Freezing smoked picnic

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I've got two 6 lb pork shoulder/picnic going now. Up to 166 degrees now & I just realized I have a decision to make. One we'll eat now, one is for freezing, to be thawed on Easter.

Any reason to chose freezing it whole (a wrapped bundle) over "pulling" it and freezing it as pieces (in a large container)? The latter will of course rid us of the fat cap. But I guess I could pull that off before freezing it whole.

Six one way, half a dozen the other?

Interesting question. Pulled is quicker to prepare when thawed, but would freezing it as it comes off the smoker keep it from freezer burn better? Do you vacuum seal when you freeze? I'm sold on the results of vacuum sealing to preserve freshness.

That's a thought. I have a vacuum sealer, just rarely use it. Gotta see if I've got a large enough bag. Or pull & vacuum seal. Hmmmmmmm.

Pull and vacuum seal should keep very well. I have a bag in the freezer right now I might have to get out this week.

OK. It's only at 183 right now. I'll put it in the fridge when it's done and vacuum seal it tomorrow. Getting late. Too bad I've got to go to work tomorrow.

Yeah, if you have a vacuum sealer, theres no reason not to pull it now.

I would pull it, then vac seal. It will be much easier to reheat that way. It will also take up less room in the freezer.

I would pull it before freezing it too. (Sounds like it's too late though).

It would be A LOT easier to pull shortly after you cook than if you were to thaw/re-heat then try pulling.

Well, the next day I pulled it out of the refrigerator, pulled it and put it in a vacuum bag. Had a lot of trouble with the Compact FoodSaver. After finally getting it to work, sucked and sealed, my wife noted that the seal was no good. Threw it in a ziplock as it was reinflating itself.

If we can't get it working right, might not be a replacement. My wife seems opposed to trying again. And we have a box of bag rolls, containers and a marinator.

We'll serve the pork, the Once and Future Beans and ABTs for Easter. About 2-3 hours after we return from vacation. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)