Genie DVR... 5 tuners, but it still changes my channel?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cornflakes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2005
Can someone please explain this to me?

I have the Genie DVR. I have 3 client boxes. I was watching live TV on one of the clients, with the other clients and DVR "off". But the client told me it had to change the channel in a few minutes to record a show, even though at that moment, I only have one or two shows scheduled to record, so I should have plenty of tuners available to still continue watching my live show while the DVR records the other show?

Why does this happen? Can someone help?

Unless you are recording 5 things at once you should not see that message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if (for example) some of your 9pm or 9:30pm ET recordings have overage by a minute or two, going into the 10pm ET hour and giving you more timers running from 10pm to 10:01-10:02pm than you think you have.

I wonder if (for example) some of your 9pm or 9:30pm ET recordings have overage by a minute or two, going into the 10pm ET hour and giving you more timers running from 10pm to 10:01-10:02pm than you think you have.

If he had 2 shows recording wouldn't he still have 2 tuners open before he'd lose the tuner the client is using?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've seen this happen on my Genie and I have no clients

but here is a thought
3 clients...even if off (standby) do they buffer a program

recording 2 shows and now wants a 3rd. The Genie "thinks" that 5 tuners are being used right now (2 recording and 3 on the clients) so it tries to force you to change channels so it can record the 3rd program

Again I have only a HR34/Genie so I'm just shooting in the dark

an addition to my post above
I dont see this issue anymore but once in a while it would say "needs to change to _____ to record _____" even though I was under the 5 tuners. I may be recording 2 things and have 2 recordings go at another time. But that left one tuner open

Sometimes on the Hr24 it seems like there're conflicts where one way to solve the conflict, is to cancel a recording that doesn't even start until after the show that created the conflict is over.

What's that show have to do with anything

Yes I'm pretty sure there were no more than 2 shows that were being recorded at that moment, even considering that there might be a previous show that's being recorded and ending late.

Of the 3 Genie clients, 1 of them was actually physically off, the other two were on standby. Maybe they were buffering channels, I don't know.

This sorta reminds me of how Dish Network's Duo DVRs worked... The DVR would assign shows to be recorded on one of the two tuners (in Duo mode), and if you're watching a show on that tuner/room that's assigned to record a show, then you're going to have to watch the show about to be recorded even though the other tuner's free.

I had the same issue tonight. I only have one Genie client and 2 shows were recording when the third came on. I had hoped I would have this issue. I will reboot when I'm not recording to see if it helps.

my HR34 does this sometimes too. And in the last 2 days it has completely froze up and required resetting. I haven't received the newest software update, hoping that helps

my HR34 does this sometimes too. And in the last 2 days it has completely froze up and required resetting. I haven't received the newest software update, hoping that helps

your HR34 will need occasional rebooting when it crawls to a snails pace or freezes. I know it probably isn't Windows-based but it certainly has been acting like that to me this month. my HR34 slows down to an excruciating slow response and then after a reboot of it, it's back to being as quick as normal, just like my Windows PC! ;)

Back to OP, does cornflakes get the tuner configuration screen when trying to watch something live and all five tuners are being used? That may help figure out what is going on when he/she can see all five tuner activity to see what tuners are tied up recording and what tuners are tuned to live programming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)