FTA networks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jamie9427

Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Harlan (Southeast) Kentucky
I made an impulse buy yesterday on ebay and bought a 30" dish with an omegasat dsb5701 reciever. My question is, am I going to be able to pick up any abc, nbc cbs, etc stations on this thing? Thanks!

I made an impulse buy yesterday on ebay and bought a 30" dish with an omegasat dsb5701 reciever. My question is, am I going to be able to pick up any abc, nbc cbs, etc stations on this thing? Thanks!
You probably should have ask questions here before buying, but other than that welcome. First you need to go to the "The List" here and see what channels are listed that your interested in getting and then I'd go to Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and put in your data and it'll help tell you what your dish size should be for you to be able to get the needed satellite.
As far as network stations go there are some but most are NBC stations, one CBS out west KBOI (KEPR) depending on the feed, but they are on Cband side and would take a much larger size dish, at least 6' to start with. Your dish is most like build for KU only.

Last edited:
thanks

thanks to your reply. I had checked out the channel list before buying but I see different channel lists all over the place. Like I said I bought it mainly just to check out whats up there. Looks like there is a few NBC feeds on AMC 1. I really just wanted to try this out for the basement so this should work out pretty well I hope.

Knowing what I know now,I wouldn't by anything less than a HD box.You can get HD programming without having a HD TV.
Also having AC3 audio is almost a must now.
I'm sure there are alot of channels out there,but your choices would have been expanded if you got the right equipment.

thanks to your reply. I had checked out the channel list before buying but I see different channel lists all over the place. Like I said I bought it mainly just to check out whats up there. Looks like there is a few NBC feeds on AMC 1. I really just wanted to try this out for the basement so this should work out pretty well I hope.

Another good list that I like to use is from http://www.global-cm.net. You'll find that any list will be questionable as things just come and go when viewing FTA. There's a lot more programming that can be view using older receivers on the C band side if money is an issue. Myself I have 6 receivers that I still use that are not ac3 so depending on what your wanting to watch you can get by with what you have. Your biggest problem will be your dish size, a good solution would be purchase a second larger dish which would allow you to pick up the C Band channels and have the other just for KU. And all you'd need would be a to install a switch at the dishes which would result in needing only one cable or you could run two cables from the dishes and a switch inside the house.

Last edited:
thats a very interesting idea. I didnt realize you could do that. Like I said, I kind of just bought this one as a hobby. I may invest in a larger dish this summer and see whats up there!

As an example I have a C band dish setup on 107.3° W (Anik F1R) for the CTV station from Halifax and with the use of a 4x1 Diseqc switch have a KU LNB's on a Prolelin dishes for 83°W for 3 other channels all going into one Geosatpro receiver which is outputted to channel 22.

:confused: :( I could have sworn that I was the first one to respond to this thread today! Where is my response? :confused: :eek:

I' found a list on
lyngsat.com that had quite a few good channels on galaxy 3c. Are those channels still up there? Im trying to prepare myself for which satellite Im going to aim my dish at since it's not motorized. I wish I had have sprang for the larger dish now that Ive gotten into this more.

lyngsat.com that had quite a few good channels on galaxy 3c.
On the left side is the Transponder Frequency...........
4 Digits is C-Band = Big Dish, 6 foot plus in size.
5 Digits is Ku-Band = What you ordered.

Keep in mind that not all those channels are available.
Scroll down to the bottom of the Lyngsat Page, learn the Color Code for you you can get: Digital Clear & HD Clear.

There is a handful of PBS on 125w and last I checked there are some NBC feeds on 72w that can be received with a Ku setup. 97w has Al Jazeera and RT news among others.

...quite a few good channels on galaxy 3c...
I suspect you were referring to C-band. But there is CCTV Documentary in English or with English subtitles that has a lot of Asian history documentaries. Also CCTV News (in English, French and Spanish) has the Chinese perspective on what's happening. Sometimes there are nice nature segments too. I don't think I'd want a fixed dish for this, but with a motor it's a nice stop along the Ku arc, and strong transponders too.

I' found a list on
lyngsat.com that had quite a few good channels on galaxy 3c. Are those channels still up there? Im trying to prepare myself for which satellite Im going to aim my dish at since it's not motorized. I wish I had have sprang for the larger dish now that Ive gotten into this more.

Going fixed KU dish is going to be very lmiting. Should note this is a hobby and for most not a primary TV source. If you want the full benefit of this hobby, best to invest in a motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts