FTA 70's, 80's, 90's

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah, “free” is un-American. “Free” = pinko hippie communism. Subscription EVERYTHING is the American way now.
Pay, pay, pay and pay some more. Pay everyone and pay them frequently, from now to eternity.

Also as stated previously, people are lazy and want instant gratification. No one wants to work to get something free in return.
Also, using the brain causes pain. Twiddling with satellite dishes in the back yard takes away from faceborg time and Candy Crush.

Back in the day, (about 5 years ago) there was Equity and there were a LOT of great FREE channels on FTA. Tons and tons and tons ! It was awesome!
But Equity went boom and died and that really hurt the “hobby” a lot. Mostly I’m into it for PBS, a few news channels on 97, EBRU which is very similar to the BBC in format and content (they also run Doctor Who!)
and the wild feeds.

Another problem is finding quality dishes. MOST of the dishes for sale are flimsy sheet metal from China and they bend and rust easily.
GOOD, high quality dishes like old Primestar, Prodelin and Andrew dishes are pretty hard to find, people covet and hoard them.

C-band dishes are a beast to put up simply because of their size. And they are even harder to find because people scrapped them out by the ton for the past decade or so.
If you can find a brand new one they are cheap, Chinese junk. The price is high and the shipping is outrageous.

You can find them on Craigslist from time to time, sometimes for free, people just want them hauled off or they want a few dollars in scrap value.
The old ones are far better made than the new junk but usually will require and extensive rebuild.
I know because I did exactly that with a 10 foot dish I “inherited” that was in pieces. It took me months to rebuild and repair and repaint it to be like new.
Then you have to dig a very deep hole, like 6 foot deep and put a huge, extremely heavy pole in it and fill it with a ton of cement..

It’s hard, hard work. But you learn how to do something really cool and all your friends will think you are a rocket scientist. :D

IMG_9036.jpg

all satellite tv was originally supposed to be free,paid for by advertising.

I would rather pay for commercial free TV. Like in England. You buy a license to watch TV there.

Oh, wait a minute, but I’m paying $96 a month for America’s Top 250 on Dish Network and it’s all commercials with a few content breaks from time to time where you get to see a little of your program, briefly.

If I am paying for TV by having to suffer the commercials, why am I paying $$ for TV?? So I’m paying TWICE for TV. Brilliant... :mad:

Reactions: Jim S.
Yep, that´s what doesn´t make sense, pay to watch commercials. At least with FTA, I can´t complain when they air commercials.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
all satellite tv was originally supposed to be free,paid for by advertising.
Satellite TV was originally meant for Cable TV operators, not home viewers. Cable was the reason for the scrambling, they threatened to stop carrying programmers if they did not scramble. Case in point, CBN Cable (The Family Channel), they did not really want to scramble with VCII, however, in order to stay on many major MSO's they had to scramble.

Dee_Ann said:
Oh, wait a minute, but I’m paying $96 a month for America’s Top 250 on Dish Network and it’s all commercials with a few content breaks from time to time where you get to see a little of your program, briefly.

If I am paying for TV by having to suffer the commercials, why am I paying $$ for TV?? So I’m paying TWICE for TV. Brilliant... :mad:

Stop paying for it if you hate it so much. No one is forcing you to pay Dish Network.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Stop paying for it if you hate it so much. No one is forcing you to pay Dish Network.
nah she'd rather bitch and whine about it. Its ironic that the ONLY reason she wanted to get Dish was because History got scrambled on FTA. So she bought the 211 I had and set it up but then went with AT250+HD at alacarte rates because she wanted no contract. Then a couple months ago (I think it was while I was on sabbatical) that she complained that she couldnt get the HD for life for $99 or whatever the promo was. Funny thing....if Dee did the 2 year agreement at startup she only had like 2 months left of her contract and she would have saved $240 during the contract and $10 after that

I would rather pay for commercial free TV. Like in England. You buy a license to watch TV there.

Regarding the UK. The only commercial free net is BBC and it's subchannels BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, Cbeebies etc... ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and their subchannels all have commercials.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Dee_Ann
My FTA reasons? Enough programming available that in my limited TV viewing time, I get plenty of choice, banking it up with a hard drive as most FTA'ers do now.
I was a salesman of big-dish in the 80's (Birdview) and sold the "best" so, I got brought into the magic of picking up a signal from 23000 miles out and enjoying non-scrambled free channels. I got bit by "the bug" and revived my love of this about 5 years ago, modernizing my dishes to do FTA. I guess "independence" from subscriptions also

I don't spend much time in front of the set, but I DO love the quality delivered by many networks in FTA, compared to their overly-compressed versions on local OTA (though some OTA for me looks darn nice in our area.) I've even bumped into people who have never HEARD of OTA sub-channels while subscribing to cable or small-dish systems! It's eye opening to them to see what a good antenna will bring! Even better when some of those services are viewed via FTA in perfect quality.

Why is it not a household word/name? We live in a country where it's easy to call and get hundreds of channels via other means.
I have spread the FTA word among friends and radio listeners, but have only seen a couple "geeky" friends start in it! I hope more will, and I encourage it!

FTA is, for the most part a hobby, and a very rewarding one for those of us who enjoy investing some money and time, and trading that for pride
in receiving excellent quality feeds and channels our "local' systems won't carry.

It's rewarding for me to "find" the elusive feeds...and just a great hobby. The "hunt" so to speak.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)