FSN Pittsburgh - Pixellation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Piratefan98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone besides me had trouble with FSN Pittsburgh tonight (ch. 659). I watched the Penguins game in HD, and it was awfully pixellated. Anyone else?

Jeff

Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone besides me had trouble with FSN Pittsburgh tonight (ch. 659). I watched the Penguins game in HD, and it was awfully pixellated. Anyone else?

Jeff

At times, yes it was badly pixelated, but most of the time it seemed OK, not the best HD broadcast I've seen though. Also when I noticed quick pixelation when the camera's switched, or like the second when coming back from a commercial. I've seen this issue on some HD channels on both dish and direct.

I just got D* installed a few days ago, so I was worried tonight that maybe the weather (windy) or just bad reception was causing the pixelation. So I'm glad you mentioned this, now I know it wasn't just something on our end.
However, this is the 1st HD pens broadcast I've seen on D*, so I can't compare this one to others, and if this is usually an issue.
I can say the HD broadcasts on E* hardly ever had any such issues, so I hope this isn't something that happens often with directv.

Was it pixelated the whole time for you? Like I said, most of the time the picture was OK. During the game I just saw the brief pixelation I mentioned, but I noticed bad pixelation at the end of pregame and start of postgame when it lasted for a minute or two where it was really bad.
The rest of the time, the pixelation was noticeable at times, but minor. I expected better though from a D* sports broadcast.

So can anyone comment if this is normal for D*?

At times, yes it was badly pixelated, but most of the time it seemed OK, not the best HD broadcast I've seen though. Also when I noticed quick pixelation when the camera's switched, or like the second when coming back from a commercial. I've seen this issue on some HD channels on both dish and direct.

I just got D* installed a few days ago, so I was worried tonight that maybe the weather (windy) or just bad reception was causing the pixelation. So I'm glad you mentioned this, now I know it wasn't just something on our end.
However, this is the 1st HD pens broadcast I've seen on D*, so I can't compare this one to others, and if this is usually an issue.
I can say the HD broadcasts on E* hardly ever had any such issues, so I hope this isn't something that happens often with directv.

Was it pixelated the whole time for you? Like I said, most of the time the picture was OK. During the game I just saw the brief pixelation I mentioned, but I noticed bad pixelation at the end of pregame and start of postgame when it lasted for a minute or two where it was really bad.
The rest of the time, the pixelation was noticeable at times, but minor. I expected better though from a D* sports broadcast.

So can anyone comment if this is normal for D*?

Hey Rob, and thanks for the reply.

It was okay during much of the actual game, but in low lighting situations it was pitiful. When they were showing the ice prior to the game, before all of the arena lights finished coming on, it was a pixellated mess. Also, the booth shots were often pixellated. Also, most of the SD commercials looked worse than usual. Some of the instant replays were sloppy too.

I've seen almost every game this year, and these last 2 were really crappy. Up until these two games, the broadcasts have been fine.

Jeff

Hey Rob, and thanks for the reply.

It was okay during much of the actual game, but in low lighting situations it was pitiful. When they were showing the ice prior to the game, before all of the arena lights finished coming on, it was a pixellated mess. Also, the booth shots were often pixellated. Also, most of the SD commercials looked worse than usual. Some of the instant replays were sloppy too.

I've seen almost every game this year, and these last 2 were really crappy. Up until these two games, the broadcasts have been fine.

Jeff

Yup, what you described was pretty much what I noticed as well then.
Must be the feed from FSN, and likely not a dish issue. At least that's what I'll assume.
Got another game today in florida, hopefully its better.

UPDATE:

Todays game is about to start, watching pregame, super awful pixellation. This sucks!
I hope this is happening to E* subs as well, otherwise, I'd be upset @ D* because the pens games are easily the most important HD broadcasts I watch.

It must be the FSN feed though, cuz it went from pregame to commercial, & the commercials are crystal clear.
Just hope most of the game is OK, cuz unlike with E* (the few times the HD signal went bad or out), I don't have an SD alternative since D* has FSN as full time HD.

Pixellation once again last night, it always gets worse at the same times like during pregame, then during the actual game its not as bad, but all FSN pittsburgh games I've watched since getting dish have certainly been less than optimal. They were great on E*.
Is this issue just bad timing for me? Or has this always been an issue with D*? Regardless, I want it to stop! Got pens playoff's coming up, got a lot of baseball games coming up, and it will suck if this isn't fixed real soon.

Pixellation once again last night, it always gets worse at the same times like during pregame, then during the actual game its not as bad, but all FSN pittsburgh games I've watched since getting dish have certainly been less than optimal. They were great on E*.
Is this issue just bad timing for me? Or has this always been an issue with D*? Regardless, I want it to stop! Got pens playoff's coming up, got a lot of baseball games coming up, and it will suck if this isn't fixed real soon.

Last night was another SD game, so it was kind of hard to tell. The Pirates game tonight in HD looks okay so far (i've only watched a few minutes).

Looking forward to the next Pens game in HD, to see if it's fixed. But to answer your question, no it hasn't always been an issue. The channel has looked good for Pens games all year up until the last 3 or 4 games.

Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)