Good Books

Back on topic,

A busy couple weeks reading....

1) Finished Michael Connelly's The Reversal. Bosch is back, and as good as ever. I enjoyed the bringing together of Harry Bosch and his half-brother Mickey Haller. Good read.

2) After watching the film The Firm last week (seen it many times), I picked up the book, which I had not read in 18 years. I whipped through it. A lot of fun.

3) I finished reading Karin Slaughter's Blindsided. A little too graphic, but it was ok. I started it before The Reversal came out, and decided to finish it.

4) Just started Grisham's The Confession. Only a few pages in, but so far, so good.

Finally finished Eat, Pray, Love. It was a good book. I was talking to my grandma today (who has read all the Twilight books and seen the movies, which cracks me up) and she said that she didn't like the movie. So I told her to read the book and let me know if she likes it or not.

I have tried and tried and tried to read The Host by Steph Meyer, I just can't. I'll probably try again sometime in the future. I don't know why I want to read it, I can't get past the first few chapters. It's like a big challenge for me for some reason.

I've tried The Host a couple of times myself and can't get through it. I have a friend that read it and she says it is a great book once you get past the first 14 or so chapters. I just can't read 14 "ok" chapters in the hopes a book is going to improve. If a book doesn't hook me in the first 2-3 chapters I'm putting it down.

Haven't read anything new lately. I started the last Harry Potter today (for like the millionth time), to get ready for the movie in like 11 days. I'm so excited! :D :D

tigerprowler said:
Haven't read anything new lately. I started the last Harry Potter today (for like the millionth time), to get ready for the movie in like 11 days. I'm so excited! :D :D

I am always reading something new. :)

Had not thought about reading HP7 again.

It's my favorite of all the Harry Potter books. I remember buying the book in wichita on one of hifi's hotwheel nights and sitting in the car the whole night reading, instead of going into every store hifi stopped at to look for hotwheels.

It's my favorite of all the Harry Potter books. I remember buying the book in wichita on one of hifi's hotwheel nights and sitting in the car the whole night reading, instead of going into every store hifi stopped at to look for hotwheels.

I really took my time when I read HP7, knowing it was the end, I did not want to rush the experience. But they are great books. I have read most of them twice, but haven't gotten to 7 yet for a second read.

I am reading Grisham's the Confession, which while good, is about the death penalty, and thus depresses me a bit. I wish he'd come up with a novel that equals his old stuff, another Firm, or The Testament (which I thought was one of his great under-rated novels), with the death penalty stuff I feel like he is going over old ground again.

I wanted all the answers when I read HP7, and I wanted them fast. It was like biting my nails, I couldn't stop once I started. That's probably why I read it so much, it has all the answers to the whole series. The only thing I wondered about the other day was does he ever see his muggle family again? Not that he would want to see them, after the way they treated him for years, but I guess we just have to assume they got away safe with the wizards assigned to protect them.

Anyway, I have been trying to read Charlie St. Cloud, but I'm like halfway through it and I have no motivation to finish it. It's just an ok book. Probably be better just to watch the movie.

I've been reading a variety of things, mostly because I'm doing the summer program for 4 kids at our library. 2 of them can read (my nieces) and my two can't obviously. I read the first of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. It's a very odd series, definitely not typical for a children's book.
Ok, I finally got the movie from Netflix to watch. It was a very good movie, but it was only like the first three or four books put into the movie, if that. I did wonder how they were going to fit all 13 books into a 2 hour movie, but I thought maybe they just simplified some stuff. Not the case, so if there ever happens to be more movies, I would definitely watch them. Jim Carrey played the Count Olaf part perfectly. Anyway, just thought I'd let y'all know I finally got to see the movie. :D

Just finished John Grisham's The Confession. I enjoyed it, but its hard to walk away very satisfied by a book about wrongful conviction and execution. Actually, its depressing. :)

Not sure what's next. I am thinking another Rizzoli & Isles book. Maybe. I wish there was a kindle edition of Harry Potter 7, I might enjoy reading it again.

last 2 i read were "The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer" Philip Carlo and
"The Best Game Ever: Giants vs. Colts, 1958, and the Birth of the Modern NFL " by Mark Bowden

Just finished Atlas Shrugged preceded by The Fountainhead. Whew! Longest books I've ever read cover to cover. Rivals the Bible. The Fountainhead moved along nicely but Atlas Shrugged, was a real slow starter. But, at least now I know who John Galt is. :)

I'm doing The Overton Window now, just started today.

I just finished "Deceit" by Brandilyn Collins. This was a free Kindle download and turned out to be a very good book. The book bounces between 2004 and 2010 about every two chapters. I can't normally read books like that, but it actually worked very well with the plot in this one. I enjoyed it! I'm now reading the latest in Alyson Noel's Immortals' Series "Night Star".

Life by Keith Richards

Don't get me wrong I don't agree with everything Richards has to say but the book is a fascinating take on the early stages of the band as well as well as what happened while they were on top.

Don Landis said:
Rocky- Just started Hornet's Nest. Glad I'm not waiting for the movie. It's a good read. Thanks for the suggestion.

It is a great book. Enjoy. I am pretty sure I will reread the trilogy once every year or so. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)