'Fun Food' with the kids!

vampz26

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Chicago
Just thought this was worth posting just to see what other ideas come our way... :)

I picked up my young daughter tonight for our weekend and we were debating the classic question in this forum, "whats for dinner". ;) Well here is what we did...

We went to the deli in the grocery store, and picked up a quarter pound each of ham, roast beef, turkey, provelone, swiss, american cheese, salami, and even some pepperoni! Got some shredded romaine lettuce and some veggies...threw in a french bread for good measure and had a "make your own sandwich" night. She LOVED it! (she made me a sandwich too!)

My kids like to make pigs in a blanket. Also another really fun easy thing for them is make your own pizza night. We do the pizza night a couple time a month and we let them make their own personal size pizza.

My kids like to make pigs in a blanket. Also another really fun easy thing for them is make your own pizza night. We do the pizza night a couple time a month and we let them make their own personal size pizza.

Hey! Now THAT'S a great idea!

My daughter is kind of boring when it comes to pizza. Only likes cheese. But it wouldn't stop her from from getting creative when it comes thinking up things she wants me to eat on a pizza. lol. :D

try this.
Take a hot dog and slit one end into 8th after it is cooked. Take one ramon noodle bag after it is cooked and add green food coloring. Put the green noodles (seaweed) on the bottom, then the "octopus" on top of that. You can add steamed broccoli for "coral" as a healthy addition or add orange or purple cauliflower(if available in the store near you) as "coral"

I made these for a Football Party, but I'd imagine kids would enjoy making/eating them too.

Slider hamburgers on Hawaiian rolls. You can get creative with a toppings to construct your own personalized burger.

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 230
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 222
We used to have DIY tacos / burritos / taco salads / "Mystery Mexican" fairly often. We'd cook-up some burger with taco sauce then place all the rest of the fixin's on the counter, comprising shells (soft and hard), diced tomatos, diced onion, shredded cheese (several types), shredded lettuce, black olives, 'shrooms (yes, even on "Mexican"!), picata, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and seasonings. Amazing how little was left!

(Now that I'm an empty nester for the most part, almost every meal is DIY and something like the above is too ambitious and creates too much leftovers...sigh...!)

I made these for a Football Party, but I'd imagine kids would enjoy making/eating them too.

Slider hamburgers on Hawaiian rolls. You can get creative with a toppings to construct your own personalized burger.

My daughter and I did the 'build-a-burger' thing yesterday. She enjoyed her dinner a lot, but stopped with a sprinkle of garlic salt and ketchup...oh well...:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)