Good Vid Cards to get that have DVI (TV compatable) or HDMI (TV compatable)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

firstmode

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Well, my tv says "not intended for Computer monitor" So does that mean if I plugged a DVI cable from my nvidia card to my RCA 988$ 52 inch rear projection walmart tv, it would break it?

What card can I buy to get DVI out?

It won't break it, but if you leave static images on for long periods of time you can experience burn-in, but for most people that is not really a problem. On the video card front im not sure, but someone else will definately be able to help.

It might also mean that a video card might not recognize the TV and you may be limited in the resolutions that you can send to it.

for computer output, I highly recommend a 720p display.. 1080i has too much overscan, is generally too small to read, and of course interlacing makes things look bad when it comes to rectangles.

either 480p or 720p my friend.

your 52" RCA RPCRT will not support 720, but it will work with 480p.. just be warned that everything is going to be huge.

Abit R9600XT from Newegg

$137 + $2.50 3 Day shipping.

VPU Graphics Technology
- RADEON™ 9600 XT Visual Processing Unit (VPU)

Memory Configuration
- 256MB DDR Memory

Performances
- VPU Core: 500MHz
- 128-bit DDR memory interface
- 4 parallel rendering pipelines powering
- 2 parallel geometry engines
- Full Floating Point Precision in real time
- AGP 8X support
- MPEG-2 decoding with motion compensation, iDCT & color space conversion
- All-format DTV/HDTV decoding
- Adaptive de-interlacing and frame rate conversion
- Dual integrated display controllers
- Dual integrated 10-bit per channel 400MHz DACs
- Integrated 165 MHz TMDS transmitter (DVI 1.0 compliant and HDCP ready)
- Integrated TV Output support up to 1024x768 resolution
- ABIT Dynamic FAN kit
- 2D Display Modes: Resolutions, colors and maximum refresh rates (Hz) in 256, 65K or 16.7M colors

I have it myself and love it. Not used the DVI out yet but it is there, and includes and adapter changing the DVI to a regular VGA.

If you're an nVidia fan, the GeForce 6600 does HDTV out support through either DVI, or the supplied dongle that has Component out.

Neutron said:
If you're an nVidia fan, the GeForce 6600 does HDTV out support through either DVI, or the supplied dongle that has Component out.

I use a 128MB GeForce 6600GT based video card to drive a Sony LCD RPTV through DVI at 1920 by 1080i with good results (Tv is native 1366x788 or so). Windows correctly identifies the TV and there is also a utility to allow overscan correction which I used to resize my windows desktop to fit on the screen properly.

I seem to remember that somewhere in the manual it also stated that it isn't meant to be a computer monitor. Perhaps they mean it won't sync to standard PC resolutions like 1024x768, 1280x1024 etc??

If you have the time for lots of tweaking (I don't), there are utilities like Powerstrip which allow you to create custom resolutions on your video card. And if your TV has a service menu like mine you can even go in and start tweaking it for an even better picture. I haven't tried this yet as I'm satisfied with my picture quality (until someone shows me how much better it can be....).

My feeling is that most modern graphics cards with DVI output will be suitable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts