Getting Frustrated... How do you make VCDs or DVDs quick and easily?

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 18, 2006
I'm having all sorts of problems. I wanted to start using my computer as a dvr more or less. I've done this in the past using ATI's MMC TV thingy... which records straight to mpg, and then editing out the commercials and stuff with tmpgenc.

Problem is, right now my ati's mmc is acting up, and won't record for whatever reason... ati's all-in-wonder cards are sweet if you can get past the dll hell. I'm in that at the moment... and have been a few weeks so far.

Anyways, I tried Got All Media, and it recorded AVIs for me fine. Problem is that I couldn't figure out a free way to get the avis to mpg format for tmpg... there's some non shareware and stuff that can do it, but I'm just looking for something cheap, easy and free to make either dvds or vcds that can be burned on to a dvdr disk for playback in a typical dvd player. I love rtn and old shows on there, but some of them show up while I'm at work or doing various things during the weekend that keep me away from the tv.

I can watch the avis and stuff in the tv now since I have tv out on the all-in-wonder car, but really want to be able to record to dvd if possible... but just not at high quality dvd pixel aspect ratio so I'm not burning tons of hard drive space recording 12 hour long or more sessions and then editing them later. I really just want something that can record straight to mpg like the ati's mmc can do, if it was working, but any other thing like that that can do straight to vcd file format would be ok I guess. I've tried a lot of shareware and freeware over the last few weekends and am running in to all sorts of issues with each. Anyone have a free, simple solution to do this stuff?

I hate investing in Shareware and High End stuff since it's hit and miss just like the freeware stuff... I even tried Adobe tryouts of the latest premiere and encore... Encore will only import avis that are dvd quality pixel aspect ratio. Adobe Premiere will work with avis, but it only saves as avi. I could change aspect ratio in premiere and then import in to encore, but that's extremely frustrating and time consuming.

I just want to use my computer as a vcr more or less, that can record out to dvds. There's gotta be a simple/easy solution to this. A few years ago, I could do it with ati's mmc, but since that ain't working, and won't be for the forseeable future unless maybe I reboot everything in xp and start from scratch, and even then it's a shot in the dark that may not work... Please help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts