Getting installed right now as I type - some quick questions if anyone is here...

fugu

Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
The Installer is doing his thing on the roof even as I type.

He didn't like the initial signal but now seems to have found it and think he can make it work. WHEW

He plugged in the VOOM STB without the cable from the sat dish and expected to see some sort of welcome screen. That didn't come up. I am having him use my existing component cable that was plugged into a HD reciever (used for OTA) that worked just fine... so I know the TV and the component cable are good.

Does the voom stb need some sort of reset done or something like that? The installer is nice and professional but clearly new to VOOM installs.

He needs to plug everything to ensure that stb makes contact with VOOM. Make sure that you get a decent satellite signal above 90+. Ensure you have the correct resolution set as well. If your receiver gets the new software, it should be an easy install if he follows the installation wizard.

I've got to leave for about two hours so I won't check this thread again. I am sure that there are people here that will check and answer your questions if you post. Good luck with your install and let us know about it.

I willkeep you posted - thanks

I will definitely post as it progesses. I will ask him about the signal strength.

Sean - BTW - you do an awesome job here and these voom forums are the reason why I decided to give it a shot.

fugu said:
He plugged in the VOOM STB without the cable from the sat dish and expected to see some sort of welcome screen. Does the voom stb need some sort of reset done or something like that?
He needs to press VOOM button on the remote to get to the on-screen menu, and then green button to get to settings, etc.

Make sure he grounds your system. Mine wasn't and they are making a second trip out here to do that. Also make sure he peaks the dish at the right satellite. Wilt seems to think my rain fade issue is partly because of this.

Good points Neutron, I had two different guys peak my satellite three times at the dish with their meter and neither one could get it out of the 70's. I believe they were peaking the wrong satellite. The best thing to do is get two people, one watching the meter on the box itself and the other outside adjusting. I was able to get my signal up to 95 by watching the meter through the window and adjusting it myself. Before I had cloud fade daily, now I have not had a problem at all. Bringing my signal strength up helped all kinds of little problems I was having with my box.

kaw

sigh - its a no go.

Man, I am BUMMED. really really bummed.

Well, he first went up and said low signal but said he would try. He then came back down and said he had something. One more time up and it was a no go. Said he couldn't get a proper signal.

Wow, it is really a shame as I am just the right customer for Voom - fairly pain resistant and could get through these early adopter times without getting too bent (its my job for the company I work with to help our early adopters...)

Oh well - I guess I have read elsewhere that Voom might do new sat in October this year? If I can hold out maybe I will be back then. Thanks everyone here - this is a great forum and really made me "go for it".

fugu

for Tim - fugu is the japanese word for a poisonous blow fish. Its a big delicacy and as I understand it (having not perosnally tried it) people pay more then a $100 per serving to eat this as sushi with a TRACE of the poison on the fish for the "rush" of it. It is pronounced foo-goo.

Although after my no go voom install I feel like pronouncing it fugggg-U! :)

fugu,

where are you located? What was the main reason for not getting a signal? Was it Line of sight? Do you trees or mountains in the path where the satellite was pointing?

voom no va

Located in San Francisco... on the far west side of the city. Turns out the dish has to be practically horizontal, no real inclination. He said buildings were causing me to have too much trouble.

He was nice enough to leave the wire in place so I am considering heading out to radio shack and grabbing an antenna and just going with HD OTA for the time being.

My wife and kids though were looking forward to more channels so I may need to investigate cable (comcast) vs dish vs direct tv.

Sorry to hear that your inclination angle is so low. Maybe one day VOOM will have its own satellite in the west (hoping).

Hey guys... I'm back! Round 2

Hey guys I am back - I posted here a couple of weeks ago where the voom install eventually failed here. Well, the company doing the installs (Satellite Dogs) called back and wanted to try again. It seems like they were suspicious about the number of failed installs this particular installer was having.

They have sent out a new installer and he is trying again (even as I type) to see how it goes. He couldn't figure out how to get the component cables working but the faq about the red button did the trick (thanks guys).

I will update the thread again in a few minutes and let everyone know if voom is working.

I would really look into DirecTV if I were you- far more SAT's and easier to install due to LOS with Voom, I have both and you'd be happy with DTV.

DTV might give you a great deal if you call them and tell them you are thinking of leaving another provider, (Comcast, Voom) and if you care about football they have a great deal on Sunday Ticket.

I was lucky to have no LOS issues with Voom, it's been the one problem I didn't have with Voom. Voom isn't really adding any new HD channels (they advertise "all the time") and the PQ is much worse than when I was installed.

fugu,

glad you had the patience of dealing with the local installer who are no better with any satellite system. If you don't like it, you can always cancel and decide for yourself what is good to you and what is not. I have dealt with all three companies and they all have their goods and their bads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)