Getting a PS4, what should my first game be?

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
Hi guys,

I have officially ordered a ps4, but I'm not sure what game I should get first. I like shooters, rpg, just about anything, but what is the best games out?

I second Killzone if you want a little story to go with your shooter. You aren't going to get The Last of Us style storytelling out of it but there is certainly more there than the Call of Duty Ghosts or Battlefield 4 campaign. If you are a fan of those series' online play you will probably feel right at home in the PS4 versions. I own all 3 of those games. I have spent quite a bit of time with them online and they are all different experiences but fun in their own way. Your personal tastes would dictate which one you would like best. I would choose Killzone for single player campaign by a landslide and then probably Battlefield 4 for online multiplayer but that one is by a closer margin. You should be aware that Battlefield has some glitches in it's online play if that really turns you off.

The game I have actually spent the most time with on my PS4 is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. That's a little strange because I wasn't really a fan of the earlier games in the series but I liked this one a lot. If you want to read my much more in depth thoughts on it you can read this post.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...tellite-Guy-s-gamers-at?p=3370342#post3370342

I'm going to assume you have PS Plus because you need it for online multiplayer on the PS4. If you do have it be sure to download your free copies of Resogun and Dead Nation. These are smaller games but I actually played Resogun long enough to get the platinum trophy so you might like them. Make sure you check the online store and "purchase" all the free games at least once a month even if you don't think you will ever play them. You don't have to actually download them but once you "purchase" them they will be tied to your account even after Sony changes the list of free games out on the online store each month. Outlast and Don't Starve just got pulled down so you already missed out on those freebies.
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES

There are also a couple free-to-play shooters that are both pretty well received. Warframe is a third person co-op shooter where the combat looks kind of like Mass Effect. Blacklight Retribution is more of a standard, online versus shooter. You can get into both of these for free. I haven't spent any time with either of them but I have them both downloaded. The free-to-play model turns me off a little but lots of people love it.

Edit: I forgot to mention inFamous Second Son is only a couple weeks away at this point. This is the big exclusive most PS4 gamers are waiting for. The reviews aren't out yet so this could end up being a big disappointment but the general buzz seems to be positive so far.

Thanks for the advice King. I really enjoy campaigns so I guess I will go with Killzone. Ive played the previous games and have enjoyed them. I was also thinking about Assassin's Creed, I have actually never played any of them. Have you tried Need For Speed? I was a fan of these games about 5-10 years ago but haven't played any in awhile and I didn't know how this one was.

Thanks for the advice King. I really enjoy campaigns so I guess I will go with Killzone. Ive played the previous games and have enjoyed them. I was also thinking about Assassin's Creed, I have actually never played any of them. Have you tried Need For Speed? I was a fan of these games about 5-10 years ago but haven't played any in awhile and I didn't know how this one was.

I didn't play Need for Speed because I'm not really in to driving games. I'm not good at them and I would usually rather play other genres. I have heard people say they like it but I don't have any personal experience. One thing to consider if you want to try a lot of games without breaking the bank is a gamefly subscription. Me and Yourbeliefs both get most of our console games through them. $15 per month can sound steep for a by mail rental service when Netflix is $9.99. It's helping me save a lot of money versus buying a couple new releases at $60 a piece every month though. You don't own anything in the end but outside of multiplayer games I typically beat them and then move on anyways. There are very few that I really want to go back and play several times so renting works well for me. I know I'm playing more of the games I want to try now than I ever did when I was actually buying everything I want to play.

I didn't play Need for Speed because I'm not really in to driving games. I'm not good at them and I would usually rather play other genres. I have heard people say they like it but I don't have any personal experience. One thing to consider if you want to try a lot of games without breaking the bank is a gamefly subscription. Me and Yourbeliefs both get most of our console games through them. $15 per month can sound steep for a by mail rental service when Netflix is $9.99. It's helping me save a lot of money versus buying a couple new releases at $60 a piece every month though. You don't own anything in the end but outside of multiplayer games I typically beat them and then move on anyways. There are very few that I really want to go back and play several times so renting works well for me. I know I'm playing more of the games I want to try now than I ever did when I was actually buying everything I want to play.
And if you do decide to do it, PLEASE let us know so we can do a referral. We both get a month free of service I believe.

In terms of who you should get the referral from... well.. I got kids... need more cash...so...ummm..just think about that in your decision making... NO PRESSURE... just umm... you know.. 2 kids... third on the way.. 15 bucks pays for a few meals.... okay well I think I made my point without sounding too desperate. Anyways remember Gamefly!

I had gamefly a couple years ago and never got anything I wanted... How well is the availability and shipping time on PS4 games?

And if you do decide to do it, PLEASE let us know so we can do a referral. We both get a month free of service I believe.

In terms of who you should get the referral from... well.. I got kids... need more cash...so...ummm..just think about that in your decision making... NO PRESSURE... just umm... you know.. 2 kids... third on the way.. 15 bucks pays for a few meals.... okay well I think I made my point without sounding too desperate. Anyways remember Gamefly!

Haha. Well if he wants to use a referral it's all yours. You were the one who originally referred me to Gamefly and I signed up before I saw your post about referrals. In a round about way this would just be you getting your referral from me since you were the one who turned me on to it.

I had gamefly a couple years ago and never got anything I wanted... How well is the availability and shipping time on PS4 games?
I can't speak to PS4 games, but I haven't had too many issues getting stuff in a timely manner. It's REALLY good for pre-orders, in the sense that if you put something in your queue and have an open slot when it is released, you'll likely get that game shipped out. I've had about a 92% success rate with that. Only once or twice I didn't get something on release day (actually they ship it out the day before.)

Yeah, there is strategy involved. If you want a new release right away you have to have an open spot in your Queue the day before it is released when they mail them out. I missed that by a day for GTA V and had to wait a couple weeks with nothing else in my queue for them to send it. That was an insanely popular game that take a long time to beat though.

I'll say this. If you absolutely have to have a new game the day it comes out you need to buy it. You will probably get it from Gamefly if you have an open spot but it's not guaranteed. Since the PS4/Xbox One came out I have rented 4 games. 3 out of those 4 were shipped out in the order I had them in my queue with no delays. The only exception was launch day for the PS4 when I basically had every launch game in my queue. They skipped my first game, Assassins Creed, and sent out my second game, NBA 2K14. When I sent back NBA they sent out AC4 as soon as they got it. Everything else has come in the order I requested it. If I really want a certain game I will sometimes remove everything else that has already been released from my queue. I don't know if this helps my chances or not but sometimes I would rather wait for the game I really want than have a new game as fast as possible. I will be doing that for inFamous in a couple weeks.

Hey, this evening I just picked-up a PS4 over at Costco. Costco now has them in stock, and it's a good deal since it comes bundled with a 2nd controller and a 1 Year membership to PlayStation Plus for $489.99. I just got my Costo American Express cash back check ($460 - we use our Amex almost exclusively and buy a lot of stuff from Costco) so it was a good deal for us since is comes with an extra year of warranty. Regardless, this is pretty good deal on the base system with the controller and Playstation Plus.

Attachments

• IMAG0620.jpg
    IMAG0620.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG0621.jpg
    IMAG0621.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 197
Hey, this evening I just picked-up a PS4 over at Costco. Costco now has them in stock, and it's a good deal since it comes bundled with a 2nd controller and a 1 Year membership to PlayStation Plus for $489.99. I just got my Costo American Express cash back check ($460 - we use our Amex almost exclusively and buy a lot of stuff from Costco) so it was a good deal for us since is comes with an extra year of warranty. Regardless, this is pretty good deal on the base system with the controller and Playstation Plus.

Good deal for sure!!! Welcome to the club!! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you go into the PSN store on a PC, it will let you "buy" Plus games for the PS4, even if you don't have a PS4 yet.
I was able to lay my claim on all the PS4 freebies in advance to getting one later.

That way if they are removed prior to me buying one, I'll still be able to download them. :D

Well I got my PS4 yesterday at Target... $399 + 5%off with my Target Card. And I got Assassins creed. So far I love it, but I have only played about an hour. I have Killzone on order from amazon (it was $40) which should come tomorrow. But once I play those I will probably do gamefly. I will message you yourbeliefs when Im ready to subscribe.