G15 troubles

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The Galaxy 15 signals are now gone. It's hard to tell if they were successful in disabling the communications payload. But based on the number of duplicate Galaxy 13 muxes showing up on various satellites, I guess they weren't successful.

The Galaxy 15 signals are now gone. It's hard to tell if they were successful in disabling the communications payload. But based on the number of duplicate Galaxy 13 muxes showing up on various satellites, I guess they weren't successful.

Time for more Zombiesat Fun :D

But they still hope it will wake up.

"Is there any remote possibility that full functionality of Galaxy 15 could be regained?

* There is a remote possibility if the satellite’s Baseband Equipment (BBE) command unit, designed to re-start following complete loss of its power supply, reboots.
* Engineers will be able to determine if the BBE has powered up through commands sent that look for telemetry responses.
* It may take up to several days, possibly weeks, after Galaxy 15 permanently off-points before the BBE unit restarts and Galaxy 15 control is regained, if it happens at all.

Does Intelsat anticipate recovering Galaxy 15?

* There is a remote possibility that full functionality of Galaxy 15 could be regained.
* If the BBE returns to normal operations, we would expect to relocate the satellite to an Intelsat orbital location were we would assess the viability of the payload, and conduct extensive in-orbit testing to determine the functionality of every aspect
of the spacecraft."

That would be pretty cool, after all of this, that the spacecraft could possibly be fully functional again!

Galaxy 15 Returns To Life

Dont know if anyone else has posted this info but here it is...

"The American telecommunications satellite Galaxy 15 has been brought under control after spending most of the year traversing the sky and wreaking havoc upon its neighbors. The satellite is currently at 98.5 degrees west longitude (from 133 west). An emergency patch was successfully uploaded, ensuring that the conditions which caused it to 'go rogue' will not occur again. Once diagnosis and testing have been completed, Intelsat plans to move the satellite back to 133 west."

"The American telecommunications satellite Galaxy 15 has been brought under control after spending most of the year traversing the sky. Intelsat plans to move the satellite back to 133 west."

That is good news, nothing better than extra capacity up there, might make room for some FTA on other sats.

I can't believe it woke up finally.

Was "safe mode" supposed to take this long? I can't imagine that's what it was supposed to do like all the news outlets are saying. Sounds to me like Orbital is playing "safe face" with "safe mode."

I can't believe it woke up finally.

Was "safe mode" supposed to take this long? I can't imagine that's what it was supposed to do like all the news outlets are saying. Sounds to me like Orbital is playing "safe face" with "safe mode."

it must be running a microsoft OS. haha.

crackt out,.

"The American telecommunications satellite Galaxy 15 has been brought under control after spending most of the year traversing the sky and wreaking havoc upon its neighbors.

There must have been some hooting and hollering in the control room when that satellite answered back for the first time all summer. Kinda like landing on the moon when you rescue a multi-million dollar satellite thought to be dead.

Ok I tried to hold back the Star Wars reference but I couldnt so here goes...

"That signal came from G15! That things operational!"

Its just answering commands now, and the threat is gone to the other satellites in the arc. Once they stablize the orbit and get it parked in station keeping and test the payload then they will truly know what condition the bird is in. You have to remember that they bombarded that satellite with higher than normal uplink microwave signals several times to try to burn out the C band payload and shut it down so who knows what damage that might have caused to the uplink side of the payload package.

Galaxy 15

Intelsat: Galaxy 15 to be Operational by February
January 14, 2011 | Satellite Today | Jeffrey Hill
AAA Text SizeEmail Print Archives Copyright Twitter
[Satellite TODAY 01-14-11] Intelsat has reestablished full functionality and control over Galaxy 15, which stopped responding to ground controllers when its telemetry and commanding subsystems suffered an anomaly in April, Intelsat announced Jan. 13.
Galaxy 15 currently resides at 93 West, where it will undergo additional testing and then be moved to either 133 West or 129 West, depending on demand for services. Intelsat expects to complete testing by Jan. 31 and return Galaxy 15 to commercial operation.
Intelsat said employees invested thousands of hours in recovering the satellite, the total cost of the operation was less than $1 million. Galaxy 15 was launched in October 2005 and is expected to remain in service until 2022.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)