Goof up on Ultra

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
Dang it!
I was going to download the 0.9.5306 patch to my Ultra. Thought I may do it by internet thru my Ultra. While strolling thru the list of upgrades I accidentally tapped the wrong upgrade (one of the older firmwares) and before I can react to it the downloading started.
I know NOT to interfere during the downloading and installation procedure so I allow it to take its course.
The receiver rebooted and when the AZBOX boot screen came up, that's it! Won't go any further. Tried rebooting twice but no luck.
I put the 5305 patch USB stick and rebooted. No luck.
What do I need to do to get out of this mess?:sick:

put whatever FW you want to use on a usb stick and rename it "patch.bin" ... then insert usb stick in AZ and reboot the AZ. upon bootup it should see the FW and ask if you wanna upgrade to it...

Keith, that didn't work either. The USB stick would be flashing as tho it is being read. When the AZBOX logo bootup screen appear, that's it. Go no further.

press the home button then left arrow once and press ok now look on the az box at the led and see if you are on settings if your are then your vido display setting is off
and you will need a step by step to re set it because you want have the tv screen to look at, so if this is the case let me know and i will post a step by step to reset it.

Just got home. In a few minutes I will unplug the HDD and try to reboot again with the 0.9.5305 patch USB attached. Earlier I did rename it as mentioned before but no luck.
Let me give you guys a rundown of what happened last night.
I noticed my Ultra wasn't acting right the last few times I used it. Some how all the 97W channels vanished, including the satellite settings! I couldn't figure out why it happened. So I went to the settings menu to reprogram that satellite. It was not even listed. Baffled, I went and did a factory reset and started over to reprogram all the satellites. While on the Home settings I scrolled down to where I was going but stopped when I noticed I could upgrade my firmware by internet thru my Ultra. I have the 5305 FW already but been wanting to upgrade to the new 3506 FW. As I was scrolling down that list I accidentally hit the OK button and highlighted one of the older FW and all the sudden the Ultra began to start downloading. I was afraid to stop it so I let it go its course, all the way to the installing process. Did like any other downloading and installing but when my box rebooted, it go to the AZBOX logo screen. That as far as I can go.
I hope sharing this may shine some light to you guys who may have experience this and know how to get that box going again.
BTW, the Ultra doesn't have a panel describing the events of the box. Just a couple of LED lights that show the Ulta is powered on or rebooting and the other LED indicate being on the internet.
Sure hope I don't have a $300 brick...

! am not on the PAL mode on the TV screen. I see the AZBOX bootup logo just fine. Like someone just mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be able to see anything on the TV if I still on the PAL mode. Just getting past that part is the kicker.

! am not on the PAL mode on the TV screen. I see the AZBOX bootup logo just fine. Like someone just mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be able to see anything on the TV if I still on the PAL mode. Just getting past that part is the kicker.

I do not have any of those boxes but can you use the rs232 cable to load firmware? If you can try that and see if using the rs232 cable make a difference.

Candid

Couple of quick questions:

Did you have Hardware Acceleration turned on?

Do you remember what the firmware version was that you accidentally installed?

So does the AZBox logo come up and stay up, or does it disappear?

Can you then power down via the remote (and does the screen come up with the sleep/reboot/etc. options)?

Do you have it connected to your computer, if yes, while it is on the logo, can you access the AZBox via FTP?

Last edited:
Keith, I did not have the acceleration on. No, I don't remember which FW I accidentally clicked on, it happened so fast. The AZBOX logo stay on all the time. However, when I press the power button on my remote to power off the box, it would try to reboot. I have to turn it off at the back, or unplug it. None of the options appear at all.
I used the MAZ 3 to see if I can see anything. It can go into the Ultra, like telling me how much usage the HDD, USB stick, and memory has. But at the bottom of the screen, where the info of the FW is located, there is nothing there. I am concern that the memory chip of the Ultra may have been erased or corrupt. I was hoping that I can reinstall the FW thru the Maz 3. I don't think the connection can be possible. I tried using the other AZBOX softwares to connect, but it was unsuccessful.
I can't see how installing any other FW can cause the Ultra to crash. I can understand that if the FW didn't work, I could opted to get the original FW back.

I took the HDD out, and tried to reboot. That failed too.
Candid, the box does not have the RS232 like the older STBs have. I do have a ethernet port that I use for the internet/YouTube stuff.

Try this:

Turn on the AZBox (with the USB stick plugged in) and press the OK button on the box to see if that works, if not, try the same procedure with the USB stick in the port at the back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts