try it for yourself. Get a HD tuner. and a UHF antenna. and turn ur channel to KCETHD or any other channels that your antenna can pick up. You'll see the difference. I think I'm going to record the Olympics on HD.nice suggestion not everybody loves cable quality.

rjruby said:
Existing DVDa hold 4.7 GB per side/layer.
Exactly what type of DVD burner is in this unit that gives you 8.5 GB of storage and on what media?

Is there any manual for the unit that is available to download?

Thanks.

Two AZO recording layers on a single-sided disc.
8.5 GB of storage capacity on a single-sided disc. .
No need to flip the disc
Largest compatible DVD back-up and data archiving format for computer drives
2 hours of HD TV contents/4 hours of DVD quality television video/16 hours of VHS quality
Ideal for archiving home movies
Read compatible with DVD-ROM drives & DVD-Video players

Here is the spec on the DVD/R

Mizee,

can you explain what type of DVDs these are? How do you get 8.5 GB of storage on a single-sided disc. Is there compression involved when the DVD is burned?

I have always been told that a DVD didn't have the laser bandwidth to record in HD. It's not that the disk won't hold enough information, it's the laser that's the bottleneck. :confused:

Sean Mota said:
Mizee,

can you explain what type of DVDs these are? How do you get 8.5 GB of storage on a single-sided disc. Is there compression involved when the DVD is burned?

Here it is!
verbatim_dualdvd.jpg

and no there is no compression involed with the procedure. its double layer. soon they will come out with double layer w/ double sided.

kinda pricy. click here to buy some .

I think i will stick with my SD DVD recording (archiving)phillips dvdr75 It has 1394 input(hopefully the VOOM DVR will be 1394compatible)

MR. C

$1200 for recording HD local programming is NUTS..l0l..imo
good to see there are some home shops sprouting up, But add the abilty to do all Other HD channels and a Guide and you will have to beat customers back with a stick,

MR. C

bnaivar said:
I have always been told that a DVD didn't have the laser bandwidth to record in HD. It's not that the disk won't hold enough information, it's the laser that's the bottleneck. :confused:

You are right. DVD wont do it. If for example you go to nero and burn it as DVD compression. If you did it this way. the 8.5GB disk will hold 4 hours. That is why there is another way to save the file. it will not play in all DVD player. Just like SVCD compared to DVD or jsut regular VCD. From the tuner that this system have will save it in a certain file. just like .mpg .avi. it will have its own extention. So what you do it just drag that video to the DVD and it will record in HD. that is why you will only get 1 hour.

I assume that for Playback these DVDs only will play on the HD360 once burned. Is this correct? I would love to see a demonstration. Is there money back guarantee plan if one does not like the product?

If I read the specs right is uses Blu-ray technology. I've heard that that technology will be going away. Why spend $1300 on technology that's going away??

$1300 is way too pricey for only just OTA HD. No Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)