General contractor wondering how installer prefers wiring ruff in

Jason2746

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
I have a communication panel in the maintainance room which is located in the middle of the house it is unfinished in the basement would you prefer running your wire all the way to the dish or have a weather proof box on the outside wall to do your terminations in

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Inside.

I should have been clearer. I prefer all wiring and connections to be inside if possible. And the coax to come out on the roof where the dish will be. Of course, as a contractor you might not know where that is. Plan B would be a large loop of coax in the attic.

As long as there is easy access to that panel from the outside I wouldn't care. If it would be hard to get cable to the panel when everything is finished then I would run some cables to the outside. If it were me, I'd run 4 cables to the outside.

He wants his dish mounted to a pole

I'm beginning to favor your outside box idea. Ready for an underground run to the pole.

Yes I should have mentioned that to start with one more question is one rg6 to each tv all dish needs now with hopper and super joeys

Yes I should have mentioned that to start with one more question is one rg6 to each tv all dish needs now with hopper and super joeys

Yes, and 3 from the dish to node/integrator.

I would run 3 lines from outside to the home distribution area, and a line from there to each room. Hoppers require 3ghz cable and super joeys require 2100mhz. Ideally, just use 3ghz everywhere.

Where will the node/integrator be located

what the installers prefer vs. what the quality control guys want to see vary widely

that being said, run 4 3gz lines from a large outside box near a ground source to the dist box (5 if using OTA)

run 2 lines to the hopper locations if using ota

don't worry about connectors, the tech will/should replace them anyway

Another vote for the outside box near a ground. 4 lines from here to the junction area and all cables RG6 3GHz or better. 3 for the maximum install. 1 in case of a failure. Probably will never need it but so cheap, take the precaution.

I would run 2 cables to each location you want TV. I would also run 4 cables to a box outside. The reason for 4 cables is to have 3 for the dish and an extra for an antenna. The reason for 2 cables to each TV location is because it makes it so much easier if you want to mirror the video from any Hopper or Joey. The extra cable would also allow you to run antenna to all locations.

I know it may sound like overkill but you'll be glad you did it. Cable is not that expensive. Much cheaper than trying to route cables through finished walls and buying wireless transmitters.

one line from each room pulled to outside.. does not need to be in a box, leave at least 18'' of cable outside of house.. Make sure it is rg6, swept to 3gz.. Dual shield wire.. If i pull up to a house and its done like this it makes my job Very easy..

Last edited:
Yes I agree with Scherrman... run 2 cables to each TV location RG6 3Ghz rated. Run 4 cables to the satellite mounting location to the demarc or junction box along with a power hookup in that box just in case of a switch needing to go in there or something else, ya never know. The extra cables to me are good just in case cause cable can fail even new cable right in the middle of a run. As for the main question, certainly have everything run inside to avoid any possible issues with temp variations and water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)