Gamma Testers?

elder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 17, 2007
Are we gamma testers or is the system for techies only? I don't mean to be critical as I love the system and can't imagine doing without it. That being said, it's a bit too quirky for me to recommend it across the board. I will list the issues that elderly run-of-the mill citizens can't deal with (issues that other satellite systems don't have). The reason I say gamma testers is that I have hope that solutions may come in the future.

1. Time issues. Auto Adjust is off and Manual Adjust has to be corrected every day or so.
2. Power outage and return turns unit on and resets time to Dec 30, 2007, All Channel list and Auto Time Adjust.
3. Timers when completed leave the receiver on the All Channel list and sometimes the remote doesn't work without an off/on or some other exercise other than the chosen function.
4. Timers having to be set for slight overrun to make up for time errors and USB check.
5. All channels are there some of the time and some channels are there all of the time, but all channels are not there all of the time and most users would not be willing to try LO tuning and etc.
6. Antenna stability and LNBF positioning issues.
7. Hard drive selection critical.
8. Run-of-the mill users wouldn't participate in this forum.

I don't know. I installed a Glorystar system for my in-laws over the holidays and they are about the least technical people there are (although my father in-law can tweak the dish if needed) but they have had no troubles and haven't called me yet with any problems. It's really been plug and play. They don't have the DVR though, that would be way more then they could handle (they can barely use a VCR). A DVR just isn't for them.

It was fun "training" them on the system though. At the same time I installed their digital OTA converter box and had to train them on that as well. So far they're doing ok. :)

An Open Letter to Elder:

The last 7 months have been a steep learning curve for your introduction to FTA. You approached the purchase of Glorystar Christian satellite service as an equipment choice rather than as most customers who are purchasing purely based on the programming content.

Many of the Satellite Guys have participated in helping you transition from the Dish Network based, Sky Angel to the world of FTA. FTA reception has traditionally been a hobby that only a few in North America have braved due to the lack of information and usual need to understand the basics of satellite technology in order to install a FSS system. What is azimuth, elevation, skew, orbital slots, c-band, ku-band, active transponders, linear polarity, horizontal, vertical, circular left, circular right, 76cm, 90cm, offset, prime focus, line of sight, megahertz, gigaherz, RG59, RG6, standard, universal, DiSEqC, 22KHz, USALS, symbol rate, blind scan, power scan, transponder scan, direct PID entry, etc., etc., etc.

Glorystar is an industry leader and has developed technology and instructions to remove the majority of technical obstacles that could have defeated your abilty and / or interest to install and operate a satellite system to receive Free To Air. Our combined companies have sold over 100,000 FTA systems in the past few years and it has been the rare occasion that have I hear a buyer express any negatives of our efforts to provide a superior free Christian satellite service and products. The majority of purchasers are middle age to senior and most have no issues with the operation of FTA equipment. Traditionaly, one percent of Glorystar customers have a purchased a DVR. We see this trend changing and this is why the majority of our development is into DVRs.

You present yourself as a techie guy in a technical forum and we have provided you advanced information, theory and behind the scenes insight in response your questions. This advanced information is shared in a hobbyist forum and would not be provided to a regular Glorystar viewer. We understood that you were wanting to not only be a Glorystar viewer, but were also a satellite hobbyist wishing to learn, share and help others enjoy the hobby of FTA. As an advanced user, owning and installing your first Free to Air system we value your input.

In reviewing many of your past posts, I understand that dish has not not properly installed and may be the cause of the undesirable movement and signal issues. The channel locking issues may be also related to a receiver defect, which has not yet been sent for testing. We have a choice to either repeatedly post about the issue or take steps to correct the situation.

Are we gamma testers or is the system for techies only? I don't mean to be critical as I love the system and can't imagine doing without it. That being said, it's a bit too quirky for me to recommend it across the board. I will list the issues that elderly run-of-the mill citizens can't deal with (issues that other satellite systems don't have). The reason I say gamma testers is that I have hope that solutions may come in the future.

1. Time issues. Auto Adjust is off and Manual Adjust has to be corrected every day or so.

As you are probably aware, manual time settings are rarely accurate on any FTA receiver and most viewers never use the feature (witness all the flash 12:00 displays for the past 20 years on VCRs). I would never run the DVR1100c or the DSR100c in Manual Time mode. Manual time mode relies on the stability of your AC source.

All Glorystar Christian broadcast partners select and contract with their own uplink provider. Most uplinker time settings are hours if not days off and never in sync with UTC or each other. This makes time functions like DVR recording nearly impossible with FTA. Glorystar has developed a unique method of forcing the receiver to ignore the various incorrect times transmitted by each transponder and instead refer to the time generated by our uplinker. We are aware of the often incorrect time provided by our uplinker. Our uplink partner has been working with the encoder manufacturer to correct the UTC time sync issue. We have been assured that a correction will be implemented soon, but until then we ask for your patience! Until the issue is resolved, keep the clock on auto and start the recording a few minutes early.

2. Power outage and return turns unit on and resets time to Dec 30, 2007, All Channel list and Auto Time Adjust.
Power outages take most STBs out of the stand-by mode into operate. This will proably always stay this way. We are modifying the unit to reboot to Glorystar Channel 1 and sync time at each reboot. We are working to retain the Favorites List selection through a power outage. We have found that most viewers do not use the Favorites Lists, so this issue has been a low priority. Until a fix can be implemented, may we suggest that the favorites list function be used in the ALL CHANNELS mode with the understanding of the limitations if you set up a favorites lists.

3. Timers when completed leave the receiver on the All Channel list and sometimes the remote doesn't work without an off/on or some other exercise other than the chosen function.

Timers developed by this manufacturer only function in the ALL CHANNEL mode. This is related to the Favorites List management. Favorites are sorting methods for managing channels contained in the ALL CHANNEL list. In setting up a timer, the channel to be recorded is selected from the ALL CHANNEL list, so when a recording is completed, it is simply returning to the list associated with the recording function. We are working with the manufcturer to implement a return to previous FAV selection, but this is pushing the envelope of the design....

We are unaware of any remote control issues. We have found that often the unit is in a playback, Time Machine shift, or record mode and the viewer forgets to catch up to real time or stop the record before selecting another mode of operation. Since you have never shared your remote experiences, we are unable to suggest a resolution.
4. Timers having to be set for slight overrun to make up for time errors and USB check.

As discussed in a prior thread, you are now having acceptable record USB starts with a proper drive instead of the flash drive. I often miss the start or ending on my TiVo. Programs don't always start or end at the exact time. If the program is important, I have always started any recording device early and extended past the expected stop time. Is this not normal procedure for us who record?

5. All channels are there some of the time and some channels are there all of the time, but all channels are not there all of the time and most users would not be willing to try LO tuning and etc.

Several members have made suggestions for a possible fix. Until the dish mount can be stabilized properly or the receiver sent in for bench testing, you may be just optimizing a compromised signal. Additional causes are caused by a customer using existing coax cabling or even local terrestrial RF interference. A local microwave source might be swamping the receiver's front end. You might find that relocating the dish might also solve this issue. This situation is certainly unique.

6. Antenna stability and LNBF positioning issues.

The dish appears not to have been anchored correctly and movement in the post plumb will require adjustment in the LNBF skew. Remember, you are exposed to a few customers here in the forum. We speak with hundreds of customers a day. I assure you that this is not such an issue as you perceive. Most install and aim once then walk away and enjoy.

7. Hard drive selection critical.

We have recommended twospecific drives on the Glorystar website that have been tested by our staff. This has been done to prevent customer frustration in testing and formatting. Several other compatible models have been verified on this and other sites. Most DVR units have specific drive requirements. You will find that Dish Network and most DTH DVRs also have recommended drives listed on their sites. We are considering offering a DVR package including a drive, but carefully choosing a model with superior customer support and liberal warranty program.

8. Run-of-the mill users wouldn't participate in this forum.

We agree. Most customers are not advanced hobbyist and in the unit exceeds the needs of this majority. The majority of viewers would never have the need to obtain or provide assistance through SatelliteGuys, or even be interested!

Glorystar exists to be a ministry support partner for Christian Broadcasters, assist viewers to receive the free Christian channels, and reveal the love and saving grace of Jesus Christ to North America and Asia through the growing satellite ministry!

This is my challenge and your call to action.....

If Free To Air is for you and you are interested in supporting the Glorystar vision of subscription-free Christian channels throughout North America, we invite you to continue to help us develop the experience so people wont be distracted away from the Word by unfriendly technology!

Maybe Free to Air isn't for you. If you are ever not happy with your decision to install Glorystar or distracted by the technology, please give me a call and I will arrange for a return the equipment. We are a Christian company based on principals and integrity. I would rather have you happy with another source of Christian and faith based programming then disappointed with your Glorystar experience!

Last edited:
Brian,

I know I annoy you with my posts, but I would like to know if anyone else has these crazy problems. I played with LO tuning for over an hour this morning and never was able to get all G25 channels with a single setting. The testing was not even vaguely consistent with last week's testing so I have nothing to report of use to you. This is the third LNBF in the G25 position.

The reason I won't return my system is that I don't want to be without it even though it can be a bit contrary and unpredictable. The antenna mount is OK now with rv1pop's machine screw suggestion, though I may go for a post mount so that it can be closer to the ground for access to the LNBFs. I have only one slot through the trees to the satellite angle so I can't do a total relocation.

I am a retired engineer and worked with the first ever K band TV program transmission via ATS-6, but you are right I have trouble with some of the FTA terminology especially regarding scanning and the manual didn't describe it very well. That being said, I now know that my biggest scanning problem was that the channels I was seeking were not coming in due to my crazy problems (that is, I was scanning for a channel that the DVR couldn't find). That is why I suggested a "loaner" to help resolve crazy problems. I wouldn't say I was on a steep learning curve I have just experienced a number of problems to which at times you seem a bit sensitive.

I did post regarding my remote problem and though it was never resolved (you wanted me to mail it in) I determined and posted my best guess as to what the problem was and that it was not the remote itself and that a soft boot (rear panel off/on) would restore operation, I still do this whenever the remote doesn't evoke the proper DVR response, and it might just help someone else unless I have the only DVR that freezes on occasion.

In all fairness, none of the Glorystar ads say techies only, my concern is if I recommend it to ordinary citizens they will be disappointed unless it is plug and go. I am not trying to start a flame war, but am trying to help and be helped with my observations. It was I who alerted you and VideoReDo about the TS problem and sent them files to help them work with you to resolve it. I am sorry you seemingly think me to be a thorn in the flesh rather than being helpful.

In closing I still think my post about using a refurbished unit as a "loaner" to be a good suggestion.

Last edited:
We understand your frustration, but repetitive posting without taking steps to correct a situation does not resolve the issue.

Glorystar is as Plug-n-Play as FTA gets. The average customer takes about 4 or 5 hours to self install and then simply turns the receiver on and off and changes channels.

Glorystar customers don't adjust the LO frequency to bring in channels. This is just an advanced technique that we provided to you on a tech forum to help us trouble shoot if the LNBF LO was at fault.

If the free replacement LNBF that we provided did not correct the problem, then the next resolution step would be to send in the receiver. My only sensitivity is due to the fact that you continue to suggest that the receiver is faulty, yet it is not sent in under warranty for testing. If the unit is faulty, it will be repaired or replaced under warranty.

In conclusion, may I suggest that you perform manual firmware update then a factory reset. Activate in the Glorystar mode, making sure that the Signal Quality readings are above 50% on all channels. Do not enter the menus and leave all settings in automatic. Do not change any menu settings. Observe how the unit performs. If timers do not function or channels do not come in, please drop me an email or give me a call.

Your input is valuable. Thank you for taking the time to care and share!

Some one else posted this and it solves the ONLY problem I have with the remote --- which sounds like the same one elder is describing: In plain english: hit the remote's dvr stop button first - after any record or playback excercise. The DRV function then stops and the unit becomes a standard STB. Otherwise frustration reigns over me like a cloud of demons --- until I HIT THE STOP BUTTON !

Some one else posted this and it solves the ONLY problem I have with the remote --- which sounds like the same one elder is describing: In plain english: hit the remote's dvr stop button first - after any record or playback excercise. The DRV function then stops and the unit becomes a standard STB. Otherwise frustration reigns over me like a cloud of demons --- until I HIT THE STOP BUTTON !
Thanks for your input. So far it seems to prevent my problem. I always just leave the DVR-1100c on overnight if I have set a timer. Now my first operation in the morning is to hit DVR stop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)