Genie tuners

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tpinck

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Directv claims that you can record 5 shows simultaneous with the genie DVR. Dish claims it can record 6 shows but further research shows that the Hopper only has 3 tuners so if it is not prime time (or something like that) you can only record 3. How many tuners does the genie actually have and if you want to record 5 shows that some are not from the big 4 and not prime time can you.

I am currently subscribe to dish and have been for the past 7 years ( we live fulltime in our rv), loss of AAD has really impacted my DVR recording scheduling. I have the VIP-722 DVR which only has 2 tuners. One thing I have not thought of is I also have 2 OTA tuners also. Maybe if I put the OTA antenna up and tuned in the locals I could record 2 programs using OTA and 2 using sat. Have to look into this.

Anyway I am thinking of switching to Directv so I can get DNS back. It would be nice to know about the tuners in the genie, does it really have 5 tuners or are they doing something like Dish's 6 shows at once?

genie has 5 tuners
it also integrates with other directv dvrs, such as the hr24

like the hopper, a genie client will use a tuner from the mother box reducing available tuners for recording
i recomend getting the genie and a minimum hd boxes in other rooms, or dvr boxes if you can afford it

Thanks for the info. We only have one TV so that would not be a problem. Our next difficulty is the dish is on a tripod, not sure if Directv will do the same.

As long as the tripod is well footed, it should be okay. Does it have a 2" mast on it? That is necessary for a Slimline dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.