Fox News Sues Echostar

As I have read on earlier posts on this thread, could this in reality be a ploy to get Dish Network to carry Fox Business Network?

Actually, everyone who has the 200, 250, and AEP are also getting the 100, so that would make the 100 the most widely distributed package. At least, that's likely what they will argue.

Not that I plan on sitting at home and watching it, but why the hell isn't it in the 100 package anyways? All of the others (except for MSNBC) are. And, in my opinion, MSNBC should be there. If DISH would just add MSNBC and SPEED to the 100, it'd become the most widely distributed package in my home. :D I know, we won't see that happening, but still.... ;)

I am sure taht Fox would argue taht the AT 100 is the bargain package and so it doe not contain as many channels of any given type as the higher priced tiers. Fox and MSNBC came along later than CNN and CNN HN as I recall and that is why theya re not included.

That is the DISH argument anyway.

In other words, News Corp wants to shove their lousy News station up my butt and make me pay more for my service to get it?

F NO.

On behalf of their customers, Dish Network should tell News Corp where to stick Fox News. And before anyone gets all mad about me not liking Fox News, I don't like CNN either - they're both a bunch of sensationalist garbage, and CNN has Glenn Beck. UGH. How come guys like him shake their heads so much when they talk? LOL.

I know its going to be hard.. But can we try and keep the thread on the topic of the lawsuit. Everyone has their own opinion about CNN/FNC/MSNBC etc and its just going to clutter the thread up with bashing.

Although if you really want to voice your opinion about your favorite cable news channel, feel free to start a thread in the pit :)

Our local cable co (Adelphia, now Time Warner) used to have CNN and CourtTV as part of the limited basic (broadcast locals) cable (channels 2-25). Times change unfortunately and the terms change, CNN is no longer part of limited basic even though they raised Limited Basic 4 bucks to 17$ a month. I used to have it just for locals, before Dish added our locals to the sats.

FoxNews had a dispute with Sirius Satellite Radio for a while over money too. Once they had a ton of viewers and listeners, the rates changed upward instead of downward.

I do know people who would switch over from Basic Cable to DishFamily or Top100, but 200 or 250 are more expensive than regular analog cable here. As long as that's the case, it is certainly a hard sell, for people who maybe have 60 channels on analog and are paying around 35 a month, they do get FoxNews (and sometimes a few other channels that are not on DishFamily or Top 100 too).

"The most widely available" would be the cheapest package any way you look at it. ...

Except FOX did not say that, rather "the most widely distributed package." Again why after 01/07? If your logic works, the violation should have started from 1998 when they signed the agreement. But FOX did not say that. They apparently knows a logic or two better than some folks here.

I would say more people have the top100 pack,since the top 200 includes every channel in the top 100. Think about it! And then theres the customers that only have the top 100 pack. E* is completely in the wrong ! Bottom line! I see more and more things ever day that E* is trying to screw the customer out of.

In other words, News Corp wants to shove their lousy News station up my butt and make me pay more for my service to get it?

F NO.

On behalf of their customers, Dish Network should tell News Corp where to stick Fox News. And before anyone gets all mad about me not liking Fox News, I don't like CNN either - they're both a bunch of sensationalist garbage, and CNN has Glenn Beck. UGH. How come guys like him shake their heads so much when they talk? LOL.

You are already paying for it bucko. They just want more people to see it.

Why would they? It's not "compelling programming"? :D But infomercial channels, hey let's add 10 more!

Fox Business has great programming. True, they have had infomercials during the off hours but that is becoming less and less every week. Any new non-premium channel starts out with plenty of infomercials.

You put in quotes "widely available" but the relevant phrase is "Widely distributed". Now either could be interpreted to be the lowest tier but they are two different phrases.

fine, replace my "widely available" with "widely distributed" and reread my post. Same result... The most "widely distributed" package would obviously be the 100 package.

Dish knows it is in the wrong. Fox News is more popular than any of the other 100 package news channels.

MSNBC and FNC are in the same tier. CNN is in the Top100.

Since the channel has been in the 2nd tier of programming since at least 2001 (maybe since it was added to Dish), why the lawsuit now, and why only try to recoup money from the first of the year?

You are right about MSNBC.... ditch Headline News or CNN in the top 100 package in favor of Fox News then. Headline News is in the top package I am pretty sure. I used to watch them as a kid in the 80s... what crap now.

As I have read on earlier posts on this thread, could this in reality be a ploy to get Dish Network to carry Fox Business Network?

Whatever it takes to knock that liberal Charlie off his high horse. He has some nerve not adding Fox Business from day 1. He has some nerve for not answering to D* on their HD homerun. My cable company (BHN) has passed Dish in HD now. I totally subscribed Dish HD as a secondary to supplement my HD needs when cable offerend crap. My have the tables turned. Needless to say, BHN carries Fox Business too.

Charlie- take the emotion out of your decisions. Not all your subscribers share your politics.