Good Deal or Junk??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bloomdog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 20, 2006
I saw a posting on-line for a 9 foot rat shack satellite antenna for $150-still in boxes. I emailed the guy who posted the add and here's part of his reply:

"....The Memorex satellite receiver is a Videocipher II Plus but it does not have a module (indicated on the never opened box). It's number is SR - 2014 The catalogue number of the 4 packages for the 9' dish itself is Cat. # 16 - 2508"

I am getting pretty good with FTA Ku Band (if I do say so myself) but have little knowledge of C-Band, which this obviously is. Can someone break this down for me and explain what the guy is talking about?

Thanks, as always!

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
one man's meat is another's

Hey I don't know if I would give 150 for it (plus shipping ) It might be worth that much to somebody, but they're selling analog c-band receivers all over for nearly nothing these days. If its brand new, it might be a nice dish though.
History lesson:
Back in the olden days (late 80's, early 90's) radio shack decided to jump in the c-band stream and sold their version of a complete c-band system. The dish was a good one, but I forget who made it. I saw them in the stores a few times but they were priced out of my pocket at the time. Maybe somebody else who had one of them can tell you more. The receiver, may be c only, or c-ku but its an analog receiver. See if a motor is included too.
If it has the feedhorn/lnb included AND it's in good shape, or brand new I might offer him 75 for it and see where it goes from there! I'd want to see it first.

gabshere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 20, 2006
Rison , Arkansas
if you have space for a 9 ft dish it would be good, with feedhorn would be better..

the receiver like turbo said you can pick up the top end receivers for analog for shipping plust a few ... so they are worth only what you would pay... i find some of the older ones are hard to program. the newer ( old top end) most have a very basic onscreen menu. these are also used to move the big dish but you can substitute for a v-box and let your FTA receiver move the dish. also these receivers were used to view analog channels , videocipher channels ( going away) plus if it doesn't have a modual its only good for analog.

once you have a setup for digital c band you will ask yourself what took so long :)

Inno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 13, 2006
NW Ontario, Canada
I can't recall who made them either but I do recall that they had a not so common actuator to move the dish. I think though that it was a decent system........I only ever worked on one of them and that was probably 10 years ago. Even 10 years ago when C-band was more common I picked up quite a number of dishes for nothing, folks just wanted them hauled away. Even if it is new in box it's really not worth a lot........and as already stated, it's more the dish you want, the receiver is of limited value.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)