Status
Please reply by conversation.

chc59

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 31, 2007
Dalton, Ohio
Tried to watch FTA games yesterday on my Sonicview 8000HD but had continuous breakup/stuttering. Very similar to wrong codec or slow pc on DVB PCI card program. However, no problem viewing same on my pc with Twinhan and DVBDream. Have used 8000HD on other FTA signals with no problem. Curious to know what is different about the CBS signals. Appreciate your input.
Joe

No Problem on Coolsat 8000

I had no problem with my Coolsat. Did you try all of the different games? Some were H polarity; some V. It sounds like you might need to bump your dish a little.

Go to the CBS network feeds and try moving the dish a little in each direction to see how the feeds come in.

All feeds, both H and V. Peaked dish position. Even tried a skew adjustment. Signal was peaked. As I said, Twinhan card worked great. Last night, early ESPN game was passable and late game was unwatchable. Signal quality was just ok but lockable on early game. On late game, quality was very low, barely lockable. Did notice that the Quality number was bouncing around a lot. Again, twinhan was great. Starting to think that the sonicview tuner might be at fault, or maybe the diseqc switch. No problems on any other receivers using the same c band lnb.
Joe

No Problems with HD signals on the same satellite?

If you are getting HD reception from the Sonicview on the other C band satellites, then it is not likely the tuner. But, who knows?

It might also be an alignment issue, although there is usually more room for error with C band.

The signal was decidedly weaker on the late game. Why, who knows. I did not notice the quality jumping around on either signal; but I did not check after ilocked in the signal on the second game because I had a picture.

Other experts might chime in with ideas.

I do not know what a "Twinhan card" is.

Last edited:
a Twinhan card is a dvb card... basically it's an fta box on a pc card that you put in your computer.

Reception is through...

the computer? You watch on the computer screen instrad of a TV?

Git it..

The computer becomes the FTA box; you still need a dish and an lnb... this forum is so much friendlier than some of the others!

The computer becomes the FTA box; you still need a dish and an lnb... this forum is so much friendlier than some of the others!

The PCI DVB cards have plenty of advantages, and some disadvantages.

The advantages are that, for less than $75 and usually around $50, you have an instant DVR. You can record any stream that you tune with the card directly to your hard drive, and subsequently burn it to DVD :) PC-based DVB cards can also receive high definition channels, which makes them by far the cheapest HD solution for FTA. As an added bonus, they can even receive 4:2:2-sampled channels, which most set-top boxes can't do.

The main disadvantage is no blind scan. Another disadvantage is that, due to software signal/quality meters not being very responsive, it is very hard to aim a dish using only a PCI DVB card. For these two reasons, it is advisable to have a decent set-top box in addition to the DVB card. You can use the receiver to blind scan and aim your dish, and the DVB card for recording and HD :)

The PCI DVB cards have plenty of advantages, and some disadvantages.

The advantages are that, for less than $75 and usually around $50, you have an instant DVR. You can record any stream that you tune with the card directly to your hard drive, and subsequently burn it to DVD :) PC-based DVB cards can also receive high definition channels, which makes them by far the cheapest HD solution for FTA. As an added bonus, they can even receive 4:2:2-sampled channels, which most set-top boxes can't do.

The main disadvantage is no blind scan. Another disadvantage is that, due to software signal/quality meters not being very responsive, it is very hard to aim a dish using only a PCI DVB card. For these two reasons, it is advisable to have a decent set-top box in addition to the DVB card. You can use the receiver to blind scan and aim your dish, and the DVB card for recording and HD :)

Very well put.... exactly what I do with my setup.:up:up

Make sure you are not trying to record or it will act like that any time that you try to record a high bitrate feed.
The SV8000 hd not being able to record a live hd bitrate feed makes it useless in my opinion.It suppose to be a HD fta pvr yet it want record FTA hi bitrate hd feeds.worthless

The SV8000 hd not being able to record a live hd bitrate feed makes it useless in my opinion.It suppose to be a HD fta pvr yet it want record FTA hi bitrate hd feeds.worthless

No one said it was a great PVR, it has issues but atleast it can playback a network feed, record OTA broadcasts and blindscan. Put it this way, people like us are not ANYONES intended market.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)